MMA & Boxing 17: And NEW

Gears of the Beast

Hell, that's almost impressive looking... yet find I'm curiously surprised to  see anyone even capable of walking with calf muscles like those.  

Glover's looking good but Rashad is definitely done, looked awesome against Sonnen and then had that tough injury which I believe put him out for like 2 years, it's a tough sport. 

I'm just glad to see Khabib back, I wonder if they'll give him the title shot after Ramadan, Eddie Alvarez is fighting RDA for the belt on fight pass (!?) in a few months so we'll see what happens. 

edit: also Glover's a madman for calling out Rumble, if I were him I'd call out Gus. Either way, awesome fights

8 minutes ago, Quijote Light said:

Do you have a link? I haven't seen anything official yet. 

Here. I didn't give a link because it was being announced on Sports Center live. 

edit: it's important to note that Conor may or may not have actually retired, from the UFC's careful wording it sounds like a contract dispute. 

Dana has a massive ego. Conor has a massive ego. 

This is like that Godzilla gif. "Let them fight"

2 hours ago, Gears of the Beast said:

Here. I didn't give a link because it was being announced on Sports Center live. 

edit: it's important to note that Conor may or may not have actually retired, from the UFC's careful wording it sounds like a contract dispute. 

Retirement just seems like him going over the top to win the standoff. 

Dana could have thought he'd come to his senses after being pulled or would show up for another fight. Conor can't go fight for someone else so he "retires" to force Dana's had. 

Hopefully this can all be reversed somehow, because otherwise the only thing that's happened is huge disappointment.

Seems like White is serious about finding a different opponent for Diaz though. All because McGregor didn't want to do press conferences and promotion. What an asshole.

21 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Seems like White is serious about finding a different opponent for Diaz though. All because McGregor didn't want to do press conferences and promotion. What an asshole.

That is absolutely not what caused this and the fact that they came up with such a flagrant lie is pretty telling. 

It is what I've been reading all over. What is it that you've been hearing is the reason?

White has come out and said it had to do with promotion and press conferences. McGregor's camp has not yet countered this as far as I have seen.

2 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

It is what I've been reading all over. What is it that you've been hearing is the reason?

White has come out and said it had to do with promotion and press conferences. McGregor's camp has not yet countered this as far as I have seen.

So there's a few reasons why this is clearly a lie. 

1. The fight is 3 months away, you don't cancel any fight because a guy can't show up to a press conference 3 months out let alone one of the biggest fights in the history of the promotion

2. Conor is literally the best self promoter in the sport's history, Dana going around saying shit like "well you gotta promote yourself" is hilarious, considering who he's talking about

3. The UFC has been bending over backwards for Conor since he became a thing, the idea that he can't go to a press conference and suddenly 'sorry man, rules are rules can't fight at UFC 200 anymore' is absurd.

4. Hours before any of this even happens Conor tweets that he's retiring, without any reference to this the UFC comes out and says that they've pulled him from the card because he didn't show up to a press conference....this is obviously a game of chicken

5. MMA media have been prancing around floating rumours of a 'rift' between UFC and Conor for months now. The idea being that they've created a promotional monster that knows his worth and can leverage the company to get pretty much anything he wants. And the UFC obviously aren't happy about that, and this is the result. Big squabble most likely over Conor's payout for UFC 200, neither of them backs down and suddenly Conor "retires" and the UFC "pulls him from the card for not going to a press conference". 

Hope this is just hardballing, McGregor is ridiculously entertaining and pretty much the only mma fighter with the pull to bring MMA into the main stream.

Have read several things on it but what strikes me is that we've only heard Dana White's story, and he's notorious for being selective with the truth and generally being full of shit. Apart from a couple of puzzling tweets, Conor's side haven't said anything so it's all just speculation flying around that the moment.

Only thing I know for certain is both sides will lose out on a crap tonne load of money if they don't resolve it, so i'd be very surprised if he doesn't fight before year end.

Archived