New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

At what point does "passion" turn into "intellectual theft?"

I think the guidelines are fair.  If you want to make a truly amateur production and get some friends together in your garage and film your encounter with strange new worlds; that's fine.  But if you want to make your own TV show... that's not fine.

I'm not suggesting that they're wrong to impose guidelines.  I'm suggesting that they chosen the wrong ones.  

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

At what point does "passion" turn into "intellectual theft?"

Not before the fans start making a profit out of it, certainly. And Axanar is the only project that's tried that.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I go back to my GRRM example.  Just because the media is different, why should we treat it any different?

A Tower of Joy fan film raised $15k last year and was release a couple of months ago, and nobody has objected to it. It's smaller scale than your example, but I don't see how it's any different in kind.

Interview with Bryan Fuller.

The new series will not be set pre-TNG and will not be an anthology series. It will allow characters from the older series to be revisited. That pretty much confirms it will be the Prime timeline, and strongly suggests it will be post-DS9, post-Voyager.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

The new series will not be set pre-TNG and will not be an anthology series. It will allow characters from the older series to be revisited. That pretty much confirms it will be the Prime timeline, and strongly suggests it will be post-DS9, post-Voyager.

That's good news. I would love it if they brought Sisko out of the wormhole.  

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Quite a massive turnaround from all the speculation!

Like I've said I wasn't too keen on an anthology set up but keen on the show following separate threads eg combining elements of next gen. DS9 and voyager into one show. The GOT format for a lazy comparison.

It would be great to see some characters return. The Doctor, Data and Dax are essentially immortal so good candidates for appearing at any point in the future. Dax has the added bonus of not being tied to actors either (although I guess it would be easy to come up with ways of doing so with the Doctor and Data. the triple D :)

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

That's good news. I would love it if they brought Sisko out of the wormhole.  

I imagine Avery Brooks could almost be tempted to tackle the character again (for a short stint) as it would be fascinating to see how a human mind works having lived as an almost god-like entity in a different dimension for X amount of years.

Hell, I'd even like to see a couple of Voyager characters pop up as long as they aren't integral components of the show (barring the doctor)

I get the impression that he means if the show stays on the air for a few years they might drop one or two cameos in, not them playing any kind of integeral role. They don't want people to feel they have to go off and watch 726 previous episodes of five separate TV shows before they can enjoy this one.

Slightly concerned about this " And what it does allow us is, we are not subject to broadcast standards and practices. So we can have profanity if we choose -- not that I want to see a "Star Trek" with lots of profanity. But we can certainly be more graphic than you would on broadcast network television. "

I don't want Star Trek to be "HBO" star trek. Mild profanity ok - especially if it follows a different species (although it'd be made up swearing) or a group of human society that's less federation-like. It doesn't need to have graphic violence and sex though. I think "Hannibal" would probably be too far a swing even. To be fair the quote even suggests he doesn't want to do that and I guess the implication is more about freedom with storytelling.

In terms of the progressive casting/characters surely the obvious direction is to include gender-identity/sexuality. I don't think there's been an openly gay character in Trek, right (which seems bizarre at this point) but I think it would be good to explore gender more. Have humans where male/female doesn't exist (like in Leckie's Ancillary books) and a world where gender identification and body are fluid.

If it wasn't for the fact you never work with animals (although CGI is an option) I'd love higher primates to feature as part of earth society. By then we may have recognised these creatures are sentient and should have cracked how to communicate with them. Other animals are welcome too. Probably not as regulars but should appear in some format. Imagine having a Gorilla as part of the crew though - it'd say a lot about how we should be considering out treatment of them if they appear as equals in the future.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I get the impression that he means if the show stays on the air for a few years they might drop one or two cameos in, not them playing any kind of integeral role. They don't want people to feel they have to go off and watch 726 previous episodes of five separate TV shows before they can enjoy this one.

Yeah. A bit like they did with Dax in DS9 where it didn't really matter if you'd seen the previous incarnation in next gen. Maybe have it slightly less frequent than the way "better call Saul" features guest-stars from "breaking Bad".

I've been looking forward to new Trek for a while and recent events in the UK has me wanting to see some TV where things are a bit brighter and optimistic! The US might feel the same after their elections.

A bit like they did with Dax in DS9 where it didn't really matter if you'd seen the previous incarnation in next gen

Dax's previous incarnation was not in TNG.

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Dax's previous incarnation was not in TNG.

they did an even better job then with the flashback episode. Althogh it really highlights how long it is since I've seen these shows :)

11 hours ago, red snow said:

It would be great to see some characters return. The Doctor, Data and Dax are essentially immortal so good candidates for appearing at any point in the future.

The Doctor and Data should be unaging, though, and the actors aren't, so they're the least appropriate characters to reappear, unless they're planning on jumping forward a century or something. Setting the new show 16 years after the end of Voyager seems more practical.

11 hours ago, red snow said:

Quite a massive turnaround from all the speculation!

Like I've said I wasn't too keen on an anthology set up but keen on the show following separate threads eg combining elements of next gen. DS9 and voyager into one show. The GOT format for a lazy comparison.

It would be great to see some characters return. The Doctor, Data and Dax are essentially immortal so good candidates for appearing at any point in the future. Dax has the added bonus of not being tied to actors either (although I guess it would be easy to come up with ways of doing so with the Doctor and Data. the triple D :)

I imagine Avery Brooks could almost be tempted to tackle the character again (for a short stint) as it would be fascinating to see how a human mind works having lived as an almost god-like entity in a different dimension for X amount of years.

Hell, I'd even like to see a couple of Voyager characters pop up as long as they aren't integral components of the show (barring the doctor)

I know in the books that took place after the show ended Sisko came back in less than a year but since it isn't canon they can change that. 

I don't really mind mixing elements of TNG, DS9 and Voyager. They take place at the same time essentially. It wouldn't shock me to see Riker, Troi and the Titan. 

15 hours ago, felice said:

The Doctor and Data should be unaging, though, and the actors aren't, so they're the least appropriate characters to reappear, unless they're planning on jumping forward a century or something. Setting the new show 16 years after the end of Voyager seems more practical.

I was thinking a generation gap but I guess in terms of having next gen onwards cast available it would be sensible to simply set it however many years it is since the last trek film/Voyager ended.

There's still work arounds for Data and the Doctor - the simple one being both want to put other humans at ease by artificially ageing at the same rate. It's bolocks but SF has a proud tradition of doing this kind of stuff :)

15 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I know in the books that took place after the show ended Sisko came back in less than a year but since it isn't canon they can change that. 

I don't really mind mixing elements of TNG, DS9 and Voyager. They take place at the same time essentially. It wouldn't shock me to see Riker, Troi and the Titan. 

What kind of mental state was Sisko in when he returned in the books?

5 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't remember what kind of state he was in mentally.  It wouldbe nice to explore it on screen.  

He wasn't in the best place. But he did captain a Galaxy Class ship and eventually worked things out with Cassidy...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Given the existing trek shows are now back on netflix uk (Yay!) I'm hoping that's where they'll drop the new show in terms of the UK

Um, do they realize the acronym is STD?

Questions to ask your friends:  Are you looking forward to STD? Will you share STD with your friends and loved ones? Do you think this strain of STD will catch on?

Archived