X-Men Apocalypse: continued

Maltaran

Oh and in Wolverine news it will be R-Rated, and 'kind of like a western in it's tone.' Old Man Logan? And Patrick Stewart is rumoured to be in it.

“I’m not sure what I’m allowed to say about that. I will agree with you that Patrick Stewart was rumored to be a part of that film. It takes place in the future, and as you and others have reported, it is an R-rated movie. It’s violent, it’s kind of like a western in its tone. It’s just a very cool, different film.”

http://collider.com/wolverine-3-filming-rated-r/

reviews are middling so far but sound fair as many cite "too many characters not enough characterisation" as a problem which DOFP threatened. I think it's fair to know what to expect with a Singer X-men film by now in terms of tone though so I'll be going along. What'll be interesting is to see whether the reviewers/columnists are as savage about it as they were BvS when it doesn't perform as amazingly well as a Marvel/Disney film?

A 90s follow up film would only excite me if they took the 90s cartoon cast and used them. They'd need rebooted Rogue for that too though. Some of the X-men are going to be pretty ancient eg Beast, Mystique or any of the "kids" who appeared in the 60s first class. Guess it works with Beast and Mystique.

R-rated "old man Logan" wolverine doesn't get me super excited yet as I never really enjoyed the comic (but know that adaptations of Mark Millar comics are always better). R rated doesn't mean the film will be good as I'm pretty sure I watched the R-rated cut of "the Wolverine" and the problems with the story didn't suddenly transcend into a work of art because I got to see him gut Yakuza. Where I do have some hope is if the X-folks realise Deadpool worked because they took the elements that make the character work and dialled it up through an r-rated filter. It's trickier with Wolverine as it's probably been a long time since that character worked - even in the comics. Hopefully none of the current stories as his continuity is fucked up of late.

11 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The critics almost always rate superhero films lower than fan ratings. And that 49% is only 18 favourable to 19 unfavourable, it's average score is 5.5, so at worst it's mediocre. Stuckman usually gets them right for me, so I'm not to worried yet.

How amazingly comforting.

I think there might be a level of fatigue for superhero, specifically Xmen movies at the moment. We've had BvS and Civil war in a short space of time. Xmen has felt like a 3rd tier franchise for a while and its hard to really care very much about it or even understand where it sits or what its identity is at the moment.

I personally thought DoFP was a real missed opportunity. What was one of the most interesting stories in the Claremont era became a rather bland middle of the road movie, safe in too many ways. Its hard to really feel any real sense of the characters in the Xmen now, or even what their relationships are, they all seem to have 'blanded down'. 

I also think the way they've approached Apocalpse is a missed opportunity, might change my mind after having seen the movie. But in reality he should be some massively terrifying creature of great power.. I'm not getting that from anything I've seen. 

Me too. First Class definitely hard charm, DOFP was ambitious and has some standout scenes, and yes, X2 is just very good.

I don't even mind X3 btw. It has some stuff I like.

Besides X3 I've enjoyed most of them. X1 gets a pass because it was still back when studios were cautious and cheap about comic heroes. X2 is well made but still suffers a bit from budget restrictions. DOFP had the budget and quality balance. It sounds as though Apocalypse may be focusing a bit too much on spectacle and not as much on story. If there isn't a word for it already it's probably Jacksonism (Although lucasism could be a contender too).

I really enjoyed First Class even though it has some structural flaws and treats a lot of characters as paper-thin. It still has a lot of heart and does a great job with the 3 main characters and Beast.

I do wonder if they should keep Singer as director though. He's a safe pair of hands so far and Rettner showed where change can be bad, yet a new director can breathe fresh air into a franchise too. It looks as though spin offs are for the other directors. Keep hearing a lot more about New mutants so I guess that's likely to happen now.

I have many problems with X3 but it's not as bad as people make out. On the other hand, First Class is much worse than people seem to think. It genuinely put me off the franchise, and that's from someone with longboxes full of X-Men comics. It has some good actors giving good performances, but it has some genuinely terrible writing and production issues.

Once more, I cant agree with Mormont.

Xavier's talk with Wolverine regarding Jean and then saying "I don't have to justify myself, least of all to you", made my skin crawl.

Their killing off of Cyclops was just stupid.

Magneto's army was full of faces, but lacking character and often felt like they just took up space.

Magneto's entire handling of the final act was moronic on a whole nother level.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Last Stand screwed up the Dark Phoenix. Unforgivable! 

The general callous killing off of characters in dull ways was one of the things I disliked the most. That and dull action with Magneto, the bridge etc. The sad thing is that I thought the opening scene was excellent - that image of a young Angel trying to shave of his wings was really powerful but the rest of the film failed to deliver on that initial promise. Which was a problem when part of the plot revolved around a "cure". Bascially Rogue was the only one who seemed like they could really benefit from losing their powers - the rest seemed pretty happy with their powers. Why wouldn't they be? It would be like changing your skin colour or sex as a solution to racism and sexism. If I could control the elements I'd be keeping them.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Last Stand screwed up the Dark Phoenix. Unforgivable! 

From Singer's comments he intends to do it again - his way. Probably with the younger cast. If the follow up is in the late 90s they could do it then as the time difference isn't all that great from X3.

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/12/x-men-apocalypse-writer-teases-post-credits-scene

Post credits scene just got a strange tease that could make its mark across several films.

Far too many reports mention Mr Sinister as a candidate for me not to think they know more than they are letting on. Sinister would make a great anti-Nick Fury character that could legitimately turn up in all the x-films. It's a shame Jared Leto is already doing the Joker as he'd have fit.

Then again I just read that Bryan Cranston said he'd like to play Mr Sinister. The producers of the X-films would be fools to turn down that kind of offer!

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I want them so much to do a Mr. Sinister movie. 

But I also wanted them to do an apocalypse movie, and it appears they fucked that up. 

Yeah I'd rather have no Sinister than a shit one. It's not like Oscar Isaac couldn't have done a great Apocalypse but it seems Singer is intent on doing his own version. Shame as Magneto has been well portrayed.

Archived