Attempted Coup in Turkey

Fez

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

Even Gulen, who Erdogan is accusing of being behind the coup, has released a statement condemning the attempt.

If Gülen's movement is really behind all this, he's probably desperate right now to get some deniability on his side. 

This is horrible - it was sounding like things were just fizzling out and minimal people would get hurt, but this is frightening.  Seeing it on people's facebook pages etc., you have a feeling it could happen here, anywhere.  Surreal yet deathly real too.

Just now, Veltigar said:

If Gülen's movement is really behind all this, he's probably desperate to get some deniability on his side. 

If the movement was behind it then this shows they have no more hope for the coup's success.

If it was not and this is a genuine statement, then it is extremely unlikely that the coup could ever have worked.

3 minutes ago, Horse of Kent said:

If the movement was behind it then this shows they have no more hope for the coup's success.

If it was not and this is a genuine statement, then it is extremely unlikely that the coup could ever have worked.

True. I wonder what the outcome will be. With out luck, Tayyip will probably use a wave of popular support to rewrite the constitution and turn Turkey into a presidential system, as he has wanted to do for quite some time. If the coup is unsuccesful (which seems likely right now), the best thing we can hope for is that his confidence is rocked enough for him roll back those plans and take a good hard look at what he's been doing. Perhaps make a few compromises and scale back on his sultanate plans. 

5 minutes ago, Commodore said:

how many effing times do Islamists need to take over governments for us to learn our lesson that this won't be some birth of democracy

Turkey's democratic government is one of if not the longest continuous democracies in Europe. 

Just now, Dickwad Poster #3784 said:

Turkey's democratic government is one of if not the longest continuous democracies in Europe. 

Europe?

Geographically speaking mere 3% of the Turkish territory lies in Europe, with the the somewhat bigger potion of 97% is on the Asian continent. Culturally? Nah, I won't touch that one with a stick. Anyway, it seems like the coup failed. Nothing to see here, move along. 

Personally I had somewhat mixed feelings about that. Military coups a bad as a matter of principle, but getting rid of the Mad Erdo would have been nice. 

30 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Google Böhmermann and the whole lawsuit against him. Then you'll know why I used goatfucker. 

Ahum, the controversy started somewhat differently. German satire show Extra 3 (pronounced extra dry) took aim at Erdogan with a song to the tune of a Nena song (I linked the version with English subs in the middle eastern thread back then). They did not need to go to the sexual preferences of Erdogan to get him mad. Erdo demanded that the song should be deleted, called in the German ambassador to Turkey and was throwing quite a tantrum. That started a controversy over free speech and how meek the German politicians act(ed) towards Turkey, because the EU and the German goverment in particular so desperately wanted that refugee deal with Turkey. Böhmermann then wrote that poem to educate Erdogan on the difference between satire and smearing (the poem was called Smear Poem), to show what is legal and what's not (he embedded in a segment in which he said, the following poem is not covered by free speech). Extra 3 themselves doubled down on the controversy and replayed the song that started the controversy with Turkish subs. The Extra 3 show anchor Christian Ehring himself remarked he was taken by surprise over the reaction that song provoked on the Turkish site, since it was pretty tame by their standards, and they did a much sharper piece on German vice chancellor Sigmar Gabriel a week later, and sarcastically remarked, that he will probably change his holiday schedule.

Looks like the coup forces in Istanbul are surrendering. However, there is fighting in Ankara. The parliament has been bombed and apparently another news studio has been occupied by soldiers.

I'm watching BBC. There's video of people out on the streets, walking en masse down what I assume is a motorway. There's video of unarmed men in civilian clothes swarming on top of a tank. It appears to be happening in response to Erdogan's call to go against the order for curfew.

Intelligence services saying now that the coup is dispersed.

Some people in Istanbul are reporting there have been no bombs there and all the explosions were sonic booms from the jets (by mistake or on purpose) ... hope you hear from your friend again soon Relic.

Archived