The Poster Below: v43

Ramsay B.

The names for Germans, Germany and/or German language in most Slavic languages - and some other languages, like Hungarian, that borrowed the word from Slavic languages - are all similar and sound a lot like the word that literally means "mute". It's therefore likely that all these words are derived from the same Old Slavic/proto Slavic word (which sounds something like "nem"), originally signifying the Germanic peoples that Slavic peoples were in contact with before/around the time of the great migration (around 5-6th century). Now, while it may be fun to imagine that people in the olden days were stupid and thought that those who didn't speak their language were literally mute, it makes far more sense that Slavs were using the word to mean "those that don't speak our language/those whose language we can't understand". (An example of this use is a similarly derived outdated word, "nemust", which appears in all Serbian fairy tales as a word for the supposed language of animals, which the protagonist is given a special gift to understand.)

It's also been speculated that the name for Slavs/Slavic (and similar words for specific Slavic nations such as Slovenes/Slovenia and Slovaks/Slovakia, or regions such as the Croatian region of Slavonia) come from the proto Slavic word "slovo" (word/speach)/"sloviti" (to speak). There are other ethymological explanations, but these ones make the most sense: old Slavs used one word to refer to all the tribes/peoples that spoke the language(s) they could understand, and another for all those tribes/peoples that they couldn't communicate with in words, and the mostly happenned to be Germanic peoples. Slavic people = those who speak (in the way we can understand), Germanic people = those who can't speak (in the way we can understand).

A similar word, derived from Slavic words for Germans, means "Austria" in Arabic. It was borrowed from Ottoman Turkish and/or Persian, which in turn had borrowed it from South Slavic languages. For a long time, the Austro-Hungarian Empire was the most prominent  German-speaking country, so it makes sense that the word for German became the word for Austria.

I'm not going to be the one to break this streak. TPB will give us another fun/interesting fact.

Queen Mary I was the first queen of Hungary. She was born in 1371 to Louise I (The Great) and Elizabeth Kotromanić. She was crowned Rex Maria a week after her father's death at the tender age of 11 in 1382 (Regina was traditionally used for the spouse of a king. Her father had also issued a decree that Mary was to be considered male, legally, to ensure her succession to the throne, hence Rex.). 

The idea of a female monarch was highly unpopular with the nobility who supported her distant cousin, Charles III of Naples instead. Charles landed in Dalmatia to claim the throne in 1385, the same year Sigismund of Luxembourg invaded Upper Hungary and forced the Queen Mother to give Mary's hand to him in marriage. Charles still took the throne, but was murdered on orders of the queen mother and Mary was restored. In response his supporters kidnapped her and the queen mother. They were held captive in Croatia for over a year during which time queen mother Elizabeth was strangled in front of her daughter. After Sigismund was crowned king, he finally got his ass down to rescue his wife who remained Rex Maria a co-ruler beside her husband with close to zero influence on the government. Sigismund remained an asshole and Mary and her unborn son died in 1395 at the age of 24 in a riding accident in the Buda Hills after her horse threw her from the saddle and the fall induced premature labour. Such a sad story. 

Extra fun fact: Hungarian beauty brand Omorovicza claims that the scent of their Queen of Hungary facial mist was inspired by and based on the first perfume of Hungarian history which was, drum rolls, created for Queen Mary I in late 1300s. 

tpb will do the same. 

Mmmh let's try combine some historical fact with language:

In the late 1800's a slang was invented in the jails of the Río de la Plata area to avoid policemen to understand what the inmates were saying. This slang was called Lunfardo, and its words had a very large variety of language origins, but most of them had some kind of Italian source. This slang quicky became more wide-spread in the low and middle class of the Río de la Plata cities, and finally became well known thanks to its incorporation in tango lyrics. When tango became more world-wide known, some conservatives tried to have lunfardo words censured from the lyrics, but it didn't work. Nowadays many lunfardo words are still used in everyday informal speech.

TPB will check their playlist and tell us about the next song to play in it and why they put it in there.

I knew about "little death". The French have interesting sex related expressions. I also know what "la belle chose" (literally "the beautiful thing") means... (You can guess twice.) ;)

...back to the question.

I know what the next song on my playlist is, because it's there for an unusually specific reason. It"s "Need to Destroy" by THC, a rather obscure late 1990s trip hop band from California, best known for having three of their songs, including this one, featured on a couple of episodes of Buffy (they were playing a fictional band playing at the Bronze). I'm a huge Buffy fan, and I have a folder with all songs featured on Buffy somewhere on another hard drive, though I haven't listened to all of it in a while. I've always liked this song, but I've been listening to this one on repeat recently, because I'm planning to make an Agents of SHIELD fanvideo with it. I recently binged watched the first 3 seasons of that show, and it crossed my mind that the song lyrics really fit one of the characters, so I'm running images in my head while I listen how the video will look like. (Making it will be a bit more difficult because I'm having some issues with software for video conversion and editing... and not a lot of experience in fanvidding - if that'a word).

TPB will tell us their impressions about the latest video they've watched on Youtube.

The last youtube video I watched was of a woman explaining why her English language grammar program was superior to others. The video was really hard to watch as the woman would often say something incorrectly or would stutter in her explanation. I kept yelling out, "Cut!", to the annoyance of my wife.

TPB will do the same.

I really don't like horror movies. They are ridiculously unrealistic and for the most part they are trying way too hard. The Hitchcock ones I saw are obviously the most decent horror movies. At least they build tension reasonably. 

Tpb will tell us what they think about Tarantino movies. 

I don't think I have one at the moment, but in the past I had a massive Tarantino fan era as well as a David Cronenberg era. Today I would say that neither of them are nearly as good as I thought they were when I was 16. 

Tpb will tell us about their 16 year old self, because I don't have an even weirder idea at the moment. 

I had a sweet sixteen birthday party in my parents' unfinished basement.  At the time, I still had braces, I was growing out a really short spiky bob haircut, and I was wearing a hideous green and black floral blazer (sleeves rolled up) over a black dress.  Despite being one of the biggest walking fashion disasters of the decade (and this was the 80's!!!), I managed to have my first grown up kiss that night. :wub:  

TPB will tell us about their first kiss.

Some dude who was hitting on me awkwardly at a club and who seemed to think that he was French kissing, but it felt like he was just licking my mouth a lot in a wet and sloppy way, so I made a ew face and made him stop.

Sorry, we don't all have glorious first kisses. :shrug:

TPB will describe the first live gig they remember going to.

I am not a huge fan of gigs. But the first one I went to was some thrid class patriotic band. They wrote rock music for folk song lyrics. It wasn't bad but kinda weird. They played in the yard of the high school. There were lots of 40something skinheads and beer. oO 

tpb will tell us what was the first movie they saw at the cinema

Archived