Video Games: 'Does Not Open From This Side' Edition

KiDisaster

41 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So, are there any games coming out this year? I don't have the gaming time of last year, but I still wanna play something, ya know?

Total War: Warhammer comes out very soon!   :P

More specifically, what genre are you looking for/what system?  Its kind of hard to recommend "games" because I'm sure there are a ton coming out, too many to list.  I'm excited about TW:WH, Stellaris, Banner Saga 2 (I know its out, I just haven't gotten to it yet) and Tyranny, but your tastes may be very different.  

7 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Total War: Warhammer comes out very soon!   :P

More specifically, what genre are you looking for/what system?  Its kind of hard to recommend "games" because I'm sure there are a ton coming out, too many to list.  I'm excited about TW:WH, Stellaris, Banner Saga 2 (I know its out, I just haven't gotten to it yet) and Tyranny, but your tastes may be very different.  

I like Total War, Civilization, Star Wars, The Artist Formerly Known as BioWare, Elder Scrolls, Non-shitty Battlefield games that aren't Cops 'n Robbers, cool shooters like Titanfall... Really, I'll play any genre, I just want it to not suck.

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I like Total War, Civilization, Star Wars, The Artist Formerly Known as BioWare, Elder Scrolls, Non-shitty Battlefield games that aren't Cops 'n Robbers, cool shooters like Titanfall... Really, I'll play any genre, I just want it to not suck.

Mount & Blade Warband. You can generally find for cheap on steam. And if you like it, the sequel, Bannerlord, will come out this year, I think in the fall.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Titanfall 2 has been announced - not sure if it'll be this year though.

9 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Titanfall 2 has been announced - not sure if it'll be this year though.

Pretty sure it is, but like with ME:Andromeda, we're going to have to wait for EA's not-E3 conference to learn more. 

It seems companies increasingly take a page from Bethesda's handbook; rather than hype the game years in advance, they do a marketing blitz lasting a few months before the game's release. It's certainly cheaper, probably as if not more effective than drawn-out ad campaigns, and is needed given the reports that marketing costs have skyrocketed in the industry these past few years.

3 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

So, are there any games coming out this year? I don't have the gaming time of last year, but I still wanna play something, ya know?

If you play anything on PC, just go to the Steam store and start a queue.  Chances are you'll stumble across something worth playing sooner or later.  I went through a few queues yesterday and added like twenty games to my wishlist to buy when they inevitably go on sale later.

34 minutes ago, briantw said:

If you play anything on PC, just go to the Steam store and start a queue.  Chances are you'll stumble across something worth playing sooner or later.  I went through a few queues yesterday and added like twenty games to my wishlist to buy when they inevitably go on sale later.

I have like 120 games on steam. I've searched quite thoroughly.

15 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Do you like RTS games?

I bought Battlefleet: Gothic Armada (payraise ho!) and I quite like it so far. It's a Warhammer 40k space battle game where you pit ships against each other. The mechanics take some getting used to, and the balance isn't there yet, but a lot of fun whenever you enjoy blasting the enemies of the Emperor into space dust or ramming humie gits with the Orks's ginormous ships.

I quite like the campaign in particular; while the story is typical melodramatic 40k fluff, it presents a variety of missions, and actually reacts to your defeats; losing a mission doesn't mean you have to restart, but that the campaign grows harder in the long run and the story changes a bit. Of course, you can save scum if you don't activate Iron Man. 

If you prefer turn-based combat, I heavily recommend XCOM 2. After a few patches it runs much better and is an improvement over the original in almost every conceivable way. The modding community is also hard at work and several very cool mods are out already.

31 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

There are a billion good to great indie games sitting out there depending on your genre preferences.

What kinds of games do you like?  I can probably make a few recommendations.  I have a shitload of games in my Steam library.

21 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I WANT EMPIRE TOTAL WAR II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupid fucking fake goddamn world of warcraft total war.

Playing a ten year old game with no mods to speak of while they make something stupid. :angry:

Owch. I advise not suggesting that Warhammer has ever lifted anything from WarCraft. Bit of a contentious issue given the details of how WarCraft got started and Games Workshop decided (for once) not to sue, a decision I'm sure they've bitterly regretted ever since.

And yes, the next historical game is on its way. We probably just won't hear about it until 6 months after Total Warhammer comes out. I'm interested to see what it is, actually. If it isn't Medieval III I don't really know; Empire II wouldn't really be necessary until they finally switch to a new engine (preferably one that actually works properly).

Does Banner Saga 2 give you any options when starting a game in regards to the story from the first?  I'm asking as I'm thinking of getting it on my PS4 but I played through on my PC.  Is there something like the Dragon Keep for DA:I where I can tell the game what my decisions were?

Yes. The game has a recap of the storyline from the first and you can also decide who survives the final battle. However, in terms of the smaller decisions throughout (what NPCs survived) I believe that is randomly decided. For all the decisions to carry over, you need to transfer a save. Also, as I just discovered, if you play the first game on Easy you can knock it out in 8-9 hours, transfer your decisions over and then play BS2 on whatever difficulty you want.

There isn't a massive amount I'm interested in, but Torment: Tides of Numenera, Dishonored 2, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Thimbleweed Park and Tyranny are all on my radar. Divinity: Original Sin II and BattleTech as well, but I don't believe they're due until next year. Oh, and the new Star Wars single-player game which EA are playing very close to their chests.

I'm kinda looking for a console game the BF and I can chill and play together. Not even necessarily multiplayer or splitscreen (god knows they don't even make them anymore). We do have 2 xboxes now, but something we can sit down and play on the couch after work. I spent most of last year playing computer games, and unless one of my staple games comes out on PC I'd prefer something on the TV.

That comic was pretty great, Wert. I would be great with either Medieval or Empire. I'd really do flips for a WWI game, though. I know they won't do another classical era, and I have zero interest in something in the east (sorry, just not interesting to me).

I've never been into war after 1000 or so B.C.  A.D.but the BF is pretty into modern war (he likes the world of tanks game) and a WWI game could give me incentive to learn more about his silly metal gun boxes.

ETA: Time is so hard.

Got into the closed beta for the new Mirror's Edge game.  Kind of strange that a single player game has a closed beta, but hey I'm not going to complain.  I liked the first game quite a bit.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

THE NEW DEUS EX GAME 9MG 

I forgot about that. Mainly because the release date has been pushed back 3-4 times now. I'm hoping that August is firm.

LawBreakers is also out this year, first game by Boss Key (Cliff Bleszinski's new company). It's one of those hero based FPS games and looks promising. Interestingly published by Nexon who also have Dirty Bomb in beta which is F2P and basically the exact same genre. Dirty Bomb is pretty good, however 99% of people will probably ignore both of these games and play the shit out of that Blizzard game instead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dragonslayer Armour and The Princes have been killed. The Grand Archives was a major pain in the ass. Killing that goddamn Crystal Sage...ugh. Thank fuck it doesn't respawn. Must have died a dozen times before I got it. 

Dragonslayer Armour was fucking brutal. Princes on the other hand I had surprisingly little trouble with. Really cool fight though. 

On 4/24/2016 at 3:16 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm kinda looking for a console game the BF and I can chill and play together. Not even necessarily multiplayer or splitscreen (god knows they don't even make them anymore). We do have 2 xboxes now, but something we can sit down and play on the couch after work. I spent most of last year playing computer games, and unless one of my staple games comes out on PC I'd prefer something on the TV.

Diablo 3 is a solid multiplayer game on platform.

Still chugging along with Dark Souls 1. I'm enjoying it, and there haven't been any moments as tediously hard as the archers in Anor Lando or Ornstein and Smaugh, but I think the game is starting to outstay its welcome. In general I think intense, exploration heavy games work best as 20-30 hour experiences rather than 40+ hours, though that's just me. More importantly,  the areas have gotten very inconsistent in quality; the Duke's Archive was one of the best levels in the game, but then it's followed by the Crystal Caves, which I had to use a video walkthrough to figure out because it is so irritatingly constructed. Similarly, the Catacombs were a fun area, but then you get to the Tomb of the Giants and everything is dark. I had to follow another video walkthrough to figure out how to get to the first bonfire without falling, and the had to research online where to get equipment that produces light. Maybe these areas worked better when there were lots of people online leaving messages, but I have a hard time believing most people could figure them out otherwise, and that's pretty bad game design.

Anyway, have given up on Tomb of the Giants for now and am working through New Londo Ruins, which is a much more enjoyable area now that I've de-flooded it. Hopefully will finish that area off tonight and get closer to the end of this game- I'm in the mood for some FF9, and Stellaris is coming soon.

Archived