2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

Helps that she's been wining gold since she was 15, so if she's doping, then she's been at it for a while.

Much more suspicious of athletes who used to be essentially nowhere, change coach and suddenly start smashing records.

So trampoline is an Olympic sport. It just looked way too fun to me, like people (especially the silver medalist) shouldn't be having that much fun at the Olympics. Really enjoyed it.

The walk is so much fun to watch. half the people look like they're breaking the rules to me. One guy fell, forgot the rules, ran for a little bit in order to catch up, then remembered he could get a yellow card. Referee didn't see him so he started walking again. Sad (but kind of funny) part is always when someone gets kicked out of the race. There's a bit of guilt on the face but you can tell they know they were walking "incorrectly."

14 hours ago, baxus said:

Men's rowing single final A has been THE closest rowing race I've ever seen.

At first, dead heat between Mahe Drysdale from New Zealand and Damir Martin from Croatia was announced, only for Drysdale to get the gold after photo finish. It was a matter of fractions of an inch. I'm glad that Drysdale won it, being such a legend of the sport, but feel sorry for Martin for missing it by that close a margin.

That was an astounding finish. All it really came down to was Mahe was pulling at the moment they hit the line, while Martin had his oars out of the water. Just that little difference in the phase of their strokes meant Mahe was on a surge beat and Martin was on a lull beat. If the course had been 1990 or 2010 meters instead of 2000, Martin would have had his nose surging at the line while Mahe was on a lull beat.

Martin's sportsmanship afterward was impressive and moving too. I'm sure he won the admiration of many for that. The definition of pure class in defeat.

Today's encounter between Arg and Brazil at basketball was amazing. They had to add 2 overtimes to get a winner. Arg won but Brazil gave an outstanding game. Funny (and sad) thing is that for this encounter security was increased due to previous incidents between Arg and Brazilians fans. This rivalry well known in football followed other sports in the Olympics. The Olympic organization of both countries urged the athletes to promote peace and civility in their social media in an intent to calm down the spirits.

I didn't catch the race, but it was in all the news that Ethiopian athlete Diro at steeplechase lost her shoe during the race, and still continued running. I was glad that the committee finally decided to allow her to qualify in the final even if she got 7th place.

Haven't been watching much this year (work and kids interfering), but just a small cultural point re: ethiopian athletes:

They don't have family names. What shows up as a family name is the name of their father. So Tirunesh Dibaba is called Tirunesh, with Dibaba being her father. Almaz Ayane is called Almaz, with Ayane being her father etc.

This fact, coupled with their utterly horrible pronounciation (understandable, but grating), has bothered me about the commentary for years.

5 hours ago, Baltan said:

I didn't catch the race, but it was in all the news that Ethiopian athlete Diro at steeplechase lost her shoe during the race, and still continued running. I was glad that the committee finally decided to allow her to qualify in the final even if she got 7th place.

They shouldn't have done IMO.

Her shoe came a little loose (and not apparently from being clipped; just from not being on correctly in the first place); so she decided to stop in front of lots of competitors, tripping them all up (and slowing her ability to put her shoe back on), delays and fails to get it back on, and then carries on.

Had it happened, and she took a pace to either side to get out of other peoples' way, or just kicked off the shoe and simply ran a slower time; then fair enough; but she actively chose to cause an accident which wasn't even close the quickest thing she could do.

5 hours ago, Davrum said:

Mo Farah falls early in his race, tripped (accidentally) by his own training partner, and yet still dusts himself off to win gold.

That's what sporting greatness is made of.

Yeah, that was impressive !

Pet peeve, but as much as I admire Mo, I wished a Kenyan or an Ethiopian had won the race just to allow them to bring at least one gold medal home, but nevertheless, Mo is a fantastic runner and totally deserved to win ! 

6 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

They shouldn't have done IMO.

Her shoe came a little loose (and not apparently from being clipped; just from not being on correctly in the first place); so she decided to stop in front of lots of competitors, tripping them all up (and slowing her ability to put her shoe back on), delays and fails to get it back on, and then carries on.

Had it happened, and she took a pace to either side to get out of other peoples' way, or just kicked off the shoe and simply ran a slower time; then fair enough; but she actively chose to cause an accident which wasn't even close the quickest thing she could do.

I get the idea that if you fall or have an infortunate accident, being your own fault or someone else's, there is no second chance and that's it. I really don't know why the committee decided to make her (and the other two athletes that fell because of her) finalists. I imagine there's a lot of money involved, and/or several threats were made.

As it was not in a final, and including them didn't left behind the ones that actually qualified, I didn't find it offending but in fact rewarding. If that hadn't been the case, it would be another "oh what a shame" moment: it's always sad to see someone's dreams and hardwork blow up in a second by a casualty, and it happens quite frequently during high performance events.

In a parallel, as said by Davrum, Farah won the gold medal despite of falling, showing that there are people that can still rock it even before a casualty.

Max Whitlock took Gold on men's floor. It was an impressive routine against very strong competition. Very happy for the Brazillians too, what fantastic routines, and a pleasant surprise for them to snatch some medals on home turf

Pommel final for him and Louis is on now, it's going to be a close contest I think

eta: Gold and silver respectively, yaaaaaaaasssssss!!!

10 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Amazing. When did we get so good at gymnastics?

From Beijing onward (commentators were talking about that too). And these new wins will only help things more

Eta: Which Tyler has it right, post-Beijing saw the Men's gymnastics improve dramatically. Before that we only really posted individuals

3 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Amazing. When did we get so good at gymnastics?

The emergence of Beth in Athens; with other girls joining her in Beijing, and the boys finally getting to grips with it in London (IIRC)

I can only comment on the events Ive viewed of course, but for the Track and Field coverage over the last few days the camera views have been simply fantastic. Especially have appreciated the long jump, Womans Sprints and the Mens Middle/Long distance shots. The Sprints where the runners eyes and face expression as theyve chugged across the finishes have been footage you remember long after the race and the side angle views right in the Long Jump pit, right on point. Good stuff Brazil !

Archived