HBO's Westworld(v3)- The man in black fled across the desert, and we all followed. [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

14 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Nope.  "Magnificent Seven" Yule Brenner from the original Westworld was definitely parked over by a wall in the basement;)

That's what I thought.  You would think they would have destroyed him, LMAO.  Maybe he was an Arnold model also in the show.

I do really, really like this show and hope I am not disappointed with the unfolding of all these mysteries.

52 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I do really, really like this show and hope I am not disappointed with the unfolding of all these mysteries.

I agree.  I'm liking it.  Actually, I'm kind of surprising myself a bit with my approach to Westworld.  Usually, when I watch/read a mystery (which is what this is at heart) I am compelled to try to figure things out and come up with theories as I go.  But with this show I find myself just being sort of content to let things "unfold", as you say, and not think about it much.  I guess I'm just "experiencing" it right now and I will ultimately make up my mind about it when it's over;)

59 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

But...take a closer look at the shot *right* after that one.

I...don't see it? Do you mean William going through the destroyed camp?

53 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I agree.  I'm liking it.  Actually, I'm kind of surprising myself a bit with my approach to Westworld.  Usually, when I watch/read a mystery (which is what this is at heart) I am compelled to try to figure things out and come up with theories as I go.  But with this show I find myself just being sort of content to let things "unfold", as you say, and not think about it much.  I guess I'm just "experiencing" it right now and I will ultimately make up my mind about it when it's over;)

Frankly, I'm not really sure that Westworld deserves to be hit with the "Lost-esque " label and theorizing. It's a show that has mysteries but it kinda has to. I don't know why it became the go-to "theory' show or if any show with mysteries will become that now. The mystery as we've seen so far could fit into a bog-standard thriller, like an Ex Machina-type film.

We have certain shows that seem to be in love with themselves (Mr. Robot can be argued to be the most recent) and their story but this one-barring some problems with how the timeline works- seems like one that can be viewed relatively straightforwardly.

I'm not really sitting there that concerned about how the smoke monster ties up with Whiterose's power plant and this or that and will it all add up in the end? It's pretty easy to just go with the flow.

It's part of the story! I think it's like The Prestige and it'll all snap together neatly at the end.

ETA: And also like The Prestige in that things that initially seem like character or writing inconsistencies are actually the biggest clues.

In the meantime, it's gorgeous to the eye and ear, raises all the big philosophical questions in a natural, lyrical way, and the acting is fantastic. What's not to like?

37 minutes ago, Castel said:

Ew, is that the same knife?

That doesn't really prove anything though, does it? If it's all one timeline he could have just gotten ahold of the Man in Black's knife. 

22 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Did anyone else notice Yul Brynner in last night's episode?

Yes, loved it. I've been looking for settings, characters and elements from the film. Has anyone seen the short-lived earlier television series based on the film?

I really enjoyed the plot advancements this episode. Maeve's arc seemed a bit too easy, but she was manipulating two dolts. I found her "awakening", so to speak, fascinating. After watching a short on Westworld and AI on HBO InDemand, I'm really leaning towards the show simply being about Free Will and Determinism and not as complicated as many of the theories suggest. The multiple timelines theory becomes less and less credible each episode. The short, however, did have an interesting line about learned behavior. It seems like the hosts have all learned the worst of human behavior from the guests and staff. Hmm, have any hosts learned love? ;) 

Teddy's new programming is interesting. Ford must really want Delores back.

Nice reveal on Sector 17. I'm curious as to the identity of all of the 7 "off-the-grid" hosts. One confusing thing was the adult male host in the home. Bernard called him "Arnold", but the home seemed to be construction of Ford's past, so I thought it was Ford's father and Arnold was simply mistaken. I'll have to watch that scene again.

So Theresa seems to be the one sabotaging the park. So corporate v. Ford. And now Arnold seems to want vengeance on Ford. I'm dying to discover more about their past.

4 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Didn't last episode make it pretty clear that Dolores isn't involved in the Wyatt plotline and MiB is simply lying to make Teddy go along?

Refresh my memory, please. I was assuming Teddy was Ford's new super host for retrieving Dolores. I'm seeing Teddy and Dolores as proxies for Ford and Arnold. I may be seeing something that isn't there, however.

Just now, Astromech said:

Refresh my memory, please. I was assuming Teddy was Ford's new super host for retrieving Dolores. I'm seeing Teddy and Dolores as proxies for Ford and Arnold. I may be seeing something that isn't there, however.

In the conversation at the bar, Ford asks MiB what he's up to, Teddy replies with 'we're chasing a man named Wyatt. He shot up the ranch outside Sweetwater, and took the daughter hostage'. Ford responds with 'that second part sounds... unfamiliar' and the MiB retorts with some wry quip that I can't remember but equated to 'we do what we must'.

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

In the conversation at the bar, Ford asks MiB what he's up to, Teddy replies with 'we're chasing a man named Wyatt. He shot up the ranch outside Sweetwater, and took the daughter hostage'. Ford responds with 'that second part sounds... unfamiliar' and the MiB retorts with some wry quip that I can't remember but equated to 'we do what we must'.

Ah, thanks. I'm reaching, but it's still possible Ford may have changed Teddy's programming after that encounter. I'll take Ford at his word and assume Dolores has gone off-script. Well, off Ford's script. Arnold may be telling her what to do now.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Nice reveal on Sector 17. I'm curious as to the identity of all of the 7 "off-the-grid" hosts. One confusing thing was the adult male host in the home. Bernard called him "Arnold", but the home seemed to be construction of Ford's past, so I thought it was Ford's father and Arnold was simply mistaken. I'll have to watch that scene 

There are 5. Ford's father, mother, brother, himself, and dog, built by Arnold as a gift in memory of Ford's only happy childhood memory. They are the only 5 left in the park that Arnold built himself.

Bernard thought Ford's father was Arnold because that was the only other figure Bernard saw in the curiously uncentered photograph of what Ford said was a photograph of Ford and Arnold.

Also, Ford was not there, or at least not visible to Bernard, when he was first in the house interacting with the hosts, and then Ford seems to appear out of nowhere.

This is likely all because Bernard is a programmed replica of Arnold, like Ford's family, and does not see things that challenge his programming or that Ford does not want him to see like the other hosts.

Archived