Brian Cogman writing this episode

Pandean

4 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

I think that the OP got the reasons why some people hate Cogman, he wrote the most terrible two episodes in this season, he made the biggest plot hole I ever seen in this episode (last season : the north remembers, this season : the north forgot) , and his episode of last year 'Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken' was the most terrible episode of the whole show

OP definitely gets the reason now. This episode was shit.

7 hours ago, The Great and Mighty Poo said:

Though, I completely changed my mind after that scene with Marg and the Shoeless Zeolite- A women must please her man:ack: but it didn't cross the show runner of The 100 when he killed off a LGBT falling into that trope. He saw a tragic ending to a relationship. But anyway jeez this episode sucked ass. Only good thing was the 10 year old girl. But why fuck is she on the battlefield. ..because that makes since.

Mormonts are warriors, women too, especially at axe throwing.

2 hours ago, Pandean said:

OP definitely gets the reason now. This episode was shit.

Sure, but people blame too much on Cogman. Just like GRRM before him, he writes an episode, than D&D come with a marker and keep what they want. The naming of the episodes is done by D&D, probably in many cases months later... or at least they have the last call. And while the scenes in Dorne were horrible!!! A lot of that is the director's fault... I mean it's not Cogman's fault that they couldn't choreograph a simple fight. So, I don't see him worse than D&D, no way... he respects the books, but all his credit is gone after Season 5.

Just now, Bayard said:

Sure, but people blame too much on Cogman. Just like GRRM before him, he writes an episode, than D&D come with a marker and keep what they want. The naming of the episodes is done by D&D, probably in many cases months later... or at least they have the last call. And while the scenes in Dorne were horrible!!! A lot of that is the director's fault... I mean it's not Cogman's fault that they couldn't choreograph a simple fight. So, I don't see him worse than D&D, no way... he respects the books, but all his credit is gone after Season 5.

i wasn't speaking about the fight, I was speaking about the rape

3 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

i wasn't speaking about the fight, I was speaking about the rape

Yeah, again, in that situation the rape was going to happen. The problem is with the entire story arc made up for Sansa in Season 5, for the "logic" behind it. And while that is also Cogman's fault, it's more because of D&D and even Hill.

10 minutes ago, ToTheWolves said:

Didn't Cogman give us olly as well?

Don't know who created the character in the first place, but his beefed up role was Hill's doing. That's how he got his promotion, by suggesting that Olly should kill Ygritte. 

I'm not down with blaming Cogman. As others have said, it's a concerted effort and while he may have input, D&D have final say. The writers write what they are told to. Unbowed, Unbent and Unbroken I remember as overall being a good episode with the event at the end (and the title) overshadowing everything else. I will say he has made (at least one) unfortunate comment on an episode that fans have torn into him over. Specifically that Sansa was a hardened woman making a choice when marrying Ramsey. A lot of times I think the story they think they are writing doesn't come across on screen (Jaime and Cersei had consensual sex).

eta: and I think the idea to have Olly kill Ygritte was a good idea, actually. It's the rest of Olly's material after that that got under my skin. Very ham-fisted.

16 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Brian Cogman wrote Season 5's Episode 6: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken. It was The Sandsnakes attack but it was more notorious of the wedding and rape of Sansa. The dialogue and the title of the Episode is so insulting that it has probably marred his reputation with many because of it.

The dialogue in that episode was fine though. It was the dialogue in the previous episode where Littlefinger was convincing Sansa to go that was lousy.

16 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

He's known by writing the cheesiest dialogues in the show and he loves plot holes

How can you even make that ranking? The dialogue in all episodes is just about equally bad apart from the lines directly taken from the books. Cogman is terrible at it, but it's not like the other main writers credited for more than one episode are any better except GRRM himself. And besides, you never know who actually wrote a specific line in the writer's room. And I am sure the showrunners of GoT ask their writers to dumb the dialogue as much as possible. It cabn't be a coincidence that the dialogue has been so silly and simplistic for so many seasons in a row.

Just now, David Selig said:

15 hours ago, Future Null Infinity said:

He's known by writing the cheesiest dialogues in the show and he loves plot holes

How can you even make that ranking? The dialogue in all episodes is just about equally bad apart from the lines directly taken from the books. Cogman is terrible at it, but it's not like the other main writers are any better. And besides, you never know who actually wrote a specific line in the writer's room. And I am sure the showrunners of GoT ask their writers to dumb the dialogue as much as possible. It cabn't be a coincidence that the dialogue has been so silly and simplistic for so many seasons in a row.

they are not all equal, I'm sure  there is no quality checking, watch an episode written by Cogman and another written by dave hill you will see the difference, Cogman is a terrible writer 

Err... forgive my ignorance, but doesn't Cogman produce the episode based on a script, rather than write them? 

Isn't the writing down to D&D, and then they give the vision to Cogman, who essentially produces the storyboard for a director?

6 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

they are not all equal, I'm sure  there is no quality checking, watch an episode written by Cogman and another written by dave hill you will see the difference, Cogman is a terrible writer 

They're all bad writers, especially Hill, the person we have to thank for the dumb Olly storyline.  But at least Cogman uses more dialogue from the books.  He seems to have more appreciation for the books.  So his episodes tend to have better dialogue.  The stuff with Jaime and the Blackfish this episode could not have been written much better.  I'm glad he was the one to write that.

49 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

A few seasons ago most people here considered Cogman the best writer on the show after GRRM. And Dave Hill's episodes were terribly written IMO.

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

How can you even make that ranking? The dialogue in all episodes is just about equally bad apart from the lines directly taken from the books. Cogman is terrible at it, but it's not like the other main writers credited for more than one episode are any better except GRRM himself. And besides, you never know who actually wrote a specific line in the writer's room. And I am sure the showrunners of GoT ask their writers to dumb the dialogue as much as possible. It cabn't be a coincidence that the dialogue has been so silly and simplistic for so many seasons in a row.

GRRM is credited with writing what I think is the worst episode of season 3. Just sayin'

Archived