Trailer thread II

AncalagonTheBlack

3 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Although, I really don't get why they bring out trailers if the effects aren't ready in such an effect heavy film :dunno: Seems like a pretty stupid marketing move no? :) 

It's about the timing. Blockbuster season is kicking into gear, and as a December release they'll have been wanting a trailer out asap - and with Warcraft out soon, I'd be very surprised if they hadn't timed the release so it runs before that.

It isn't that uncommon these days anyway, I find. Effects work tends to keep going till late before the movie's release whereas the marketing campaigns start earlier and earlier.

also: I really need to see the other two vengeance films. Fucking love Oldboy.

Should see Thirst too really. On the other hand I have seen I'm a Cyborg. Now that film is weird.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's about the timing. Blockbuster season is kicking into gear, and as a December release they'll have been wanting a trailer out asap - and with Warcraft out soon, I'd be very surprised if they hadn't timed the release so it runs before that.

It isn't that uncommon these days anyway, I find. Effects work tends to keep going till late before the movie's release whereas the marketing campaigns start earlier and earlier.

All reasonable arguments, but I still question the wisdom of bringing something out that is so not ready :) 

3 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Hmm, to be honest, I wasn't that wild about Oldboy when I saw it a couple of years ago. Are the others very similar in story? :) 

Thematically they're pretty similar, yes. 

Also, you should feel bad for not liking Oldboy. :P 

1 hour ago, Ramsay Blow said:

The international trailer for The Neon Demon is a little darker than the first one.

Looking forward to this one, looks interesting, and yes pretty dark

Just about the only film I'm looking forward to this summer and probably will see in a theater is The Free State of Jones.  The historical figure(s) and their stories are brilliant, from all the accounts I've read over the years.  Trailer here.

47 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Just about the only film I'm looking forward to this summer and probably will see in a theater is The Free State of Jones.  The historical figure(s) and their stories are brilliant, from all the accounts I've read over the years.  Trailer here.

Is that a new one? Because I watched the old one and that was one of the worst trailers I have had the displeasure of watching in quite a while. Such an interesting story and they just go out of their way to spoil every twist and turn in the film. 

4 hours ago, Veltigar said:

Is that a new one? Because I watched the old one and that was one of the worst trailers I have had the displeasure of watching in quite a while. Such an interesting story and they just go out of their way to spoil every twist and turn in the film. 

Have no idea if it's a new one.  Could be since it releases June 28th, I think.

11 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Have no idea if it's a new one.  Could be since it releases June 28th, I think.

I'll not take any chances I think :) The subject matter looks interesting and the McConnaissance has to make amends for Sea of Trees, so I hope this is going to be awesome. I won't risk diminishing the surprises of that film by watching what could potentially be another (or the very same) crummy trailer.

I've seen some rough cuts of some of the sequences -- and they were splendid.  But I haven't seen the whole thing, and certainly not the edited theatrical version.  But I sure was left salivating for the premiere!

A bunch of trailers of upcoming tv shows dropped last night.

Falling Water (USA Network)

Shots Fired (FOX)

APB (FOX)

24: Legacy (FOX)

PRISON BREAK (FOX)

THE EXORCIST (FOX)

Son of Zorn (Fox)

Lethal Weapon (FOX)

Pitch (Fox)

Designated Survivor (ABC)

TIMELESS (NBC)

43 minutes ago, Mandy said:

I agree.  It is better than the first trailer, but still looks pretty bad.  Am also super annoyed that people are using this movie as a pro-feminist argument because, being a feminist, I can say that this movie just looks generally unfunny and lame :(  I hope I'm wrong, but... yeah.

It possible to be against a movie with a mostly-female cast without being an MRA asshole. The trick is to be against the movie for reasons that have nothing to do with the cast. For instance, I also think the movie looks bad, and my reason is that none of the jokes are doing anything for me and the effects look like something out of a theme park ride.

I was predisposed to not like the movie, but that's just because I hold the original in such high regard and because I have hated just about every reboot/remake/sequel of classic '80s films (Mad Max: Fury Road being the big exception). 

1 minute ago, Fez said:

because I have hated just about every reboot/remake/sequel of classic '80s films (Mad Max: Fury Road being the big exception). 

Mate Creed was awesome. Not as awesome as Fury Road, admittedly, but still*.

*I know Rocky is technically a 70s movie. But it feels so 80s...

36 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Mate Creed was awesome. Not as awesome as Fury Road, admittedly, but still*.

*I know Rocky is technically a 70s movie. But it feels so 80s...

I haven't seen Creed yet, but I have heard good things about it.

However, I also feel like film franchises that never really went away are a different beast from old movies being brought back because Hollywood is completely out of ideas. Rocky's a borderline case, but V (which was terrible) came out in 1990 and Rocky Balboa came out in 2006, so Creed wasn't reaching back 30+ years for an idea.

Same way that I don't have a problem with there continuing to be James Bond movies, or Alien or Predator or Terminator movies (even though all of those post-1991 have been terrible).

Archived