New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Probably, but I hope not. I like Section 31. 

Except Section 31 has never been anything but a antagonist in the Trek universe.  It's hard to put them front and center as the showcase for the show when they're not meant to be a positive thing...

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Except Section 31 has never been anything but a antagonist in the Trek universe.  It's hard to put them front and center as the showcase for the show when they're not meant to be a positive thing...

I liked them because they were an antagonist. Seeing humans that are willing to compromise themselves so the rest of is don't have to always appealed to me. 

I suppose one or two members could be Section 31. But having an entire ship running black ops would be cool. 

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Is it going to be the hapless first officer who doesn't know he's on a Section 31 speech and after discovering what's going on he or she has to take the agency down...?

I don't think JJ Abrams is involved in the tv show :)

A lot of people have commented on the music sounding like Klingon war drums from previous shows/films. It could just be the show trying to emulate 2001: Space odyssey though.

Given that it's been such a long time since the last Trek on TV I might be a bit surprised if they did something too radical with the premise, and following a black-ops unit like Section 31 would be a break with the traditional optimism of Trek. That said, if they did do that I think I could find it interesting, but I'm not sure they will.

AICN talked to Fuller.  It's sounding like Section 31 may not exist yet but a precursor might be part of the story.  At least that's how I interpreted his comments.  Also, according to this it's pre-Kirk, which is not surprising except for everyone who insisted it was post-Voyager.

3 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Also, according to this it's pre-Kirk, which is not surprising except for everyone who insisted it was post-Voyager.

So, Enterprise season 5?!? Or at least a decent chance of cameos from older versions of various Enterprise characters.

22 minutes ago, felice said:

So, Enterprise season 5?!? Or at least a decent chance of cameos from older versions of various Enterprise characters.

Also since it's pre-Kirk, none of that Prime/Abrams-verse questions any longer since both verses are the same before Kirk was born.

Meh. I was hoping it was post-Voyager. We've had the Abramsverse, TOS, Enterprise, First Contact......it feels well covered this whole period. What more interesting things can be done with the prequel concept? Once again, the aesthetics are all restrained in that they have to lead to TOS somehow, more so than Enterprise. It feels like ST has marked out its time period and this is all its willing to depict.

8 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

AICN talked to Fuller.  It's sounding like Section 31 may not exist yet but a precursor might be part of the story.  At least that's how I interpreted his comments.  Also, according to this it's pre-Kirk, which is not surprising except for everyone who insisted it was post-Voyager.

At first I was going to get all pissy about "they said a while ago it wasn't pre-next gen" but the actual comments by Fuller give nothing away. All the leading evidence is extrapolated by the author of the article.

I look forward to Aug 10th when some proper details are finally revealed. I don't get the secrecy of stating when the show is set and feel like the longer they leave it, the more chances there are for people to fall in love with fan theories of when it's set. Just tell us and they avoid that - we'll still speculate about everything else of course!

I just don't want this turning into "into darkness" where it transpires the produces have been messing us around and outright lying at points just to keep things "secret"

7 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Meh. I was hoping it was post-Voyager. We've had the Abramsverse, TOS, Enterprise, First Contact......it feels well covered this whole period. What more interesting things can be done with the prequel concept? Once again, the aesthetics are all restrained in that they have to lead to TOS somehow, more so than Enterprise. It feels like ST has marked out its time period and this is all its willing to depict.

As mentioned above...I'm some.ways it becomes a season 5 of Enterprise.  Right or wrong.  Based on what's already been revealed about tthat particular time frame, it sounds like they may want to actually explore the founding of the Federation, or its very early beginnings.  It could present material that might be relevant to today...

Would they bring back some of the Enterprise actors though...?

6 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As mentioned above...I'm some.ways it becomes a season 5 of Enterprise.  Right or wrong.  Based on what's already been revealed about tthat particular time frame, it sounds like they may want to actually explore the founding of the Federation, or its very early beginnings.  It could present material that might be relevant to today...

Would they bring back some of the Enterprise actors though...?

Too bad the Enterprise books don't count because in one of them they explained away Tripp's death by saying it was a fake out by Section 31. Seeing an ancient Tripp would be cool. Or Reed for that matter. 

17 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Too bad the Enterprise books don't count because in one of them they explained away Tripp's death by saying it was a fake out by Section 31. Seeing an ancient Tripp would be cool. Or Reed for that matter. 

Didn't one of them also have the actual Kobayashi Maru incident?

21 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Technically the show creators could look to adapt...if they wanted to.

13 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Fuller hinting the captain will be a black woman, inspired by NASA astronaut Mae Jemison.

Can we get a Gines Torres or a Nicole Beharie?

Torres would be a great shout - especially as she has worked with Fuller on "hannibal". Plus she could easily do captain in charge. It would probably put a smile on the faces of Firefly fans too.

Given the emphasis on "firsts" I guess Laverne Cox could also be a good shout. Although I don't know if she's still active on "Orange is the new black"

On 8/1/2016 at 11:33 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Keep your eyes glued to the Internet on Aug. 10; Fuller says he’s going to “spoiler it up” during the “Star Trek” panel on that penultimate day here at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

I gather this hasn't happened yet?

Archived