GAME OF THRONES to end 13 episodes after the end of Season 6

Werthead

1 hour ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

i wonder if they will skip season 8 altogether and just have a 15 episode season 7 in two parts. 

It's possible if you mean in terms of how it is labeled, however they will 99.9% not likely film all 15 as one season, not when a huge reason for the demand for less episodes a season is due to production being made too difficult when the climax will undoubtedly involve more big complex set pieces than ever before.

On 4/15/2016 at 7:35 AM, The Arthur Smith said:

Agreed. Really hate the ending with Dany winning the IT or a happy ending with Jon/Dany. This does not go with GRMM's philosophy and writing as GRMM loves to make his ideas and characters more complex.

Either way, despite the show deviated from the book, it will have the same ending eventually. GRMM and D&D have a talk over this several times and this ending has been plan since prior production of the show.

I really don't see Dany ruling Westeros for any length of time.  In Dance of Dragons, she seemed to conclude that her true vocation was conquest rather than a tree-growing peaceful rule.  I don't think that it's in any way definite that she and Jon will survive the series.  In fact, I'd lay odds on one, or both of them dying to save Winterfell or Westeros.  Jon also seems destined for a short and heroic life (or unlife) of great purpose and sacrifice.

I could see Arya surviving as Queen in the North or the Last Stark in Winterfell.  Not sure about Sansa.  Hopefully she will end up as Lady of the Vale or Lady Lannister or something.

I think Tyrion has a strong chance of surviving the series.

It could be that GRRM's endgame is to have almost all the male lords of the Great Houses (and some of the lesser Houses) killed, and the ladies taking over as rulers or regents of those Houses and doing as good or better than their male predecessors as rulers.  

I just hope I'll live to see GRRM finish the series.  Meanwhile, I hope that the GOT version is at least entertaining and not a constant bloodbath.

2 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I really don't see Dany ruling Westeros for any length of time.  In Dance of Dragons, she seemed to conclude that her true vocation was conquest rather than a tree-growing peaceful rule.  I don't think that it's in any way definite that she and Jon will survive the series.  In fact, I'd lay odds on one, or both of them dying to save Winterfell or Westeros.  Jon also seems destined for a short and heroic life (or unlife) of great purpose and sacrifice.

I could see Arya surviving as Queen in the North or the Last Stark in Winterfell.  Not sure about Sansa.  Hopefully she will end up as Lady of the Vale or Lady Lannister or something.

It could be that GRRM's endgame is to have almost all the male lords of the Great Houses (and some of the lesser Houses) killed, and the ladies taking over as rulers or regents of those Houses and doing as good or better than their male predecessors as rulers.  

I just hope I'll live to see GRRM finish the series.  Meanwhile, I hope that the GOT version is at least entertaining and not a constant bloodbath.

:agree:

So it's bad writing if Jon and/or Dany get a happy or bittersweet ending but it's fine if the other major characters get them? Jon and Daenerys have to suffer in the end because...?

Cliched would be having Jon and/or Dany sacrifice themselves for Westeros.

The new Hollywood Reporter piece has them saying between 10 and 15 episodes left after season 6, including the now official Season 7, which was unusually announced with no specific episode count mentioned.

Every season has been announced without the episode count being confirmed. They announced separately that Season 1 would have 10 episodes, and then there was widespread speculation that Season 2 would have an order increase to 12 or 13 episodes. Then they confirmed that 10 was the maximum they could make and it was just assumed every year would be 10.

What is interesting is that they must have Season 7 partially written by now to start shooting in July, so it's going to be a matter of urgency that they lock down how many episodes it will be imminently. I suspect they'll get a final confirmation on the episode count for Season 7 and whether Season 8 will be needed within the next couple of weeks. When they let us know remains unknown.

10 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I agree for Daenerys. Her words are Fire and Blood. She is not made for peace. "This is peace, she told herself. This is what I wanted, what I worked for, this is why I married Hizdahr. So why does it taste so much like defeat?"

Arya could survive. I would see her fulfilling Robert wish: marry his son to Ned's daughter. But it would be Arya and Gendry. With no legit Baratheon left, they could be Lord and Lady of Storm's End. Not your regular lord and lady, Arya will never be that. Sansa lost her wolf and she is not really of the North any more, has never been in fact. She could be eaten by the Game of Throne ... or by the end be its best player, the best liar.

Tyrion, I'm not sure either. I killed his father. If kinslaying mean anything, like Stannis he is dead. Anyway, I believe his fate is tied to Daenerys'. And you have the bitter-sweet ending promised by GRRM.

5 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I agree for Daenerys. Her words are Fire and Blood. She is not made for peace. "This is peace, she told herself. This is what I wanted, what I worked for, this is why I married Hizdahr. So why does it taste so much like defeat?"

Arya could survive. I would see her fulfilling Robert wish: marry his son to Ned's daughter. But it would be Arya and Gendry. With no legit Baratheon left, they could be Lord and Lady of Storm's End. Not your regular lord and lady, Arya will never be that. Sansa lost her wolf and she is not really of the North any more, has never been in fact. She could be eaten by the Game of Throne ... or by the end be its best player, the best liar.

Tyrion, I'm not sure either. I killed his father. If kinslaying mean anything, like Stannis he is dead. Anyway, I believe his fate is tied to Daenerys'. And you have the bitter-sweet ending promised by GRRM.

:agree:

4 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

The Arya marrying Gendry idea and becoming Lord and Lady of the Storm End's, but not your average Lord and Lady, could actually work on the show actually. Just the show, mind you. Though the show runner's kind of need Gendry to come back into the picture this season if they were going to go down this route...either that or maybe they will stick with Jon/Arya if it's indeed still happening in the books. (shrug)

1 hour ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Man i want Arya to have a happy ending like that. i don't see it happening but damn do i want it. 

Tyrion from the first books wants his father dead gets it and is unhappy. His story seems to be about what he wants out of life. He thought he wanted revenge, so what does he want for real? 

9 hours ago, Darksky said:

So it's bad writing if Jon and/or Dany get a happy or bittersweet ending but it's fine if the other major characters get them? Jon and Daenerys have to suffer in the end because...?

Cliched would be having Jon and/or Dany sacrifice themselves for Westeros.

Yeah A happy or sad or etc.. ending is not cache by itself. 

13 hours ago, MercyTheBlindUglyLittleCat said:

It's possible if you mean in terms of how it is labeled, however they will 99.9% not likely film all 15 as one season, not when a huge reason for the demand for less episodes a season is due to production being made too difficult when the climax will undoubtedly involve more big complex set pieces than ever before.

I agree.  AMC and HBO have history of doing this because it saves money. Kit has a option in his contract for season seven. If he does not have one for season eight they have to sign an extension that would probably cost them more money (i heard on the hbo channel 33 podcast he makes $300,000 per episode. ) you would save a lot of money on others who don't have contracts that cover season 8 by making "season 7 part 2" like breaking bad mad men and Sopranos did. 

37 minutes ago, 239JMFL34109 said:

I agree.  AMC and HBO have history of doing this because it saves money. Kit has a option in his contract for season seven. If he does not have one for season eight they have to sign an extension that would probably cost them more money (i heard on the hbo channel 33 podcast he makes $300,000 per episode. ) you would save a lot of money on others who don't have contracts that cover season 8 by making "season 7 part 2" like breaking bad mad men and Sopranos did. 

I understand the problem is time for writing and filming episodes. What about two 10 episodes seasons, but spaced by 18 months? Gives enough time for the producer and HBO keep the buzz for one more year. But I understand D&D also want to close this project and do something else.

5 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I understand the problem is time for writing and filming episodes. What about two 10 episodes seasons, but spaced by 18 months? Gives enough time for the producer and HBO keep the buzz for one more year. But I understand D&D also want to close this project and do something else.

My point is it would be cheaper to have one season of  20 episodes than two 10 episode seasons because of the way some contracts work out. 

Just look at kit harington If they do a season 8 while they still need him,  they might need sign a new contract with him for more money than if they just calling it part 2 of season 7. IT is something HBO and many other tv networks like AMC have done. 

Breaking bad's last season had two parts. Part one came out in july 2012 part two came out august 2013. that is what i think happens with Game of thrones. SEason 7 part one April of 2017 part two May of 2018. 

16 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Unfortunately as much as how cliche of me saying this, but i doubt Arya is going to survive in the series nor she will be the Queen of the North.

Arya never wanted to be a lady like Sansa and desired to be a tomboy, much like Lyanna. Plus Arya hasn't learn much in politics. So it wouldn't make sense for her to be the Queen of the North after Sansa. 

In addition, there's no purpose for Arya to become the Queen of the North as there isn't hints or foreshadowing in the book or show to implied she will be one. The purpose of her storyline is finding her identity. Whether she will embrace her Stark identity, meaning that she must abandon her moral compass to exact her vengeance and accepting her carnage. Or she will abandon her Stark identity and give in the Faceless Man to become the No One, meaning she must discard all components that makes up who she is. Since it had been hint that Arya is choosing the latter, deciding to return to Westeros and reunite with Jon and Sansa, but it would means that Arya is going to be a killing machine as there are chances she will continue to kill who's on her list.

As for Tyrion, i don't see him surviving. In the book, Tyrion has become more of a flaw character as he committed a lot of unnecessary act lately.

Interesting with most of the original heroic characters know of (particularly Dany, Jon, and Tyrion), are becoming more darker and flaw in the latest volume. Dany starting to embrace her 'Fire and Blood' belief, Jon potentially becomes more grayer due to the betrayal, his alleged warging, and his resurrection has caused him to turn into a different character, and Tyrion lost everything and may want revenge against those who stripped what was his. 

18 hours ago, Raksha 2014 said:

The original ADWD was going to be book four of a six part series.  That fourth book was going to primarily focus on Dany's arrival in Westeros and the realm's reaction to her arrival.  Unless GRRM has deviated significantly from his original story I think we'll get to see Dany ruling at some point.

I'd also be extremely disappointed if GRRM's point to the whole series was some sort of feminist agenda.

1 hour ago, The Arthur Smith said:

Unfortunately as much as how cliche of me saying this, but i doubt Arya is going to survive in the series nor she will be the Queen of the North.

Arya never wanted to be a lady like Sansa and desired to be a tomboy, much like Lyanna. Plus Arya hasn't learn much in politics. So it wouldn't make sense for her to be the Queen of the North after Sansa. 

In addition, there's no purpose for Arya to become the Queen of the North as there isn't hints or foreshadowing in the book or show to implied she will be one. The purpose of her storyline is finding her identity. Whether she will embrace her Stark identity, meaning that she must abandon her moral compass to exact her vengeance and accepting her carnage. Or she will abandon her Stark identity and give in the Faceless Man to become the No One, meaning she must discard all components that makes up who she is. Since it had been hint that Arya is choosing the latter, deciding to return to Westeros and reunite with Jon and Sansa, but it would means that Arya is going to be a killing machine as there are chances she will continue to kill who's on her list.

As for Tyrion, i don't see him surviving. In the book, Tyrion has become more of a flaw character as he committed a lot of unnecessary act lately.

Interesting with most of the original heroic characters know of (particularly Dany, Jon, and Tyrion), are becoming more darker and flaw in the latest volume. Dany starting to embrace her 'Fire and Blood' belief, Jon potentially becomes more grayer due to the betrayal, his alleged warging, and his resurrection has caused him to turn into a different character, and Tyrion lost everything and may want revenge against those who stripped what was his. 

The original last book was titled "A Time for Wolves" at one point.  This book and much of its content apparently now been scrapped, so I guess the book was one big prologue tying up all the loose ends.  But a Time for Wolves would suggest a Stark resurgence.

I think Arya will survive but will be an assassin.  One of the bittersweet acts will be that she'll be assigned to kill someone she loves or kill the romantic interest of someone she loves.  One possibility is that Jon & Dany save the day and team up together only for Arya to kill Dany on a Faceless Man mission.  Of course they could both die because....

At the end of the series I wouldn't be surprised if:

1) The Seven Kingdoms ends up being just that again with Westeros no longer united.

2) The Lannister's are completely wiped out.  I think all the remaining Targs may also be killed off as their family bloodline prophecy is completed.  Either way doesn't look good for Tyrion who is one of the two.

8 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

The original last book was titled "A Time for Wolves" at one point.  This book and much of its content apparently now been scrapped, so I guess the book was one big prologue tying up all the loose ends.  But a Time for Wolves would suggest a Stark resurgence.

I think Arya will survive but will be an assassin.  One of the bittersweet acts will be that she'll be assigned to kill someone she loves or kill the romantic interest of someone she loves.  One possibility is that Jon & Dany save the day and team up together only for Arya to kill Dany on a Faceless Man mission.  Of course they could both die because....

At the end of the series I wouldn't be surprised if:

1) The Seven Kingdoms ends up being just that again with Westeros no longer united.

2) The Lannister's are completely wiped out.  I think all the remaining Targs may also be killed off as their family bloodline prophecy is completed.  Either way doesn't look good for Tyrion who is one of the two.

A tme for wolves is also a great title when she dies and lives out her second life inside a direwolf. 

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 10:20 PM, Werthead said:

That was when ADWD was the second book of the trilogy: ADWD Mk. 1 would feature Dany returning to Westeros and invading at the head of the Dothraki army she had seized control of after she'd murdered Khal Drogo to avenge Viserys's death. In this version of the story, she never went to Qarth or Slaver's Bay, but basically turned around after the dragons were born and conquered the Dothraki outright.

The story slightly changed after that plot point was abandoned though :)

That version of ADWD was abandoned very early in the process. By the time the writing of the series reached the six-book plan (between 1998 and 2001), the post-five-year-gap version of ADWD would open with Daenerys discussing opening the fighting pits and eventually agreeing, then literally Dany's second chapter would be her in Daznak's pits with Drogon descending from on high.

What is bonkers is that by that stage GRRM had committed fully to Aegon (fake or not), so somehow Dany was still going to conquer the Dothraki, keep Meereen safe and arrive in Westeros by the end of that book. Based on how things have fallen out, I'm wondering if the original plan as for Dany and Aegon to meet head-on (hence a dance of dragons part 2) but now George might be having Aegon taken out by the Martells or Tyrells or in some other fashion before Dany gets back (since now I can't see Dany returning before the end of TWoW, at least).

I've gotten the impression from George over the years that his plan may have shifted away from Dany invading Westeros, having her own struggle to seize the throne and then subsequently fighting the Other invasion separately, to everything happening much more simultaneously: Dany invading and learning even as she's on the move that the Others are attacking etc and it's all a lot more chaotic. Which to me always made more sense anyway than letting Dany regroup first.

Do you have a source for any of that?  This is an excerpt from a 2000 interview with GRRM, after he had finished ASOS.

NG: Three more volumes of A Song of Ice and Fire wait to be written. What shape do you expect them to take, and are their titles finalized as yet?

GRRM: Yes, three more volumes remain. The series could almost be considered as two linked trilogies, although I tend to think of it more as one long story. The next book, A Dance With Dragons, will focus on the return of Daenerys Targaryen to Westeros, and the conflicts that creates. After that comes The Winds of Winter. I have been calling the final volume A Time For Wolves, but I am not happy with that title and will probably change it if I can come up with one that I like better.

23 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'd also be extremely disappointed if GRRM's point to the whole series was some sort of feminist agenda.

Whatever George's ending is, you won't be able to reduce it to one singular point. His themes are myriad and presented as natural elements to the story. One of those themes is to present the realistic struggles of women living in a deeply unequal society. I do hope that element doesn't disappoint you too much.

1 minute ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Whatever George's ending is, you won't be able to reduce it to one singular point. His themes are myriad and presented as natural elements to the story. One of those themes is to present the realistic struggles of women living in a deeply unequal society. I do hope that element doesn't disappoint you too much.

And yet it demonstrates quite clearly that noble women have a far better time of it than peasant men.

So I still see no feminist theme.  If anything he has ensured that his characters take centre stage, not their genders.

11 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

And yet it demonstrates quite clearly that noble women have a far better time of it than peasant men.

So I still see no feminist theme.  If anything he has ensured that his characters take centre stage, not their genders.

Feminist means a lot of dfferent things to different people. To some writing woman as real an interesting characters is a feminist thing that GRRM does. Acknowledged the different roles and pressures the society places on men and woman in a feudal society but still have them fight to achieve their hopes and dream is a feminist theme to many. 

Archived