Alton Sterling shooting.

James Arryn

Yeah, to be clear what we know so far:

2 snipers in elevated positions from a multistory parking garage opened fire. Shots did not come from protesters. 

One suspect at large. Other is being negotiated with. 

At least 11 people shot, 10 of which are police. 3 dead police so far.

And dpd chief indicates that they may have planted a bomb.

11 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I guess the best way to protest police brutality is to murder the cops.

No, it's not.  We don't know anything about motive at this point.  This could have been an opportunistic attack that has little or nothing to do with the reason for the protest.  

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No, it's not.  We don't know anything about motive at this point.  This could have been an opportunistic attack that has little or nothing to do with the reason for the protest.  

Just now, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

???

Where has it been claimed there has been any determination made as to motive?

Two people coordinate a mass shooting of cops at a protest rally two days after the Baton Rouge incident... yeah... motive is clear.

16 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

I guess the best way to protest police brutality is to murder the cops.

I guess the best way for cops to protect and serve is kill unarmed people of color or ones that legally own weapons and have the right to have them in their possesion. Or for selling bootleg cds, or for selling loose cigs, or for running away, or for pulling out a wallet to show their id when asked to etc.

4 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Two people coordinate a mass shooting of cops at a protest rally two days after the Baton Rouge incident... yeah... motive is clear.

No, it is far from clear.  Who benefits from chaos in the US?  In a dry forest any spark can light the fire.  Perhaps some group with nothing to do with BLM decided to strike flint to steel in the hopes of seeing a confligration.

I'm not surprised that there are so many corrupt cops. On Forbes' list of top ten professions that attract psychopaths police officer was on there. Perhaps they like the power that comes with it. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2013/01/05/the-top-10-jobs-that-attract-psychopaths/#ae3df6073c39

ETA: Like I'm not a psychiatrist and I don't know him in detail but after watching the People Vs. OJ and hearing about Mark Furhman he was really a sick individual that was allowed to get away with terrorizing people for years. Working for the LAPD gave him a platform to carry out his violent behavior without getting in trouble for it.

Anyways, I'm not sure if whatever this is prevented change from happening because I doubt change was going to happen in the first place. The same thing that happened the other times-news media sensation for a while, protests and arguments over that, then they move on until the next incident happens. 

Now I do dislike how the focus seems to only be on men. There was a cop that raped a woman of color /black woman recently and only got probation and the MSM ignored it. Then there was Daniel Holtzclaw who 20/20 allowed to tell his side of the story despite the fact that he was a cop that raped tons of women!

15 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  The culture of "my life matters more than non-police lives" is a large part of where all the deaths come from.  The "blue wall of silence" reinforces this problem.  

Police do a difficult job.  This is not in question but their lives are not worth more than our lives.

This is reinforced with every "thug death" swept under the carpet.  They are worth much, much more than civilian lives according to the way punishment is meted out in our system.

Police have a tough job, yes.  It is made much harder if they are working in a culture of nepotism and pay-for-bed prison system that runs downhill.  Officers ranked by the number of arrests will be moved up.  Beds are paid to corporate jail and prison systems.  Officers that are genuinely trying to do their job will be shut up and shut down.  They will never get promoted and will be lucky to keep their jobs.  In some areas (like Louisiana.  Period) this is how things are done.  I know that this is not true of all officers and all municipalities.  I meet n00bs here on the "quality of life" beat all the time.  I tell them God Bless, because I am sure as F*** that the city won't look after them.  Nobody will.

This is like an episode of Luther.

Scott, while any motive is open, the D.P.C.'s comments seem to suggest that this is related to the Sterling or Minny shootings.

They had triangulated the march route, which could I be luck or improv, but more likely indicates knowledge of the protest path. Not sure how easy it was to get ahold of the BLM route in advance, but the chief seemed to think it significant.

The USA has the wealth to create a great society, with injustice reduced to a minimum. But this will never happen because individualism is considered the highest value. So: all for me, fuck the rest. because it's their own fault if they cannot make it.  Unfortunately the US has that calvinistic approach to capitalism and solidarity. 

This is the root cause for everything. 

1 hour ago, Arakan said:

The USA has the wealth to create a great society, with injustice reduced to a minimum. But this will never happen because individualism is considered the highest value. So: all for me, fuck the rest. because it's their own fault if they cannot make it.  Unfortunately the US has that calvinistic approach to capitalism and solidarity. 

This is the root cause for everything. 

The idea, back in that shining city on a hill, was I think a sense of balance.

But over time it's become more and more materialistic and gradually the social contract has evolved into a tenancy agreement. A society founded on Liberalism a la Rousseau, Locke, Hume et al...ie, that balance I mentioned, that awareness of costs and benefits to political choices and a desire for the welfare of all...has increasingly become beholden to some sort of Randish belief that wealth is the fruits of individual labour/ability (and poverty the inverse) like some me kind of monetary meritocracy that grindingly separates the wheat from the chafe. This in spite of the bulk of disposable wealth being inherited or corporate, and economic status depending increasingly on the wealth of one's precedents. The New Aristocracy.

Let them eat donuts.

Sorry for waxing rhetorical/tangential, not fully awake yet.

About this shooting in Dallas, just yesterday I was thinking that the current mentality towards authority...police and government in particular...was seeming to head a bit towards the films/etc. of pre-Trickle-Down era, where it was common to refer to cops as 'pigs', etc. I remember thinking 'I hope this doesn't mean someone shoots Obama' to really kick things off, but I'd dropped the wrong side of the triangle, and now a sniper shooting in Dallas is where we're at. 

Archived