NBA 2016: This is what it sounds like when Dubs fly

Ramsay B.

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

One down, three to go! Go Warriors!

70 wins is an amazing accomplishment. And now the Sunday game in San Antonio is both utterly meaningless and yet hugely important to all us basketball nerds. 73 wins vs. an undefeated home season. This is the rare time I'm glad I get NBATV. 

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

One down, three to go! Go Warriors!

I think they wind up stuck at 72. 

Closing the season at San Antonio will be tough, and the games with Memphis aren't foregone conclusions.

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think they wind up stuck at 72. 

Closing the season at San Antonio will be tough, and the games with Memphis aren't foregone conclusions.

I dunno, Memphis is so injured, and they're 3-7 in the past ten games.  The Grizzlies are usually scrappy, so anything could happen, but I expect at least one and possibly both of those to be a walkover. 

I will say that GS @ SA is interesting. Pop indicated he wasn't going to rest his guys for that game, but will he really be trying to win, or will he play everything close to the vest to save all his tricks for the playoffs?

54 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I will say that GS @ SA is interesting. Pop indicated he wasn't going to rest his guys for that game, but will he really be trying to win, or will he play everything close to the vest to save all his tricks for the playoffs?

Seems like this is the ideal situation for Pop to throw a number of different looks at the Warriors and cement his playoff strategy against them without having to really reveal anything. Can't say I'm crazy about that, but it should lead to 73 wins if they handle the Grizzlies.

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

70 wins is an amazing accomplishment. And now the Sunday game in San Antonio is both utterly meaningless and yet hugely important to all us basketball nerds. 73 wins vs. an undefeated home season. This is the rare time I'm glad I get NBATV. 

I doubt it. Pop will rest his starters. 

Motown's 7 yr playoff draught has officially ended! 

The Pistons clinched a playoff birth in the East tonight for the first time since 2009. We may not be title contenders yet, but just having a team with a winning record, a team that has made it back to the playoffs and a young team still trying to get to its full potential, is so exciting for us (Piston fans). After such a long road back we are enjoying this almost as much as a title team and feel like the good times are ahead. Time to Move on up baby! 

Popovich rested his starters against the Nuggets and lost that game ( barely btw, which says enough about the quality difference and Denver isn't even one of the worst teams) so it looks like he will play his best team against GS.

On another note I hear a lot of comments recently from guys who are being interviewed that the reason teams play differently nowadays is because there aren't any dominant centers anymore. Every one of them says the style has changed because the players have changed. There is no David Robinson/Olajuwon/Ewing/Shaq player any more they say, and that is why the game has changed.

I'm inclined to disagree somewhat with that. Not entirely, but somewhat. They say players aren't taught those skills anymore and the talent just isn't there. But I wonder if the 3-point style hasn't just taken over anyway, because it's more rewarding.

Cousins is surely a dominant center. Drummond is getting better each year and is already very good this year. Anthony Davis is a big guy who plays PF or center. And then you've got guys like DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard, one of whom has serious limitations which indeed puts far off the legendary center status, and Dwight of course has been in premature decline but may pick up again on a new team next season. Cousins and Davis are huge talents but even they are not getting their teams across the finish line. Drummond is important in Detroit but it's not like the offense goes through him all or even most of the time. I just wonder if those guys from the past were genuinely so much better than the current centers and power forwards, or if the game in the NBA has really just caught up that with that low post play anyway and another style is deemed more efficient?

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

. I just wonder if those guys from the past were genuinely so much better than the current centers and power forwards

Yes, absolutely. Look at the centers and power forwards in the league in say...1994. 

Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Alonzo Mourning, Mutombo, Smits, Divac, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Dennis Rodman...

And a bunch i am forgetting. That's a lot of HUGE dudes.

I also would like to contest the fact that the three is more rewarding. Shooting percentages are much higher in the pain than they are from the arc, and your chances of drawing fouls and getting offensive rebounds are higher when in the paint. 

What DID change the game was the way fouls are called. That played a huge huge role in play style. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Yes, absolutely. Look at the centers and power forwards in the league in say...1994. 

Shaq, Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Alonzo Mourning, Mutombo, Smits, Divac, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Dennis Rodman...

And a bunch i am forgetting. That's a lot of HUGE dudes.

Larry Johnson, Derrick Coleman, Chris Webber, Arvydas Sabonis, and maybe Ewing (although he was at the tail end of his career)

I think your point about the officiating is potentially the biggest factor here, although there did seem to be more dominant big men back in the 90's as opposed to today.

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Larry Johnson, Derrick Coleman, Chris Webber, Arvydas Sabonis, and maybe Ewing (although he was at the tail end of his career)

Oakley, Mason, Horace Grant...

Yeah, that's a lot of dudes (Ewing was not in the tail end in 94, btw). Can't believe i forgot Webber, Coleman, and Sabonis.  

I'm not sure if the rule changes have led to a under-development of big men, or if there are simply less giants that are awesome at basketball today. I sort of doubt it's the latter tho. 

15 minutes ago, Relic said:

Oakley, Mason, Horace Grant...

Yeah, that's a lot of dudes (Ewing was not in the tail end in 94, btw). Can't believe i forgot Webber, Coleman, and Sabonis.  

I'm not sure if the rule changes have led to a under-development of big men, or if there are simply less giants that are awesome at basketball today. I sort of doubt it's the latter tho. 

Oh shit, I can't believe he played until the year 2000. I thought he was out of the league by say the late 90's.

It sure feels like its the latter given the amount of first teamers we named versus the amount you could tally now. Despite the change in dynamics, any of those guys named would still be valuable players under todays rules. Not as valuable for sure, but still considerable commodities.  

Its like this. Shaq and centers are dominant > rules get changed > now bigs need better fundamentals to dominate, but many centers and PFs cant bother to develop them, leading to swingmen becoming more dominant and big men losing the scoring spotlight > colleges see that bigs no longer dominate, so fuck teaching them fundamentals like footwork and post-moves > lousier bigs make it into the league and everybody says "see, told you bigs cant function in this league > colleges continue to develop lousy bigs

Hassan Whiteside of the Heat has quietly moved up into that upper echelon of Centers with efficient numbers in Blocks, FG%, points per minutes and a PER over 25. Pretty frikn good this guy and he's only playing about half a game on average off the bench.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Its like this. Shaq and centers are dominant > rules get changed > now bigs need better fundamentals to dominate, but many centers and PFs cant bother to develop them, leading to swingmen becoming more dominant and big men losing the scoring spotlight > colleges see that bigs no longer dominate, so fuck teaching them fundamentals like footwork and post-moves > lousier bigs make it into the league and everybody says "see, told you bigs cant function in this league > colleges continue to develop lousy bigs

i'm on board with that, for the most part.  

Archived