New GRRM interview and a TWOW hint

Gronzag

So, in a new interwiev with IGN George said that there will be a twist involving a character dead in the show, but not in the books. What do you think, who will it be and what the twist is going to be? Stannis, Selmy and that Khal (Jogo?) look like most likely candidates.

3 minutes ago, Slowpoke Martin said:

Either Stannis or Mance. Barry might die soon & his impact is not that significant compared to the people close by in the north.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Martin has said the twist would have a big impact, just that it was something the show wouldn't be able to do; initially he said, 'because of decisions the show's made etc', and now the confirmation, one of the characters directly involved has been killed off. 

Actually, I think I remember Martin saying, 'it's a great twist', iirc. But I took it to mean something unexpected but not necessarily having a big impact.

8 minutes ago, Slowpoke Martin said:

Either Stannis or Mance. Barry might die soon & his impact is not that significant compared to the people close by in the north.

Also when the original remark was made I don't think we knew Stannis was dead

For future reference here is the list of "dead on show, live in books" from his blog:

Mago

Irri

Rakharo

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Pyat Pree

Pyp

Grenn

Ser Barristan Selmy

Queen Selyse

Princess Shireen

Princess Myrcella

Mance Rayder

King Stannis

My money is on one of the last four: Shireen, Myrcella, Mance, or Stannis.  A twist on one of them could have real impact.

It involves a couple characters? It can only be Stannis to me. None of the other ones are that relevant to the overall story and more like side characters. Mance Rayder I would have considered if the spear wives were on the show, but they weren't.

19 minutes ago, Nevets said:

For future reference here is the list of "dead on show, live in books" from his blog:

Mago

Irri

Rakharo

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Pyat Pree

Pyp

Grenn

Ser Barristan Selmy

Queen Selyse

Princess Shireen

Princess Myrcella

Mance Rayder

King Stannis

My money is on one of the last four: Shireen, Myrcella, Mance, or Stannis.  A twist on one of them could have real impact.

I think you can also add Jeyne Westerling (I can't remember what her equivalent show name was, T something?) to that list. She was a different character in the show, but by far the most defining characteristic was that they were both Robb's wife. The twist could be about her.

I think it has to be someone major. When he first talked about it, didn't he just say it cannot be done on the show because the show character is dead. With most on that list, any twist could just be done with a new character and you wouldn't lose anything. For it not to be able to be done that character has to have enough significant and meaningful background they can't just be switched with someone new. So I think it has to be Barristan, Rayder, Jeyne, Shireen or Stannis.

Just now, Makk said:

I think you can also add Jeyne Westerling (I can't remember what her equivalent show name was, T something?) to that list. She was a different character in the show, but by far the most defining characteristic was that they were both Robb's wife. The twist could be about her.

I think it has to be someone major. When he first talked about it, didn't he just say it cannot be done on the show because the show character is dead. With most on that list, any twist could just be done with a new character and you wouldn't lose anything. For it not to be able to be done that character has to have enough significant and meaningful background they can't just be switched with someone new. So I think it has to be Barristan, Rayder, Jeyne, Shireen or Stannis.

Actually, I think there are probably several that weren't mentioned (Jojen comes immediately to mind, for example).  I only listed the ones Martin specifically mentioned on his blog.  Of course, he could choose to surprise us and do it with someone he didn't mention.  

But, to be honest, I don't think Jeyne Westerling and Talisa are the same character.  I never saw them that way, and I doubt Martin did either.  They're far too different.

1 minute ago, Nevets said:

Actually, I think there are probably several that weren't mentioned (Jojen comes immediately to mind, for example).  I only listed the ones Martin specifically mentioned on his blog.  Of course, he could choose to surprise us and do it with someone he didn't mention.  

But, to be honest, I don't think Jeyne Westerling and Talisa are the same character. I never saw them that way, and I doubt Martin did either.  They're far too different.

He didn't, so much so that he asked the showrunners to rename her, 'since it's a different character' (paraphrasing).

Archived