2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

are you casting aspersions on the honesty of our cyclists?

No.

Edit: In all seriousness, i'm generally of the opinion that clean athletes at the olympics are in a small minority, so that's not why the British are so good at peaking at the right time. It's more a combination of money, science & treating any other event as a testing ground when other countries care more about those results.

40 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

No.

fair enough, i get sick of the nutters on certain cycling websites being incredibly anti GB.  and the womens team pursuit have put in an excellent start, much faster than australia and NZ so far. 

4 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

A world record, hopefully the first of many. :)

the mens sprint team and the womens pursuit were ridiculous odds 45 mins ago, i really regret not getting involved. 

i'm fully expecting the mens team pursuit to break the record as well since they allegedly have done so 3 times in training. 

At least we're getting the bronze. At this point I'm just glad Japan didn't cause another upset. Happy for the Blitz Bokke.

Also, watching Simone Biles is just so moving. Sheer brilliance.

Don't mind at all loosing to Fiji. They're a class apart from everyone else, and the only team actually playing 7s, rather than mini-15s.

I'd have liked to make it challenging, but hey.

Congrats Fiji on your first ever Olympic medal, and in your national sport no less.

I love the Opening. It was a celebration of Brazilian culture. I'm sorry it wasn't up for their expectations but we aren't exactly a rich region, you know? A little bit of love (and respect?) for a culture that is trying.

Except... they used all the ideas I thought we could use for the next Panamerican Games (here in Lima) except that we should mention Spain instead of Portugal... T_____T

Also, we all here below Mexico drink and swim in contaminated water and survived Zika, Dengue and Cholera, it's all right: the athletes will survive.

Or no, I don't know...

3 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

I love the Opening. It was a celebration of Brazilian culture. I'm sorry it wasn't up for their expectations but we aren't exactly a rich region, you know? A little bit of love (and respect?) for a culture that is trying.

Except... they used all the ideas I thought we could use for the next Panamerican Games (here in Lima) except that we should mention Spain instead of Portugal... T_____T

Also, we all here below Mexico drink and swim in contaminated water and survived Zika, Dengue and Cholera, it's all right: the athletes will survive.

Or no, I don't know...

Well, so far, they all have.

I don't understand the complaints either, I thought telling the story of how Brazil was settled was pretty brutal and dark, and I like that they went there instead of just celebrating all of the stupid clichées. I thought the jumping around on buildings part was incredibly stylish and cool. After that there was a lot of singing and stuff, and I don't particularly care for that, but that's like every opening ever, so who cares.

My country seems to be doing a lot better than four years ago, so I like Rio so far.

Congratulations to Fiji on their first ever medal, and making it gold is even better. I hope 7's becomes a permanent fixture in the Olympics. As a team field sport it is highly suited to the Olympics since it can, if they wanted to , be all over and done in a weekend. And it would mean Fiji is all but guaranteed to win at least one medal in all future Olympics.

Women's 7's seemed to get a bit of celebrity attention, which will hopefully help the profile of the game.

24 years since Canada's last swimming gold, and the drought is broken by a 16 year old who ties with American swimmer Simone Manuel, sets a Canadian record, Olympic record and a World Junior record all in one swim. So proud of our swimmers. So proud of our women competing thus far. 

My country (Serbia) is having a bad Olympics so far. We still have our shots at medals, with quite a few of our athletes yet to start their competitions and our teams still participating in team sports (women's volleyball, men's water polo and both men's and women's basketball) but some of our athletes have performed below expectations which may have been unreasonably high for some/most but definitely not for Djokovic.

12 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Pressure does funny things; and this tourney sure as hell matters!

It depends on who you ask. ;)

Archived