Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, IX

2 hours ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

A bit of everything, probably, but mostly the last one. We don't don't get to see Jeyne's thought process, so we can't get frustrated at her naivety.

I really disliked JP. :) Before everything went to hell for the Starks, she sucked up to Sansa, she Mean Girled Arya, and she was a total drama queen.  She absolutely didn't deserve anything Littlefinger & Co. did to her, and she really, really didn't deserve Ramsay (although it's a bit of poetic justice that after being such a shit to Arya, she ended up forced to be fArya in such circumstances), but I won't be the least bit sorry if her frostbitten nose falls right off, because that she does have coming.

Also she and Theon would make a pretty good couple at this point.

On 2/9/2016 at 7:24 PM, Joy Hill said:

I kind of wonder why Jeyne Poole gets unanimous sympathy while Sansa is frequently accused of being "weak" an "passive". (This isn't a dig at Jeyne Poole, I sympathise with the poor girl, but she's no more assertive than Sansa and yet noone accuses her of "doing nothing".) Maybe it's because Sansa is partly responsible for what happens to her. Or because Jeyne's fate is more horrifying. Or because Jeyne is not a POV. I don't know. :dunno:

i think it's simply that people expect more from major characters than from secondary ones and more from a Stark than from a 'no one'.

Personal opinion:

Drogo was an awful human being. He had killed, raped and enslaved people beyond count and his relationship to Daenerys or Daenerys' feelings towards him do not redeem him. He deserved to die and I actually applaud Mirri Maz Duur for putting him in a catatonic vegetive state and I can see myself doing the same thing if he had killed my family and village and some of his men had raped me.

Screw Drogo.

5 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Personal opinion:

Drogo was an awful human being. He had killed, raped and enslaved people beyond count and his relationship to Daenerys or Daenerys' feelings towards him do not redeem him. He deserved to die and I actually applaud Mirri Maz Duur for putting him in a catatonic vegetive state and I can see myself doing the same thing if he had killed my family and village and some of his men had raped me.

Screw Drogo.

"As you say, rider," the woman answered him, gathering up her jars and bottles. "The Great Shepherd guards the flock."

This is amazing.  I had to share. 

http://warsofasoiaf.tumblr.com/post/148250925596/all-of-westeross-wars-as-parties?is_related_post=1

Daeron’s War of Dornish Conquest: Realizing that Westeros parties are shit now, Daeron crashes the Dornish party and says that now there’s the great party that Aegon wanted. Dorne doesn’t like it and another prank war begins. Eventually Dorne calls the cops on Daeron, which Westeros says is a dick move. Baelor says that Daeron crashing the Dornish party was also a dick move, and now the era of dick moves is over and done with. 

On 5/19/2016 at 10:13 PM, Greg B said:

Well, I just finished a reread, which is what brought me back to the forum, so I'll confess an unpopular opinion. As of 2011, I thought I loved the first three books and was really disappointed in the last two. On reread, I think the first three don't hold together all that well and I really despise the last two.

And I really mean "don't hold together well." Even on a reread, when I'm actually reading them, immersed in the story, I still enjoy them a great deal. But when I step back and think about what I'm reading, all I see is snow structural problems, pacing issues, unresolved loose ends, abandoned or aborted subplots, retcons, contrivances, plot holes and a hideously derailed narrative. I see detailed, close-focus world-building that is often evocative with a "cool factor" off the charts, and big-picture world-building that is nonsensical, cliché-ridden and unimaginative. I see a story that is supposed to "subvert all the tropes," but it's filled with lost princes, magic swords, magic prophecies, lost empires, cataclysms, secret identities and bloodlines, villainous masterminds, dragon queens, dragons, elves, giants, sorcery and zombie hordes, to name but a few. I see prose that seemed at least workmanlike and effective, but has become repetitive and at times torturous.

And yet, I still like the series, at least the first three books. I'm not entirely sure why. I think it must be the characterization and some of the detailed world-building. It must be really that good to make up for my disappointment with the rest.

But what brings me back to the forum is: can I find a satisfactory explanation for something that reeks of retconning? Can I find a theory that satisfactorily fills in a gap or plugs a plot hole? Is there a rational explanation for what appears to be a ridiculous coincidence or plot contrivance? And these aren't minor story elements, they're central to the whole project: I don't buy the dagger and catspaw. I don't think the author knew who Jon Arryn's murderer was when he wrote what was ostensibly a whodunit story-arc. I think Varys's knowledge and capabilities (and hell, probably motivations) are dicated solely by plot necessity at any given point in the tale, rather than any kind of internal story coherence or consistency. I think Varys and Illyrio's Aegon Master Plan is a blatant retcon based on material the author created a decade later, which I wouldn't even mind terribly much, except that it's a flatly ridiculous Master Plan and a retcon that doesn't mesh with the earlier material. But I do really like the characterization...

TL;DR I don't like "gardening" in my genre fiction.

+1

I couldn't agree more

17 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

@Lost Melnibonean

Hide contents

Wait, what!!! That bloody damnable show killed off Stannis?

:tantrum::(

I'm just jesting with ya, but innit that suppose to be in a spoiler tag?

...And for what it's worth, I still care. I can't wait to read his true story.

Yikes! Fixed. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I pushed the middle button of the auto-fill on my phone repeatedly to see what sort of sentence I'd get.  This is what I got:

I am interested in this rental. if you are not the intended recipient, you can contact us at the Blackwater, and outlived his ship. . . .

I have too many. My theory is that Melisandre knew that Stannis would lose on the Blackwater but let him go anyways while planning to be excluded from the battle than blame the loss on the lack of her presence there. Worming her way into Stannis's soul even more. Thiughts..hmm. I think Catelyn made a good decision capturing Tyrion. I do not think not going back to Winterfell reflects badly on her. Did Eddard or Robb go back? I think people that feel Catelyn is a bad mother for not goung back are basically mysiginists who think women have only one place. Brienne of Tarth chapters were some of the best in the books and I love GRRM's anti war sentiment to be found in those chapters especially. I think Tyrion is interesting,...but he is a dick. Murdering Shae..raping Tysha, raping several bed slaves,..arming the moutians of the Moon tribes...hmmm...Cersei was right to shit on Kevan Lannister. If someone talked to Tywin the way he talked to Cersei...I have no idea..he probably would have killed him, even his own brother. Kevan was tired I know, but treating your neice like complete shit isnt really chivalrous is it? Stannis is a douche. I am sorry, but please defend to me more how murdering your brother is okay. He is a kinslayer... 

Don’t want to make a thread for it because it’s rather stupid. Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious, I just got into fan theories.

Every time people criticize R+L=J they say Lyanna’s „promise me Ned“ doesn’t fit the theory because Lyanna wouldn’t need to make Ned promise to keep her child save. The second very common counter argument is that Ned thinking about broken promises right before his execution doesn’t make sense if R+L=J because Jon is save on the wall.

I always assumed the „promise me“ refers to Lyanna making the overly cautious Ned promise that he will tell Jon who his true parents are at some point.

(show spoiler S01)

Spoiler

(That’s why they added „The next time we see each other...we'll talk about your mother. I promise." in GoT. To make it even more obvious.)

In King’s Landing the outlook on ever seeing Jon again becomes smaller and smaller. That’s why Ned suddenly starts thinking about broken promises in the cell. I can’t remember how he reacts when he’s offered the black but being able to return to the wall and keep his promise would be a huge motivation for him to confess - besides the safety of Sansa and Arya.

Don’t get me wrong, R+L=J doesn’t mean anything to me - I’m perfectly fine with a different constellation or no revelation at all but could somebody please explain why „promise me“ and „broken promises“  are supposed to be such strong counter arguments?

On 9/10/2016 at 10:44 PM, Therae said:

I really disliked JP. :) Before everything went to hell for the Starks, she sucked up to Sansa, she Mean Girled Arya, and she was a total drama queen.  She absolutely didn't deserve anything Littlefinger & Co. did to her, and she really, really didn't deserve Ramsay (although it's a bit of poetic justice that after being such a shit to Arya, she ended up forced to be fArya in such circumstances), but I won't be the least bit sorry if her frostbitten nose falls right off, because that she does have coming.

Also she and Theon would make a pretty good couple at this point.

Same

8 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

I pushed the middle button of the auto-fill on my phone repeatedly to see what sort of sentence I'd get.  This is what I got:

I am interested in this rental. if you are not the intended recipient, you can contact us at the Blackwater, and outlived his ship. . . .

Quote The spymaster was new to Griff, a Lyseni named Lysono Maar, with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the brother Brynden loved. 

AFOIAF Mad Libs.

So, I love posting hunches/ideas/crackpot theories on these threads.  Here's another one for y'all:

At Summerhall, Aegon DID successfully hatch a dragon.

"Wonderfully drunk. Wine makes all things possible, Ser Duncan. You'd look a god in white, I think, but if the color does not suit you, perhaps you would prefer to be a lord?" Dunk laughed in his face. "No, I'd sooner sprout big blue wings and fly. One's as likely as t'other."

"Now you mock me. A true knight would never mock his king." The Fiddler sounded hurt. "I hope you will put more faith in what I tell you when you see the dragon hatch."

Dunk does join the Kingsguard.  Does he see a dragon hatch too? 

If so, I think one of two things happened to it.  One, the maesters killed it.  Or, two, it was hidden somewhere.  

But where?  Well, there is an extensive maze in Oldtown under the castle Hightower.  

I propose that not only did a dragon hatch, but Aerys bonded with it.  This dragon slowly went mad with no sunshine and (as it grew bigger) smaller and smaller space.  Due to the emotional connection between dragon and rider, Aerys grew mad as well.  

Aerys choose to isolate himself in the Red Keep, paranoid that someone might murder him.  The dragon was isolated under the Hightower, perhaps aware that one day someone would come and eventually slay him.  And the wildfire plot...  "blow up underneath a castle and release a dragon."  Was the dragon trying to tell Aerys how to free him? 

Unfortunately for Westeros, Euron is on his way to Oldtown and might do exactly that. 

Archived