Biggest shock of Ep. 610? I say it was Margaery. (spoilers)

It was a shock when Margery died I thought she would escape. I was also surprised by Kevan Lannister and Mace Tyrell dying. It never occurred to me that the trails for Sir Loras and Cersei would be public. I thought they would be behind closed doors with just the High Sparrow and six septons. So I was surprised to see all the Tyrells go in one fell swoop.

However the biggest shock was Cersei claiming the Iron Throne for herself.

3 minutes ago, CasterlyBrick said:

It was a shock when Margery died I thought she would escape. I was also surprised by Kevan Lannister and Mace Tyrell dying. It never occurred to me that the trails for Sir Loras and Cersei would be public. I thought they would be behind closed doors with just the High Sparrow and six septons. So I was surprised to see all the Tyrells go in one fell swoop.

However the biggest shock was Cersei claiming the Iron Throne for herself.

I hear you about Cersei but once Tommen died, I guess the reason Cersei being crowned was not as shocking to me as Margaery dying is because over the last week or so I have seen discussion threads here claiming that IF Tommen died, then next in line would be...Jaime and/or Cersei (I don't recall the details, but it had something to do with one of their ancestors marrying a Baratheon, I believe).

Thus, as I understand it, although Cersei arguably seized the throne with raw power, my belief is that she DOES have an argument (I said "argument") that she is the rightful heir now as well.

There was speculation that Cersei would burn down all of King's Landing, King Tommen would die, and that the Crown would fall with no heir to the Iron Throne. I was expecting more of a power vacuum then Cersei consolidating all the power for herself. Still it's very exciting and make for a very interesting Season 7.

4 minutes ago, CasterlyBrick said:

There was speculation that Cersei would burn down all of King's Landing, King Tommen would die, and that the Crown would fall with no heir to the Iron Throne. I was expecting more of a power vacuum then Cersei consolidating all the power for herself. Still it's very exciting and make for a very interesting Season 7.

Don't get me wrong, I WAS somewhat surprised to see Cersei crowned, and so quickly, no less (Miminally, even if the next in line were Jaime and Cersei, I would think Jaime would have the better claim, especially since I think he's not a member of the Kingsguard at the moment)

So I'm not really disagreeing with you, just saying that from my point of view Margaery dying was the bigger surprise out of the two.

On 6/26/2016 at 11:50 PM, Cron said:

Pretty straightforward thread.

What was the biggest shock of the episode?

I say it was Margaery dying (or does anyone believe she is somehow still alive???).

Cersei wiped  out two generations of Tyrells in one day, just about.  I was not surprised to see Loras go, but I thought there was more to tell about Margaery.

Guess not, though.

Agree. And I'm GUTTED. 

It reads so completely rushed.

I get it. 

The series is almost over - fine.

But still - this was such an excellent characterization and it would have been 

fantastic to see the Tyrell support Dany in the end. I really believed the Tyrells

would be there, pledging allegiance to Dany and basically coming full circle,

back to the days when they swore their oath and earned the Reach.

It also didn't read correctly that Olenna wasn't more distraught. But oh well.

Memories.

4 minutes ago, VladimirDulud said:

Agree. And I'm GUTTED. 

It reads so completely rushed.

I get it. 

The series is almost over - fine.

But still - this was such an excellent characterization and it would have been 

fantastic to see the Tyrell support Dany in the end. I really believed the Tyrells

would be there, pledging allegiance to Dany and basically coming full circle,

back to the days when they swore their oath and earned the Reach.

It also didn't read correctly that Olenna wasn't more distraught. But oh well.

Memories.

Yeah, good points.

I like Olenna fine (great character, great actress), but I never dreamed she would be the last standing Tyrell on the show (there are more in Highgarden, I believe, but to my memory we've never seen them)

29 minutes ago, Frey Buffet said:

I'm so happy they put the Frey Pie in!!! I was most shocked by Varys being on the boat from Mereen. Poor fella must be knackered from the traveling back and forth haha. 

If i saw correctly there were ships carrying tyrell and martell banners in the armada. So he probably didnt return to meeren instead they met somewhere in the sea close to westeros.

7 hours ago, CasterlyBrick said:

I think she played an awesome move and good on her, although her reign is likely to be short lived given that final scene with numerous Targaryen, Greyjoy,Martell and Tyrell ships spanning to the horizon with three rather imposing dragons looming overhead.

The surprise was the never fail prophecy, so all the kids died, and jamie can still kill her but what of the younger and more beautiful woman that steals everything away from her!? It had to be Margery. That and the whole tyrells with the sparrows was for nothing. And the faith militant are not dead, they are armed worldwide.

On 6/27/2016 at 3:09 PM, TickTak7 said:

Two biggest shocks for me = 

1) How much I, and the people watching, laughed hysterically when Tommen jumped. Don't think it was meant to be funny, but it was such a tense opening to an episode, and that happening just felt so... random, bizarre, and comedic. 

2) Getting choked up during the Tower of Joy reveal. I mean, this has been a fan theory for nearly 20 years, and we finally got it complete, and it was absolutely beautiful the way they handled it. 

This. I have no idea why but I was cracking up too idk why haha

Such a show tommen move i guess...done so casually "well, fuck it, i guess I'll jump"

9 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I am surprised with Olenna living than Margaery being killed.  When the alliance was made with the Faith I thought Margaery unwittingly signed her death warrant. 

Also, how 69 minutes just flew by.

Fastest hour of the week!

I've seen every episode (all 60) multiple times, and I never cease to be amazed by how quickly it goes by, even when I'm watching old episodes.

I'll miss Margaery. Her death was spoiled for me, but I held onto 10% hope she'd make it out of there. Sure, she was calculating and if she lived to be Olenna's age, maybe she, too, would be as treacherous one day, but for now, Marg was the only character that managed to get what she wanted without hurting others (except Cersei).

Cersei taking the throne was a surprise, though it shouldn't have been. Of course, for now, it's the only way she could insure no one could order the City Watch to arrest her.

As for who will control the Riverlands, there is Casterly Rock down on one side, Harrenhall on another (Baelish), The Twins (??) and Riverrun (??) in the North and Middle. If Baelish can find a convincing lie to withdraw himself from WF, he could very well take Riverrun with HH troops (who were ... where when the Vale army went to WF). Maybe his lordship of HH is too new and he hasn't hired any troops there. Overall, I'm just having a hard time believing LF is ready to cut ties with Cersei and join the Starks.

I expect the first thing the Mountain did to the Septa was gouge her eyes out - he likes that move.

56 minutes ago, EllieDriver said:

I'll miss Margaery. Her death was spoiled for me, but I held onto 10% hope she'd make it out of there. Sure, she was calculating and if she lived to be Olenna's age, maybe she, too, would be as treacherous one day, but for now, Marg was the only character that managed to get what she wanted without hurting others (except Cersei).

I thought she was one of the more clever characters on the show and her sly ways will be missed in the final series. All the other characters are , well, such caricatures (Duh Dany, durp Jon) save for Tyron, and that final battle between zombies and dragons is infinitely less interesting than the politicking at King's Landing. And really - if i ever have to watch another boring scene in the North with those dudes that all look and sound the same....can't tell em apart. Was all for the South! And now the most interesting ones, save for Olenna, are gone....

The biggest shock for me was Jon Snow going all 'awww, you're my little sister still!' on Sansa's dubious explanation and quasi-apology. The guy has seemingly not learned a single thing! Not after getting assassinated. Not after getting resurrected. Not after practically losing the battle for his father's (or rather mother's) ancestral home. He's still a big doofus. A kind-hearted one to be sure, but still.

Tommen's suicide felt odd, not because of the act itself but the calmness of it all. Don't forget this was the guy who, in episode two, said to Cersei: "I should have executed all of them. I should have pulled down the sept onto the High Sparrow's head before I let them do that to you". There was clearly some fire in the little king.

The wildfire explosion was nicely done, but it couldn't have been more heavily foreshadowed if they tried. Between Tommen, Olenna and Jamie planting ideas in Cersei's head, if indeed she needed help coming up with the plan, the frequent references to Wildfire under all the streets 'and the Sept of Baelor!!!', as well as the repeated reminders that Cersei would 'burn cities to the ground' by both herself and Jamie, something like this was bound to happen.

I did sort of hope / expect Margaery would make it out, as she was smart enough to know something was going to happen that she didn't want to be present for.  If she had, Tommen wouldn't have killed himself and Cersei couldn't have declared herself ruler, and that would make for some interesting sparring and negotionations between Margaery and Dany.

However, with as little resources and support Cersei's got, she's not really numero uno. Her moment is a moment and that's it.  She's have done a lot better to have allowed Margaery an escape from her vengeance is mine!  Dany has zero reason to even listen to Cersei for a second.  OTOH, neither Dany nor Cersei are really good at listening to anyone.  They just leap.

Though maybe Tyrion has schooled Dany past that by now?

My real shock was that Cersei survived.

Archived