Rebels lose how does Aerys punish Starks, Baratheon, Tully, Arryn?

True.Kitn902

After the battle, the first thing Rhaegar does is crush remaining loyalists armies or accept surrenders, and then marches to King's Landing and deposes his father. Jaime either does or doesn't stop Aerys from burning the city, which leads to a drastically different outcome either way. Supposing Aerys is still killed instead of burning the city, Rhaegar takes the throne, and likely makes peace with everyone he can. He can't afford to march North to fight Benjen, there's no way they'd ever have a successful fight against the Northerners with such a shattered realm. He can't do much to Tywin considering he still has a powerful army, and Lannisters/Tyrells could probably ally and throw off whatever regime. Baratheons are probably removed from power and Conningtons put in their place, while Jon Arryn can probably negotiate for peace if he's not dead. If he is dead there's a succession crisis in the Vale since I assume the Darling of the Vale is killed.

He can't really do much to punish half of the rebels honestly if he wants to keep the realm together, and no one is supporting Aerys after this war.

I think Aerys reaction at Dukensdale provides the template. Mass murder. All the rebels obviously would be killed. Their immediate family members, no matter how young, would be killed. Even extended family would be killed, regardless of age or culpability.

Many probably killed in the cruelest way possible.

10 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

I think Aerys reaction at Dukensdale provides the template. Mass murder. All the rebels obviously would be killed. Their immediate family members, no matter how young, would be killed. Even extended family would be killed, regardless of age or culpability.

Many probably killed in the cruelest way possible.

I agree the rebels would have all being dead meat if Aerys had his way. The fact is even if Aerys wasn't a sadistic psychopath, he would still have to kill the principle leaders of the rebellion and put their families to death for rising against House Targaryen. At least he would believe he is emulating Tywin, hence why he massacred the Darklyns in the first place.

4 hours ago, True.Kitn902 said:

Title says all accept I'd also like to hear how Aerys handles Tywin staying neutral and Rhegar is alive and killed Bobby B at the trident.  

Haha, is that a Transformers reference in an asoiaf forum? Couldn't get much different then those two

And to answer your original question, i assume Rhaegar deposes Aerys right away. Robert would probably be dead from not giving up so no punishment for Baratheons since Stannis was just holding Storm's End for his liege lord. Ned probably goes to the wall which leaves WF in the hands of Benjen who some think knew more about Rhaegar and Lyanna than most.  Since Aerys seemed to buy Tywin was there to help, it seems he could have pretended to be following orders of protecting the west so he probably stays. But Rhaegar would need to be cautious so putting a loyal family in charge of the riverlands would help protect against the Lannisters. Tully's are most likely marginalized and Hoster a head shorter for joining the rebellion for purely financial gains. And I guess I would lean toward Jon Arryn keeping his head since he was supposed to protect his wards Ned & Robert, but I could see either way

While I agree with the above posters that a living Rhaeghar would have probably deposed Aerys, I wonder what would have happened if Rhaeghar had died but the Loyalists won.  

What if Tywin actually was loyal and brought an army to KL to fortify the city and hired sellswords to slow down Ned and harass Robert's forces?  It opens up a lot of questions.  Here are just a few:

1) Would Jaime have still killed Aerys?

2) If Aerys survived would Tywin have let him keep the throne?

3) How much say would Aerys have in punishing the rebels (remember Tywin's "make your enemies kneel then help them to their feet"speech)?

4) Who would be the heir/new king?  You've got Viserys, Aegon, and maybe a third male heir. That would be a mess in itself. and

5) Would Tywin try for a power grab?

Those are just five questions.

The Arryns and Starks are pretty isolated and the crown would have a tough time forcing them to submit especially after the Trident where the crown would have lost men as well and the fleeing rebel army would well flee home which would replenish a bit of troops for defense. Stormlands and Riverlands however are kinda fucked lol. STORMS END would starve to death before bending the knee though. 

He won´t.

Aerys will be deposed by Rhaegar (hell, he should be happy if he is not trialed for high treason against House Targaryen) and it will require a miracle for him to get in a position where he stays in power and somehow isn´t struck by multiple rebellions later.

As for punishment, the only thing I can see happen if smarter minds are in charge is making Darrys house paramounts of the Riverlands instead of Tullys (and maybe, maybe send some individuals to the wall). Nothing else. There need to be light punishments all around in order to solve the succession crisis Rhaegar created without a new war following after Rhaegar´s death.

Rheager tells Jaime before he rides off that he means to call a council when he returns. In what world that wouldn't include attempting a coup to depose his father, I can't imagine. He's definitely going to have to take a Baelor approach afterwards as well. I'd say taking Benjen, Edmure, and Renly on as his wards/hostages, sending Robert to the wall, instilling Stannis at Storm's End, and solving the immediate succession crisis in the Vale if Denys the Darling is now dead. If Lyanna hasn't died, he's going to have to set her aside and send her back to Winterfell, or he'll have an even bigger problem with Dorne. Then look for the most advantageous marriages possible for both his children and his siblings to rebuild political alliances. Aerys should be sent to "retire" in Dragonstone, but keep Rhaella at King's Landing.

It'd be bonfire of high lords, maybe. And Tywin with his 12k army would probably attack Riverrun (considering that Storm's End is too far and WF&Eyrie's locations are secluded) and massive murder of Tully to suddenly prove his loyalty to Aerys

3 hours ago, Protagoras said:

He won´t.

Aerys will be deposed by Rhaegar (hell, he should be happy if he is not trialed for high treason against House Targaryen) and it will require a miracle for him to get in a position where he stays in power and somehow isn´t struck by multiple rebellions later.

As for punishment, the only thing I can see happen if smarter minds are in charge is making Darrys house paramounts of the Riverlands instead of Tullys (and maybe, maybe send some individuals to the wall). Nothing else. There need to be light punishments all around in order to solve the succession crisis Rhaegar created without a new war following after Rhaegar´s death.

Aerys ? How so ? He basically acted as a father during the rebellion targeting any potential threat to his son meaning Lyanna's father, Lyanna's older brothers and Lyanna's betrothed. Had Jon Arryn obeyed him Rhaegar could have come back like a flower without having to respond of his acts, at least not to the wronged side. Which make me wonder whether Elbert Arryn and Kyle Royce were executed after Jon refused to send the heads or Aerys expected Jon to killed his two foster sons after having killed his nephew and heir..

6 hours ago, Kal-L said:

Aerys ? How so ? He basically acted as a father during the rebellion targeting any potential threat to his son meaning Lyanna's father, Lyanna's older brothers and Lyanna's betrothed. Had Jon Arryn obeyed him Rhaegar could have come back like a flower without having to respond of his acts, at least not to the wronged side. Which make me wonder whether Elbert Arryn and Kyle Royce were executed after Jon refused to send the heads or Aerys expected Jon to killed his two foster sons after having killed his nephew and heir..

He simply have no friends left...

The Baratheons, Starks, Arryns and Tullys are angry. His friends are connected in many cases to Rhaegar - who will "do changes" or have realized how close it was they had lost. The Martells are in general pissed about the whole situation. The Greyjoys have lost their leaders and is now led by a leader with an imperialistic streak. Tywin are angry at him. Varys have finally started to get that he need to do some sound advice before the party crashes down too soon. Tyrells are the only unknown and their support might falter if there is a Targaryen powerstruggle (They don´t want to take sides).

On 21/4/2016 at 7:45 PM, Leonardo said:

After the battle, the first thing Rhaegar does is crush remaining loyalists armies or accept surrenders, and then marches to King's Landing and deposes his father. Jaime either does or doesn't stop Aerys from burning the city, which leads to a drastically different outcome either way.

IICR, Aerys just planned that after he knew Rhaegar was dead. If Rhaegar is alive, then he had no reasons to burn the city instead of surrender it to the Rebels. I guess Aerys would simply open the gates for Rhaegar and his army, without imagining he's about to be removed.

I think it's more likely that a small group of men loyal to Aerys would fight Rhaegar's men, but then, it would depend on how many people Rhaegar kept inside KL to support him. As this scenario happens after BotB, Mooton is dead, Connington is gone, and Lonmouth is MIA. Remember that they are mentioned in the WB to be "Rhaegar's men at court". Arthur, Whent and Hightower are in ToJ. Also, him surviving doesn't mean that Darry and Lewyn Martell are still alive, so Rhaegar cold return to a very hostile King's Landing too and he could end up being arrested instead.

On 4/21/2016 at 8:45 PM, Leonardo said:

After the battle, the first thing Rhaegar does is crush remaining loyalists armies or accept surrenders, and then marches to King's Landing and deposes his father. Jaime either does or doesn't stop Aerys from burning the city, which leads to a drastically different outcome either way. Supposing Aerys is still killed instead of burning the city, Rhaegar takes the throne, and likely makes peace with everyone he can. He can't afford to march North to fight Benjen, there's no way they'd ever have a successful fight against the Northerners with such a shattered realm. He can't do much to Tywin considering he still has a powerful army, and Lannisters/Tyrells could probably ally and throw off whatever regime. Baratheons are probably removed from power and Conningtons put in their place, while Jon Arryn can probably negotiate for peace if he's not dead. If he is dead there's a succession crisis in the Vale since I assume the Darling of the Vale is killed.

He can't really do much to punish half of the rebels honestly if he wants to keep the realm together, and no one is supporting Aerys after this war.

1) there is no way Lannister and Tyrell get into bed together. Maces children are too young to be of use to Tywin.( no kids for almost 20 yrs)  

2)its in Tywins best intrest to play nice with King Rheagar. He has to power to free Jamie from his vows. Given that Rheagar needs Tywins vote at the grand council to depose his father a freed Jamie would be the only coin Rheagar would have to spend.

As for Ned he lives again hes of an age that can rule in his own right and can lend his vote to Rhea. Does he spend the rest of his.life a hostage yeah. Ned actually had cause to have a grievence against house Targ. His father killed his brother and father. Robert not so.much. so if anyone gets made an example of its Robert. Which leaves Stannis who had a hard choice between family and duty. With Robert dead and the lesson taught about rebelling against yhe crown along with Stannis again being able to rule amd lend a vote he lives.

Arryn is harder. As a distant relative and one in a keep military and political post. I think Rheagar would name him Hand. As Ned and Robert were his wards it was his duty to protext those that he swore to protect. Expecially as their fathers are dead.

That leaves Tully. Now they might end their days with their lands stripped from them or position as LPof the Riverlands. Yet Hosteen is alive and healthy at this point a respected man in the realm and given how Hosteen dealt with his bannermans defience come the council most would likely vote with Tully.

Also im given tobelieve the rebell lords before war broke out were considering backing Rheagar for a bid for the crown. Then Aerys murders Rickon and Brandon Stark. Blowing Rheagars hopes.of his father going quietly into the dark night were dashed against the wall. 

1 hour ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

1) there is no way Lannister and Tyrell get into bed together. Maces children are too young to be of use to Tywin.( no kids for almost 20 yrs)  

2)its in Tywins best intrest to play nice with King Rheagar. He has to power to free Jamie from his vows. Given that Rheagar needs Tywins vote at the grand council to depose his father a freed Jamie would be the only coin Rheagar would have to spend.

As for Ned he lives again hes of an age that can rule in his own right and can lend his vote to Rhea. Does he spend the rest of his.life a hostage yeah. Ned actually had cause to have a grievence against house Targ. His father killed his brother and father. Robert not so.much. so if anyone gets made an example of its Robert. Which leaves Stannis who had a hard choice between family and duty. With Robert dead and the lesson taught about rebelling against yhe crown along with Stannis again being able to rule amd lend a vote he lives.

Arryn is harder. As a distant relative and one in a keep military and political post. I think Rheagar would name him Hand. As Ned and Robert were his wards it was his duty to protext those that he swore to protect. Expecially as their fathers are dead.

That leaves Tully. Now they might end their days with their lands stripped from them or position as LPof the Riverlands. Yet Hosteen is alive and healthy at this point a respected man in the realm and given how Hosteen dealt with his bannermans defience come the council most would likely vote with Tully.

Also im given tobelieve the rebell lords before war broke out were considering backing Rheagar for a bid for the crown. Then Aerys murders Rickon and Brandon Stark. Blowing Rheagars hopes.of his father going quietly into the dark night were dashed against the wall. 

Robert was ordered dead just because he was Lyanna's betrothed. He had plenty of just cause.

Archived