Trailer thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I have to say, that looked a lot better than I expected. I'm still not sold though. Frankly, this still feels like an ill-thought project to keep the cash cow alive. And I still think it lessens the original HP films. How are we supposed to believe that Voldemort was the worst dark wizard ever if he only did some stuff in the UK without causing much trouble in the rest of the magical world?

I'm a big vague on the world's chronology but presumably this would all be before Voldemort?

That King Arthur film looks as bad (although not in the same way) as the Camelot TV show from a few years ago.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I'm a big vague on the world's chronology but presumably this would all be before Voldemort?

Yes indeed, the 1930s if I'm not mistaken. My point is that by expanding the magical world, Voldemort's achievements (for lack of a better word) seem positively insignificant, since there is never really any mention of action in other theatres of war in the original series.

Spoiler

The closest we get is that trip to the giants and Ron's disguise when they try to break into Gringotts.

How are we supposed to believe that this is the worst practioner of black magic of all time if he only ever proved a danger to the population of the UK? :)

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

That King Arthur film looks as bad (although not in the same way) as the Camelot TV show from a few years ago.

I swear, that series had the worst version of King Arthur ever in it. I was a big fan of their Guinevere though, for obvious reasons :P 

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Yes indeed, the 1930s if I'm not mistaken. My point is that by expanding the magical world, Voldemort's achievements (for lack of a better word) seem positively insignificant, since there is never really any mention of action in other theatres of war in the original series.

Hide contents

The closest we get is that trip to the giants and Ron's disguise when they try to break into Gringotts.

How are we supposed to believe that this is the worst practioner of black magic of all time if he only ever proved a danger to the population of the UK? :)

Voldemort was probably too much of a snob to bother much with the colonies.

I agree that it might have been nice to get at least an occasional mention of these American wizards in the original series, there aren't any that I remember.

I swear, that series had the worst version of King Arthur ever in it. I was a big fan of their Guinevere though, for obvious reasons

:P 

When a series features Eva Green in a prominent role and I find I don't want to watch it, it must be doing something really wrong.

There are some stories that Guy Ritchie should not touch. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

I swear, that series had the worst version of King Arthur ever in it. I was a big fan of their Guinevere though, for obvious reasons :P 

How much you want to bet that Charlie Hunnam will be worse than Jamie Campbell Bower?

2 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

BBC America premiered the trailer for their upcoming series Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

I am of course fully on board, but you kind of got my hopes up they were bringing Stephen Mangan back.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

'Peter Jackson descent into bad filmmaking started with King Kong'

Peter Jacksons descent was well evidenced in the last two LotR's films at least.

10 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Man, this trailer provokes a lot of response from me:

1) When did boxing movies become popular again? I feel like we have been swamped with these over the last couple of years.

2) Being in a boxing movie with Robert De Niro as your coach? That's tough competition to go up against.

and finally:

3) Man, if this guy can't even beat Usher, than I'm not so sure I even want to watch this.

Mate don't you dare be hating on Roberto Duran. :angry:

3 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

BBC America premiered the trailer for their upcoming series Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

Ooooh, that looks shiny and chrome :)

One thing that baffles me though is where does BBC America get the money for this? They are doing this all alone and manage to snag Elijah Wood? They make some bold choices, as The Last Kingdom shows. Let's hope this falls in the same bracket quality wise :D

58 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Peter Jacksons descent was well evidenced in the last two LotR's films at least.

I like The Two Towers the best :P I feel like both films are vastly better when you fast forward through all the Sam & Frodo stuff anyway :leaving:

11 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Mate don't you dare be hating on Roberto Duran. :angry:

Can he beat Usher though? :P 

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

How much you want to bet that Charlie Hunnam will be worse than Jamie Campbell Bower?

I have to admit, I'm not really familiar with Hunnam's output. That being said, I can't really imagine a whimpier, moppier version of Arthur than JCB... Hunnam doesn't look the part, but surely he can't be that bad? :P

8 hours ago, williamjm said:

When a series features Eva Green in a prominent role and I find I don't want to watch it, it must be doing something really wrong.

Acting wise, she was the best thing about it :)

Voldemort was probably too much of a snob to bother much with the colonies.

I always rationalized it by thinking of the UK as like the homecountry for wizards, like 80% of all wizards live there or something like it, but that rationalization is really being threatend by this movie (and the rationalization wasn't a strong one to start, seeing how there are two competing schools of witchcraft and wizardry on the continent alone). :( 

I agree that it might have been nice to get at least an occasional mention of these American wizards in the original series, there aren't any that I remember.

I think there might have been a mention of American wizards in book four during the Quidditch world championship. Anyway, for me this is just further prove that JK Rowling, as much as I have fond memories of HP, just isn't that great a worldbuilder. The books are still good of course, but they do unravel a bit if you just focus on that aspect of the series. 

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

He beat Usher before he lost to Usher*... :angry:

*In real life. I don't know what liberties they'll take for the film, of course.

So, when both fighters met for the final Climax, He Got It Bad and felt it Burn? :P 

Apologies if this was already posted, I didn't see it.

Trailer for American Gods.

It really looks like they've nailed the feel of the book, and Ian McShane seems perfect. I'm not sure about Shadow, he mostly just stands there in the trailer, but then again he did a lot of standing around in the book too. Seems like they're covering maybe the first quarter of the book for the first season.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Apologies if this was already posted, I didn't see it.

Trailer for American Gods.

It really looks like they've nailed the feel of the book, and Ian McShane seems perfect. I'm not sure about Shadow, he mostly just stands there in the trailer, but then again he did a lot of standing around in the book too. Seems like they're covering maybe the first quarter of the book for the first season.

There is a thread for the show a couple of pages back. I did like the book, but one thing I did have mixed feelings about was how passive Shadow was for a lot of the story, I think it does make sense as characterisation but it means the story can feel a bit meandering at times.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Trailer for Mel Gibson directed WWII movie Hacksaw Ridge.

:drool: As someone who is really sick of WW II movies, I have to say this looks awesome. I hope Mad Mel does it again!

35 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

What the fuck :shocked:

38 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

:lol: From the director of:

The Sixth Sense
Unbreakable
Signs
The Visit

I wondered what happened in between Signs and The Visit :P :rofl:

Seriously though, this looks like it could be really, really good. The director makes me wary, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Archived