Doran and Dorne in Season 6

Petyr Targaryen

4 hours ago, Marcus Agrippa said:

Wait, they killed Doran and Trystane? What college did D&D go to? It should be stripped of it's academic credentials. (Please tell me it was Ivy league)

Very expensive college might even be oxford from what ive heard

How to salvage "Dorne":

Have a volcano explode and drag 90% of it into the sea, killing the Sand Snakes and Ellaria slowly and horribly.

Ok, now to be serious. Introduce Princess Arriana. Have her actually be intelligent and patient. Have her avenge her father by inviting the Sand Snakes and Ellaria to dinner, pretending she doesn't know they did the deed. Have them killed Al Capone style. Some guards rush in, hold them, then bash their heads in with pieces of his wheelchair. ...ok, you see what is messing up my plan here...Obsessed with killing off Queen Psycho and her brood of idiots.

Arriana sends the spears into the passes to hold against any retaliation due to Myrcella's death and tries to negotiate with King's Landing. She explains what happened via Raven. This has KL call for their heads and she sends all 4 of their heads in a peace gesture. Meanwhile, they negotiate a possible marriage for Arriana to seal Dorne's allegiance. Jaime, Tommen(if they kill off Margeary), or whoever. KL also sends one of the Kingsguard to watch over Arriana and make sure there will be no trouble out of her, who she promptly seduces. Needing to send a representative to KL, she sends...geez...who is left to send after all this?.....Darkstar? IDk. Forgotten cousin? Quentin? A parrot taught to be diplomatic? j/k but she sends someone to muddy the waters. Plots abound.

Meanwhile, Arriana is negotiating with Dany to support her invasion of Westeros. I'm a bit behind, but is Quentin still alive on the show? Send him to seal the deal by marriage which has him go through the whole "Tame dragon to impress her and gets burned to a crisp" thing from the books. More plots abound.

But they'll probably just have some shock value crap we've all seen thousands of times before on TV.

Spoiler

I'm surprised some of you are confused about Trystane and the Sand Snakes being on the same boat. It's actually not illogical. The Sand Snakes see him leave on the boat in Dorne. They kill him in King's Landing. It is not improbable to think that got on a second boat, sailed to King's Landing, and snuck aboard Trystane's boat to ill him. The plan to kill and Doran may have already been hatched before Jamie and Myrcella ever left Dorne. My only question was, what the hell was Trystane still doing on the boat. One would think he would have left it for King's Landing at the first opportunity.

Well as sucky as the sand snakes are, I think killing off Doran first episode makes a lot of sense, especially if they are reducing Dorne to some minor antagonistic role. 

There is no way the show would have time for whatever boring long game Doran had in mind. It's quite possible he gets murdered or dies in the books too, hadn't considered it before but now seems likely. 

Hopefully this sets up Dorne for something better than it has been so far. But you'd have thought intense acting lessons between seasons would have been on the cards??

40 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

Delighted he is dead.  I wish he was in the books too.  Absolute waste of time plot in the books and show.  Hopefully they'll kill off the Sand Snakes early too and we can just be done with Dorne.

This omg. For the first time in novels or the show, I cheered something Dorne related. Also, it made sense. Doran HAS done nothing; people have spent pages upon pages and posts upon posts justifying his inaction. Even in the novels, Dorne is on the verge of a coup. Novel offers some long-term plan behind Doran's seeming inaction via Aegon. Once Aegon's gone, there's no need for Dorne. I hope they disappear or turn rogue--an innocent Lannister is rounding a corner; out pops a Snake and stabs/suffocates/spikes them. Tommen is eating breakfast. A wee Snake hand materializes to pour poison on it.

47 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well as sucky as the sand snakes are, I think killing off Doran first episode makes a lot of sense, especially if they are reducing Dorne to some minor antagonistic role. 

There is no way the show would have time for whatever boring long game Doran had in mind. It's quite possible he gets murdered or dies in the books too, hadn't considered it before but now seems likely. 

Hopefully this sets up Dorne for something better than it has been so far. But you'd have thought intense acting lessons between seasons would have been on the cards??

I think in the books Aegon will lead Dorne to war with the rest of Westeros.  As there is no Aegon in the show, they'll have the snakes do that instead.

52 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Well, they killed off the best actor of the storyline, and left the sand snakes, none of whom can act, and are still wearing super cheesy costumes, so it's an odd choice.  Hopefully everyone in the Dorne story is also dead soon.  And, the one boat, two boats, three boats, how many boats we got....was lazy even by GOT standards.

58 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Can we just accept that the books and show are different things now? 

GRRM has already said that some characters that die in the show won't die in the books

1 minute ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Which doesn't make sense as the SS are kin-slaying bastards

Not sure how your point on this is relevant?  Kinslaying doesn't really matter or mean much.  All that matters is that if Dorne go to war in the books, then the show has them doing it also.  The motivations behind the why?  Doesn't matter.  As long as the outcome is the same (and it will be the same because we've seen it happen in the books over and over.  The whole thing is a plot device to continue to weaken the realm so that the Others can blitz Westeros at the beginning of the Long Night).

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Well, they killed off the best actor of the storyline, and left the sand snakes, none of whom can act, and are still wearing super cheesy costumes, so it's an odd choice.  Hopefully everyone in the Dorne story is also dead soon.  And, the one boat, two boats, three boats, how many boats we got....was lazy even by GOT standards.

They didn't give their one actor anything to do, tragically. I don't even know why they included Dorne. tbh, I don't even know why GRRM included Dorne. Quentyn was wasted pages; anyone could have released the dragons, which is his sole accomplishment. Martells are primarily tied to Aegon. Without him, there's no reason for them to be included, other than as background characters who rise against the Lannisters.

I love the Martells as a concept (see my avi) but the execution in every case is terrible.

Archived