2016 Olympics - Opening Ceremony and beyond....

Howdyphillip

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

From Beijing onward (commentators were talking about that too). And these new wins will only help things more

Eta: Which Tyler has it right, post-Beijing saw the Men's gymnastics improve dramatically. Before that we only really posted individuals

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

The emergence of Beth in Athens; with other girls joining her in Beijing, and the boys finally getting to grips with it in London (IIRC)

It looks to me like in the last two decades or so there's been some careful planning from the Team GB organisers to target, fund, and attract talent to any event that a seeming chink opens up in, especially medal-heavy ones. They were clear and open about doing that with the cycling, which has now become a glamour sport in the UK, but it really looks to me like the same is happening in gymnastics, and swimming might be next.

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I really wish someone would put a stop to this tradition of having the winners bite their medals.  You just know that at least one person who handled the medals didn't wash their hands after taking a shit.  

Not sure whether it would be worse if they washed their hands with Rio water...

I just saw my colleague in the elevator, who won gold at the Commonwealth games in 2014 for the women's 50m prone rifle event and asked he why she's not at the Olympics. She told me that the 50m prone rifle event is men only at the Olympics. WFT!?! 

So I go and look at all the shooting events for the Olympics and the 50m prone isn't the only men's only event.

50m rifle 3 positions

10m air rifle

Men's 50m rifle prone

10m air pistol

Men's 25m rapid fire pistol

Men's 50m pistol

Women's 25m pistol

Trap

Men's double trap

Skeet

Sure there's the women's only 25m pistol, but that smells of being the women's consolation for not getting to do the 50m pistol.

In John Oliver's words, how is this still a thing?

^That's very shocking to me; especially since I heard that sevens rugby wasn't an event at the Olympics because the IRB didn't have a women's divisions. And ad soon as the women's was ready it was entered. (The source was my brother and he's never really reliable. So I could be wrong on that). But yeah, that's disappointing.

5 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I really wish someone would put a stop to this tradition of having the winners bite their medals.  You just know that at least one person who handled the medals didn't wash their hands after taking a shit.  

Good thing there's no Faceless Men at the Olympics. ;)

4 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Good thing there's no Faceless Men at the Olympics. ;)

Actually, I was reading something recently about how one of the things Phelps was looking forward to in retirement was to not have to be so vigilant about where he eats because there's a very real threat that someone could drug his food.  

4 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

^That's very shocking to me; especially since I heard that sevens rugby wasn't an event at the Olympics because the IRB didn't have a women's divisions. And ad soon as the women's was ready it was entered. (The source was my brother and he's never really reliable. So I could be wrong on that). But yeah, that's disappointing.

Just as well they waited until the women's 7's was up and running, otherwise we wouldn't have won a medal.

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

He did it in 43.03 !

and he had shitty reaction time out of the blocks. 

really pleased for Kenny, who all of a sudden has snuck up to 5 golds, with a likely further one in the keirin.  Also Whitlock amazing.  However i couldn't give a shit about those 2  multi millionaires getting their golds. 

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I can only comment on the events Ive viewed of course, but for the Track and Field coverage over the last few days the camera views have been simply fantastic. Especially have appreciated the long jump, Womans Sprints and the Mens Middle/Long distance shots. The Sprints where the runners eyes and face expression as theyve chugged across the finishes have been footage you remember long after the race and the side angle views right in the Long Jump pit, right on point. Good stuff Brazil !

I´m sure the finnish TV-crew that once again handles track & field production is delighted.

Archived