2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

5 minutes ago, Slick Mongoose said:

Holy shit what a race. Fair play to the Ausiies, they rode brilliantly.

Yeah, what a race. Had me out of my seat and punching the air.

I guess Sir Bradley will soon be introduced as Lord Wiggins of Modville.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have found the dumbest Olympic sport:

Race Walk

You kidding?  I watched that for an hour the last go around, fascinated by how strange it was.  They issue fucking yellow cards for raising a foot the wrong way for god's sake; how can I not watch?

Even though I know the result I am watching my taped Rugby.  Just watched GB vs SA and enjoyed the hell out of it.  I almost never get Rugby of anykind on my cable package; only shows on some premium channels.  I did have an issue with NBC's cameras though; often it tried to get a better shot and I suddenly didn't know which way people were running, sideways or forward.

38 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Why do sprinters slow down before they reach the finish line?

You can blow a hamstring at any second when you're really booking.

Also, it's only heats at the moment. Good to save some in the gas tank for the final if you're comfortably in the qualifying spots.

Aus vs Bra in Women's soccer has been a great game but after two extra periods no one has any energy left.  It is obvious neither team wants to go to PK but no one has the energy to prevent it.  One would expect a slop goal but the damn goal keepers are the only ones still on their A game.

Also Ledecky damn near breaks the 800 record by two seconds and almost lapped the eighth place swimmer in the finals.  Amazing.

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

are you for real?  you think that was legit?  

There were 18 PBs in that race, I can't believe all of them were doping. The speculation that the track is actually a bit shorter than it should be is more likely to explain the sheer number of fast times.

Yeah, when one person vastly improves in performance in a short space of time doping is going to be a suspicion (and there are going to be rumours about Ayana, given this is only the second time she's run 10,000m), but when every single person improves by that much you have to suspect environmental factors. I mean, even if all of them are doping it's unlikely that all of them started doing it in exactly the way and at exactly the time to provide such a significant improvement in the short stretch of time to peak, by this much, right now.

I mean, Ayana ran the second half of that race 10 seconds faster than the world record in the actual 5,000m. Surely if it was just down to doping she'd have set a better mark than that when running that event which till now has been her specialty?

Men's rowing single final A has been THE closest rowing race I've ever seen.

At first, dead heat between Mahe Drysdale from New Zealand and Damir Martin from Croatia was announced, only for Drysdale to get the gold after photo finish. It was a matter of fractions of an inch. I'm glad that Drysdale won it, being such a legend of the sport, but feel sorry for Martin for missing it by that close a margin.

I'm surprised there isn't much speculation in the news about Katie Ledecky.  The woman regularly wins by tens of seconds, she shaves seconds off world records.  It's great watching her, but sure do hope her pee is rigorously tested and tested again and kept on stock to test and test again in the future.  

Archived