Watch, Watched, Watching: The Workprint Prototype Version

RedEyedGhost

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I really hope that the fight choreographers for Iron Fist take some inspiration from old Kung-Fu movies like the one from Shaw Brothers.

Seeing as how they kept the feel or theme of the original Powerman/Luke Cage in certain regards, I am really excited for Iron Fist. I'm wondering how The Defenders will shape up when they combine all these Marvel Netflix heroes into one show.

I'm also finding some of the Luke Cage translation quite interesting since the character was introduced in the early 70s riding the popularity of Blaxploitation at the time. Some elements of that genre are visible in Luke Cage.

http://www.vox.com/culture/2016/9/30/13099518/marvel-luke-cage-origin-story

Marvel's Luke Cage isn't afraid of the character’s blaxploitation roots. It embraces them, and is better for it.
What makes Marvel’s Luke Cage origin story so effective?

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I really hope that the fight choreographers for Iron Fist take some inspiration from old Kung-Fu movies like the one from Shaw Brothers.

Spoiler

In the Luke Cage series, as far as I've gotten in it, there are explicit references to the early martial arts movies we saw here, and then the later, by a discussion between two characters as to preference as to # 1 kung fu be Bruce Lee or Jet Li.  Then later reference via Luke's listening to (of course) 1990's Wu Tang Clan.  So this Iron First of which I know nothing personally, will more than likely roll with all that you like.

In non-spoiler reactions, LJ still looks far more 1920's to me than it does 1970's -- more Boardwalk Empire on screen than Shaft, who was indeed far more cartoony than Luke is,

Never would I suggest not watching Jessica Jones.  But yah, JJ's Luke will look quite different than Luke Cage's Luke does, even though a character important in the JJ series for LJ shows up in this series too (not saying who, for non-spoilery reasons).

I saw Sully the other night. Not a bad movie.  It was pretty much what  I expected.  Very similar to Flight in that regard.  I figured the film had a solid floor with Hanks in it, but was doubtful it would blow me away.  You can do without seeing it.

On a side note, I became aware of just how abruptly people hang up the phone in movies.  No manners.

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut. Ridley Scott, always a classic...

Also wanted to say that I saw Magnificent Seven and loved every minute of it. Hadn't read any reviews and went as a treat to the BF, but yeah. I liked it a lot. A lot of critics blasted it for being unoriginal and basically no depth, valid criticisms, but I just had a great time watching a lot of good actors shoot the hell out of a bunch of bad guys.

It was a fun movie.

Watched 'No Escape' with Owen Wilson on Amazon Prime. A pretty entertaining movie, set in a country that is obviously NOT Thailand, please don't mention that its Thailand!

Apart from a number of pretty brainless occurances it was a lot of fun. I'd also say that Pierce Brosnan does a fantastic impression of a typical drunken British Expat. I'd go so far as to say it was Oscar worthy, thats how accurate it was.

Over the past few weeks I finished out Season 1 of Narcos and then marathoned right through Season 2. I was going to post something after finishing Season 1 but couldn’t find the right words. The show left .. a bad taste in my mouth after Season 1.. I was disgusted of being entertained by it. I can’t remember a show that’s done that. I was not familiar with the detailed horrors of Pablo Escobar so it was almost surreal to see what this man did (and the sheer balls he had doing it) and knowing that it actually happened in real life. It should be a social stigma to glorify this man and his actions as a form of entertainment.. and yet, here I am hitting play on every new episode. Season 2 had a different feel and tempered me better.. but I had no sympathy for his family. Learning that Escobar’s family tries/tried to make money off royalties and branding associated with his name (at least according to Wikipedia)…. well fuck those people. I don’t care if my opinion is based entirely off a fictionalized drama piece. I have no sympathy for them.

Going through Luke Cage now. Entertaining (especially the music) and I like the distinctive theme. However sometimes I feel like it’s kind of corny and not quite up to the quality as the other Netflix shows. I’ll elaborate more in that thread.

On 01/10/2016 at 6:05 PM, Martell Spy said:

The huge alien invasion happened in NY as well. So you would expect changes there. I'm not even sure Obama is the President in the MCU. They've shown Obama on Mr. Robot as the President, and that series has been shown to be an alternate reality. The MCU seems to vary much more from our reality than Mr. Robot's reality. This shouldn't be surprising though. They already had aliens, and they are about to have a wizard.

The MCU's version of the US President appeared in Agents of Shield played by William Sadler, so Obama doesn't seem to be President there during the timeframe of the TV shows.

The MCU's version of the US President appeared in Agents of Shield played by William Sadler, so Obama doesn't seem to be President there during the timeframe of the TV shows.

We've been discussing this in the Luke Cage thread. There's been more than one name drop of Obama in the series. So it appears Obama lost to the President (Ellis Ithink it is) played by William Sadler in 2012 in the MCU.

Either that or a large continuity error was made. Them name dropping a US Senator doesn't seem to make sense.

I caught Roar on TCM the other day. It's been discussed before on these boards. Not much of a plot besides surrounding the actors with several dozen big cats and watching what happens, but thrilling nonetheless. 

Archived