NFL 2016 Offseaon: free agency freakout

DanteGabriel

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I'm also finding some enjoyment in that. 

I think you are overstating how poorly off the Rams are.  The Rams have a great running back and quite possibly the best D line in the game.  That is a LOT, and it was enough to go 7-9 in a tough division in spite of horrible QB play.  Yes, they have holes in the secondary and O line, but seriously, all teams have holes.  If the Rams had good qb play (not great, just Andy Dalton/Matt Ryan good), they could easily be an 11 win team. 

Now, there's no guarantee Wentz will be that guy.  But that's a separate matter.

From someone who has unfortunately watched a shit ton of Rams games over the last few years, trust me when I say they are not close.to contending even with a QB. And now they just mortgaged the chance to improve that roster to bet on a couple guys who aren't even can't miss QB prospects.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

Rams should know first hand that your QB can't succeed with no talent around him.  They went through that process 6 years ago.  Those draft picks that they just lit on fire could have been used to get offensive linemen and skill position weapons to help a QB.

Agreed.  The Rams are in a division that has been dominated for the past half decade by teams without stellar QB play but excellent defense, solid offensive lines, and consistent running back play.  Maybe they'll stun us all and take Tunsil, but I doubt it.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

Agreed.  The Rams are in a division that has been dominated for the past half decade by teams without stellar QB play but excellent defense, solid offensive lines, and consistent running back play.  Maybe they'll stun us all and take Tunsil, but I doubt it.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's a division that's evolved to the point where all 4 teams had killer defenses where the primary thing that distinguished who went far in the playoffs who didn't make it at all was QB play.

Russell Wilson's clearly a top 5 QB. And if the Seahawks hadn't lucked into him, they would've probably maxed out as a 10 win at best 2nd round playoff team. Kaepernick's efficiency for a few years there was off the charts. Plus Carson Palmer reaching an elite level made the Cardinals into true contenders. 

1 minute ago, Jaime L said:

I'm not sure I agree with that. It's a division that's evolved to the point where all 4 teams had killer defenses where the primary thing that distinguished who went far in the playoffs who didn't make it at all was QB play.

Russell Wilson's clearly a top 5 QB. And if the Seahawks hadn't lucked into him, they would've probably maxed out as a 10 win at best 2nd round playoff team. Kaepernick's efficiency for a few years there was off the charts. Plus Carson Palmer reaching an elite level made the Cardinals into true contenders. 

The Rams don't have a killer defense. They have an all-world defensive line, mediocre linebackers, and an abysmal secondary.

They have a bottom 5 offensive line and a bottom 5 receiver group.  Their lone bright spot on offense is Todd Gurley, a guy who seems destined to be completely run into the ground within 5 years.

Doesn't seem like a coincidence that ESPN has spent the past two days hyping the hell out of Wentz right as the new team in LA (one of the largest media markets in the country) trades for the pick where they could take him.  

I think Goff is the better prospect, though, so assuming the Browns are taking a quarterback I don't think this really changes much for them.

3 minutes ago, sperry said:

The Rams don't have a killer defense. They have an all-world defensive line, mediocre linebackers, and an abysmal secondary.

They have a bottom 5 offensive line and a bottom 5 receiver group.  Their lone bright spot on offense is Todd Gurley, a guy who seems destined to be completely run into the ground within 5 years.

Rams Defensive DVOA by year since 2012: #7, #11, #9, #7. It's just impossible to see when the Offense can't carry its weight. 

2 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Rams Defensive DVOA by year since 2012: #7, #11, #9, #7. It's just impossible to see when the Offense can't carry its weight. 

Not only that, but that D line would get even more ferocious if they ever had the lead, and teams had to drop back and pass against them again and again. 

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Not only that, but that D line would get even more ferocious if they ever had the lead, and teams had to drop back and pass against them again and again. 

That too. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I don't know how the DVOA stat is calculated, but the Rams were bad against the pass, mediocre against the rush, and middle of the pack in points allowed.  That seems pretty consistent with a team that has one elite position group and one awful position group.  And that secondary just got a lot worse since the Rams just lost their best corner (although not signing him to a mega contract was smart on their part).

Sidestepping my NFL morality concerns, am relieved Rams made this trade. Was worried Niners would be locked into Goff, about whom I have real concerns. It's all about how much you feel you can develop his arm, to me...because as is his strengths, though notable (anticipation, footwork, etc.) have connected system concerns, and his weaknesses...well, his one weakness is IMO a biggie. Watched a lot of tape, and virtually every deep ball is either coming from a clean pocket with a lot of air under it, under thrown, or both. Many of his biggest plays are at best incompletions in the pros. And his longer intermediate throws are even weird...will often seem to have a lot of zip for a while, then just die, though I'd say this is much less common than his downfield issue.

That said, if you believe that by developing his body you can add to his deep range and aren't too concerned about system fit, that's a really nice quarterback.

But the Niners odds of landing either of my desired picks, Buckner or Jack...or even Ramsay...just increased significantly. Worst case scenario is Bosa falls...I'd not be totally bummed, but I think he's your basic high floor/low ceiling dude. And a dream scenario is Tunsill experiences a mini-drop.

I also think there's an outside chance we look at Elliot, which is both interesting and worrying.

On April 13, 2016 at 9:25 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Ok so color me confused with the Josh Gordon issue. He fails a drug test and gets suspended for the year, and when he fails again during his ban he gets a 60-90 window to be clean and he can be reinstated. Maybe I'm missing the point of these ironclad NFL rules, but shouldn't he of been suspended for another year? Does failing a drug test while being on a ban actually have smaller consequences? Wowzers...

No he's done. He tried to appeal for reinstatement and was denied by the NFL. I dont think he has any loopholes around that .

28 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

No he's done. He tried to appeal for reinstatement and was denied by the NFL. I dont think he has any loopholes around that .

I've read a similar sentiment that he can reapply in 60-90 days or something like that.  I think the reason is that he didn't technically fail the test (as in the level of marijuana found in his urine would not normally be a fail), but since he's in that program a diluted sample counts as a fail.

51 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Really wish things that matter much more than weed mattered much more than weed.

I mean, it is ridiculous that Weed is treated like other drugs. But it's even more ridiculous that these guys can't refrain from using a non-addictive drug when their livelihood is on the line.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

I mean, it is ridiculous that Weed is treated like other drugs. But it's even more ridiculous that these guys can't refrain from using a non-addictive drug when their livelihood is on the line.

Oh, absolutely. They fail the basic intelligence test, if they care enough, so long as the league's priorities are so ridiculously out of whack.

Jared Allen signed a day contract with the Vikings. Classy move to let the guy retire where he most enjoyed playing.

Not sure if he is going to make the HoF, but he was a damn good player and a fan favorite.

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Don't see that happening as it looks like the Browns would win that trade. The Browns are not allowed to win any trades.

The Browns can always lose a trade when their return comes in the form of draft picks.

edit: I'm more sceptical because of the value of a ~ qb,  but then it's rare when a qb's value doesn't catch us off guard, the salary works, and the fine print could even it out more.

Archived