New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

Technically it isn't. Voyager and Enterprise were VGR (although everyone called it VOY) and ENT (no-one ever called them STV or STE), and Discovery's shortened title is officially DSC.

Interesting that they're using Ralph McQuarrie's concept art from The Motion Picture. It also implies that the Discovery is an old ship (older than TOS's Enterprise, in fact) but Fuller did indicate previously that it would be set post-Voyager. It might be an old ship called back into service or it might have travelled forwards in time. Or he might have simply changed his mind on that.

Yup. They've never entirely been clear on what the numbers mean, but there is a general trend from the two-digit numbers of Enterprise to the four of TOS to the five of the TNG era.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

http://www.startrek.com/article/introducing-the-u-s-s-discovery

It looks like the bastard child of a old Klingon battle cruiser and the Enterprise-E.

Isn't the the Enterprise-E the Sovereign class one that's in the 3 of the 4 TNG movies? The saucer of this one doesn't look anything like that. Definitely closer to the older versions the A, and the NX-01.

And is this test or non-polished footage? Because the visuals looked amateurish.

44 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Isn't the the Enterprise-E the Sovereign class one that's in the 3 of the 4 TNG movies? The saucer of this one doesn't look anything like that. Definitely closer to the older versions the A, and the NX-01.

And is this test or non-polished footage? Because the visuals looked amateurish.

Yeah, that's it, I saw a still of it from another angle and you're right it doesn't. I'm not sure honestly. I think it might be from SDCC so it can't be that raw but it certainly isn't polished. 

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

The numbering would indicate a very old ship.  NCC 1053?

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Yup. They've never entirely been clear on what the numbers mean, but there is a general trend from the two-digit numbers of Enterprise to the four of TOS to the five of the TNG era.

Also, in Enterprise's era they showed how the NX class were named in the same order as the space shuttles:

Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavor.

I don't know how long Starfleet kept up with that tradition, by TOS you had only the Enterprise and the other starships were the Constituiton, Defiant, Intrepid, Yorktown, Farragut, etc.

Could be Starfleet went back to that naming tradtion, or like Wert said it's an old ship come into the future, or they've gone back on their decision about where in the timeline it's set.

I like the look of the ship.

17 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Um, do they realize the acronym is STD?

Questions to ask your friends:  Are you looking forward to STD? Will you share STD with your friends and loved ones? Do you think this strain of STD will catch on?

I do not approve of the look of the new STD. 

On 19/07/2016 at 5:51 AM, red snow said:

Well that's good news for me, if it turns out to be any good.

I've started watching Voyager as I didn't really watch that series, but very oddly it has characters that are as equally familiar to me as STOG and TNG: Tuvak, The Doctor, Seven of Nine, Neelix, Chakotay. And yet I don't remember watching any full seasons of Voyager. I must have just incidentally watched a bunch of episodes over the years that I remember these characters. I'm fairly certain I never watched any episodes pre-Seven of Nine appearing. The odd thing is I can't at all remember having watched any TV series with Captain Janeway. Which obviously can't be right if I remember having watched all these other characters. Is this some subspace time distortion thing going on with me?

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 11:38 PM, drawkcabi said:

Also, in Enterprise's era they showed how the NX class were named in the same order as the space shuttles:

Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavor.

I don't know how long Starfleet kept up with that tradition, by TOS you had only the Enterprise and the other starships were the Constituiton, Defiant, Intrepid, Yorktown, Farragut, etc.

Could be Starfleet went back to that naming tradtion, or like Wert said it's an old ship come into the future, or they've gone back on their decision about where in the timeline it's set.

I like the look of the ship.

It's almost gotta be a ship from the past coming dorward, right? Setting a show in the past, with already established canon, was the primary criticism of Enterprise, wasn't it?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I've started watching Voyager as I didn't really watch that series, but very oddly it has characters that are as equally familiar to me as STOG and TNG: Tuvak, The Doctor, Seven of Nine, Neelix, Chakotay. And yet I don't remember watching any full seasons of Voyager. I must have just incidentally watched a bunch of episodes over the years that I remember these characters. I'm fairly certain I never watched any episodes pre-Seven of Nine appearing. The odd thing is I can't at all remember having watched any TV series with Captain Janeway. Which obviously can't be right if I remember having watched all these other characters. Is this some subspace time distortion thing going on with me?

Janeway featured far less in the later seasons if I recall. They tended to focus more on Seven of Nine, as she pulled the ratings in. Also apparently (and understandably) this caused a huge amount of friction between Kate Mulgrew and Jerri Ryan, as the former  saw her characters role hugely diminished. 

So it's possible you just saw a bunch of season 5-7?

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I watched the whole thing but it's all a bit blurry now. Neelix was infamous.

5 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

Janeway featured far less in the later seasons if I recall. They tended to focus more on Seven of Nine, as she pulled the ratings in. Also apparently (and understandably) this caused a huge amount of friction between Kate Mulgrew and Jerri Ryan, as the former  saw her characters role hugely diminished. 

So it's possible you just saw a bunch of season 5-7?

Either the writers weren't good at balancing character stories and/or the actors were quite pushy. I'm pretty sure the guy playing chakotay demanded more screentime and that lead to the "out of nowhere" relationship with sevenofnine even though the show had previously hinted at something between her and the Doctor.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's almost gotta be a ship from the past coming dorward, right? Setting a show in the past, with already established canon, was the primary criticism of Enterprise, wasn't it?

I guess that would allow them to have some "old" characters in a new setting. Not sure how useful a 100 year old ship might be though. Or the advantage of having a crew from another time unless to have them all as point of entry characters. They did say there'd be crews in the new show at one stage so this might just be one of them. I hope the show doesn't lumber itself with time travel from the offset though.

Man, the more I learn about this series, the more excited I get about it. I don't know why, maybe because most of my consternation came from the prospect of it being set in the Abrams-verse, but something about this feels good to me (or perhaps because I don't remember how meh Enterprise ended up being, since I'm assuming there was a good amount of hype at the time). I actually love the design of the ship, and would love to see a crew that had gone forward in time since so much would likely have changed.

Still not subscribing to CBS' streaming service, too many easier, cheaper ways to get shit these days (and I feel kind of like we're being jerked around, so fuck them).

1 hour ago, GrimTuesday said:

Man, the more I learn about this series, the more excited I get about it. I don't know why, maybe because most of my consternation came from the prospect of it being set in the Abrams-verse, but something about this feels good to me (or perhaps because I don't remember how meh Enterprise ended up being, since I'm assuming there was a good amount of hype at the time). I actually love the design of the ship, and would love to see a crew that had gone forward in time since so much would likely have changed.

Still not subscribing to CBS' streaming service, too many easier, cheaper ways to get shit these days (and I feel kind of like we're being jerked around, so fuck them).

I wish it was on Netflix like everywhere else. 

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah, I was pretty excited until I saw, Netflix, except US and Canada. I mean, why? Just gets me closer to cutting Netflix out.

Because CBS said so. It's not Netflix's fault. They want people to pay for their own streaming service.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Because CBS said so. It's not Netflix's fault. They want people to pay for their own streaming service.

Definitely, they were disappointed with the amount of members the service had. What better way than streaming the new show over their service? 

14 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I thought the primary criticism(s) were:

Corporate sending a directive to Berman and Braga that there HAD to be a temporal war in the series.

Berman stubbornly sticking to making a TV show the way they made them in the 80's and early 90's, not allowing for the changing landscape of television and how story-telling had changed by the 2000's. Basically giving us TNG and Voyager episodes recycled and diluted.

Braga, while able to write a good script and tell a decent story when that's all he needs to be working on, getting overwhelmed as writer and show runner.

B&B not caring much about Star Trek continuity.

Poor character development, and weak scripts, again courtesy of B&B

AFAIK, most thought setting the show in the past (from Trek perspective) was an interesting idea and could have been the thing to rejuvenate the franchise. The early days of The Federation, first/early encounters with the Tellarites, Andorians, Klingons, not-jerk-store Vulcans, the Earth-Romluan war, all done right. If season 4 had been season 1, with Manny Coto as a producer and Reeves-Stevens as writers from get go, the show might have been a real hit.

21 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I thought the primary criticism(s) were:

Corporate sending a directive to Berman and Braga that there HAD to be a temporal war in the series.

Berman stubbornly sticking to making a TV show the way they made them in the 80's and early 90's, not allowing for the changing landscape of television and how story-telling had changed by the 2000's. Basically giving us TNG and Voyager episodes recycled and diluted.

Braga, while able to write a good script and tell a decent story when that's all he needs to be working on, getting overwhelmed as writer and show runner.

B&B not caring much about Star Trek continuity.

Poor character development, and weak scripts, again courtesy of B&B

AFAIK, most thought setting the show in the past (from Trek perspective) was an interesting idea and could have been the thing to rejuvenate the franchise. The early days of The Federation, first/early encounters with the Tellarites, Andorians, Klingons, not-jerk-store Vulcans, the Earth-Romluan war, all done right. If season 4 had been season 1, with Manny Coto as a producer and Reeves-Stevens as writers from get go, the show might have been a real hit.

I think a lot of that is a more expansive way of describing my much broader statement... :P

And I tend to agree with your last point, though I enjoyed Enterprise for the most part.

Archived