Rant and Rave Without Repercussions - Includes Season 6 Spoilers

HexMachina

13 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

Always look on the bright side of life... Wait, the show doesn't go there, either.

Just gloom, despair, and agony. Deep dark depression, excessive misery. If it weren't for bad luck, they'd have no luck at all...

Yes, it will be the theme song for Season 6.

9 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Gah!!!  :tantrum: Again, I really, really, really..........am beyond fed up with the D's!!

Thank you for the wondrous reminder of Nymeria!!!  Her and her pack are such a PRESENCE in the Riverlands, even when not mentioned.  

#FuckHBO  #FuckDnD

What is this Riverlands of which you speak?  Wasn't that in Middle Earth, or maybe Narnia?  I'm, ahem, Lost.

3 hours ago, LongRider said:

Step back from the corn!  Bran fed the WF ravens corn, right out of his hand!

Mormont's raven was having what ever Jon was having, bacon, eggs, whatever.  And corn.

edt; the Bran quote is from A Game of Thrones.  :)

I admit I was partially wrong (quote back) and if Maester Aemon says it:

Jon shifted the bucket to his right hand and thrust his left down into the bloody bits. The ravens began to scream noisily and fly at the bars, beating at the metal with night-black wings. The meat had been chopped into pieces no larger than a finger joint. He filled his fist and tossed the raw red morsels into the cage, and the squawking and squabbling grew hotter. Feathers flew as two of the larger birds fought over a choice piece. Quickly Jon grabbed a second handful and threw it in after the first. "Lord Mormont's raven likes fruit and corn."
"He is a rare bird," the maester said. "Most ravens will eat grain, but they prefer flesh. It makes them strong, and I fear they relish the taste of blood. In that they are like men … and like men, not all ravens are alike.

Gosh, stop talking about Mormont's raven! Just another animal ignored by the Ds.

You just make me want to take out the Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide again. The picture itself pains me with an animated James Cosmo with a huge raven screaming 'Corn!' on his shoulder. Things that could have been...

600x338.jpg

Sadly enough, I haven't found a screenshot with the raven on my google sweep... But I know it accompanied him in the mess hall.

During my rereadings I am really sad about the absence of Raven in the show. IMO there is too much screen time for the Dragons and too less for the other animals but then even the dragons didn't get their name. We also didn't get our elk. 

In Memoriam:

• Mormont's Raven
  • Dany's Silver
  • Nymeria
  • Ghost who is not Rover
  • Shaggy Dog
  • Grey Wind who doesn't die in a box
  • Rhaegal and Viserion who are not extras
  • Drogon who is not a cranky baby
  • Stranger
  • Honor and Glory
  • Ser Pounce, Lady Whiskers and Boots
  • Balerion the mean cat
  • (Penny's dog and pig, even though I think I'll get a beating for mentioning them... and honestly, I wouldn't have adapted them myself)

Did I miss anyone?

Animals that are going to become important and surely will never come up:

• Arya's cats
  • Sansa's falcon

38 minutes ago, Toth said:

In Memoriam:

• Mormont's Raven
  • Dany's Silver
  • Nymeria
  • Ghost who is not Rover
  • Shaggy Dog
  • Stranger
  • Honor and Glory
  • Balerion the mean cat
  • (Penny's dog and pig, even though I think I'll get a beating for mentioning them... and honestly, I wouldn't have adapted them myself)

Did I miss anyone?

• Arya's cats
  • Sansa's falcon

The hound from the Fingers!

3 hours ago, Tijgy said:

During my rereadings I am really sad about the absence of Raven in the show. IMO there is too much screen time for the Dragons and too less for the other animals but then even the dragons didn't get their name. We also didn't get our elk. 

It pisses me off so much as a Stark and Direwolf lover that we get jack shit in the way of scenes with them because "budget" yet the dragons are always there >:(

The reason animals aren't in the show anymore is because the D's have claimed they're too difficult to work with, whereas dragons can appear constantly because they're purely CGI. 

So it's not really to do with budget, it's just "uggh we can't be bothered".

5 hours ago, Toth said:

In Memoriam:

• Mormont's Raven
  • Dany's Silver
  • Nymeria
  • Ghost who is not Rover
  • Shaggy Dog
  • Stranger
  • Honor and Glory
  • Balerion the mean cat

Did I miss anyone?

• Arya's cats
  • Sansa's falcon little bird

And Dog! Sandor's stand-in number 2. He's big like him, and protects Septon Meribald, and is his own dog. (Stranger is number 1, he has his master's nature.)

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The hound from the Fingers!

Hell, yeah! Sansa's stand-in for Sandor parade. Number 1, get her a dog, she'll be happier for it, the Hound for Lady. Number 2, the hound, she makes fast friends with him and he licks her face and she ruffles his fur, and she sleeps with him. Number 3, Lothor is his rescuing stand-in, she thinks it's Sandor there to rescue her, but it's him, and then she is matchmaker between him and a bastard girl, like the Hound and herself. Number 4, Sweetrobin is his kissing stand-in. Add in the other hounds and dogs she thought about... (Hmmm, I think she likes Sandor.)

More stand-ins among them, Silver for Drogo for Drogon (ride the dragon), and Balerion for Jon (the black bastard who is king), and Arya's cat for Catelyn (because her mother's name is Cat and not your sister), and Mormont's Raven for Bloodraven (yeah, all of that), and Ghost, Nymeria, and the other direwolves for the Starks themselves (they are not just fluffy pets), and Honor for Jaime's honor (because in the books, he wanted to do something good, not be Cersei's thrall), ...

27 minutes ago, LazyBazooka said:

The reason animals aren't in the show anymore is because the D's have claimed they're too difficult to work with, whereas dragons can appear constantly because they're purely CGI. 

So it's not really to do with budget, it's just "uggh we can't be bothered".

Agreed!  Don't professional film companies hire professional animal trainers and wranglers?  It's not like providing animals for the film industry is rare.  

And it's not like CG-Direwolves are that much more expansive than CG-dragons. You don't even need to upsize actual dogs for that.

Or CG-falcons. Or hideously large CG-ravens. Cheaper than an army of wacky skeletons or 600 lifelike masks nobody can see in any case...

And yes, sorry for missing the dog. It seems the falcon drew too much of my attention there. Well that and Littlefinger's scheming, Sweetrobyn's poisoning, Sansa's bonding with Mya and Myranda and of course her growing perceptiveness for the people around her. And people treat those chapters as if nothing happened...

They said Ser Pounce was so difficult, but all they really had to do was having him in Tommen's lap so they could pet him. There are some cats who just sit there like a lump in your lap all day. Get one that's not bothered by lights and a bunch of people hanging around (also pretty easy) and voila. That was a terrible excuse for not bringing him back.

2 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

They said Ser Pounce was so difficult, but all they really had to do was having him in Tommen's lap so they could pet him. There are some cats who just sit there like a lump in your lap all day. Get one that's not bothered by lights and a bunch of people hanging around (also pretty easy) and voila. That was a terrible excuse for not bringing him back.

Wait... they actually attempted an excuse? I mean... how can they... that actually makes the entire thing even more terrible. "We can't bother to film with actual cats so we need some sort of replacement. Apparently Marg presents them to Tommen as an act of kindness and to show how she tries to get in good favour with him so that she can get him out of the clutches of Cersei so that he won't turn out like Joffrey. I mean... ugh... that's deep shit or something. An act of kindness? From a young woman to a small boy? How about sex! Yeah, just replace those stupid animals with sex. Young boys sure like that as well..."

5 hours ago, Toth said:

Gosh, stop talking about Mormont's raven! Just another animal ignored by the Ds.

You just make me want to take out the Game of Thrones RPG from Cyanide again. The picture itself pains me with an animated James Cosmo with a huge raven screaming 'Corn!' on his shoulder. Things that could have been...

600x338.jpg

Sadly enough, I haven't found a screenshot with the raven on my google sweep... But I know it accompanied him in the mess hall.

Cosmo with a raven on his shoulder would have been good to see.

5 minutes ago, Toth said:

Wait... they actually attempted an excuse? I mean... how can they... that actually makes the entire thing even more terrible. "We can't bother to film with actual cats so we need some sort of replacement. Apparently Marg presents them to Tommen as an act of kindness and to show how she tries to get in good favour with him so that she can get him out of the clutches of Cersei so that he won't turn out like Joffrey. I mean... ugh... that's deep shit or something. An act of kindness? From a young woman to a small boy? How about sex! Yeah, just replace those stupid animals with sex. Young boys sure like that as well..."

They sure did.

Then you go into the Tommen, Margaery and Ser Pounce scene. In the book he was a kitten but I arrive on set, and they’ve cast a sumo wrestler cat. This is probably the last time you’ll see Ser Pounce because filming with a cat is a nightmare.

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2014/4/28/interview-with-bryan-cogman

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

Cosmo with a raven on his shoulder would have been good to see.

Like I said: In the game Mormont has both the face of Cosmo and the talking raven. And it is awesome!

18 minutes ago, Toth said:

And it's not like CG-Direwolves are that much more expansive than CG-dragons. You don't even need to upsize actual dogs for that.

Or CG-falcons. Or hideously large CG-ravens. Cheaper than an army of wacky skeletons or 600 lifelike masks nobody can see in any case...

I think it's the fur and hair that is particularly tricky and time-consuming.

Still, the neglect of certain other animals I agree is unforgivable.

I'd rather see something not so beautifully done than nothing at all.

Cut to shots of real wolves and then cut back to the character, yeah, it's obvious something's up there, if you look closely, but the actors can compensate for that.

Like it was obvious the hobbits in LOTR were really not that much smaller, but I lived with it.

Also was just thinking, it would have been good for Tommen to have been petting Ser Pounce when he started to become disillusioned about Margaery. If indeed he has, who knows what's going on in this show.

These are little touches that say a lot. And they make the characters seem real.

Kitty scene in Bell, Book, and Candle (by the way, he was 50, she was 25, and it was a good romance, it's the magic of acting, and storytelling, and all that...)

Archived