US Elections: The Last Trump

mormont

Shorter GRRM:

Trump's using classic demonizing techniques in his political ads. Hillary is using Trump's own offensive words and views against him. HOW IS SHE NOT WINNING BY FIFTY POINTS???

Answer: Hillary's a lousy, corrupt candidate and a significant fraction of America _enjoys_ Trump offensiveness, in addition to his views.

30 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Grasping at invisible, ethereal straws...

He's got nothing.

Appeal to a part of the population that Clinton needs to show up and vote? In a state that demographic that has been targeted with voting suppression measures aimed at their normal voting patterns. That seems to be enough.

Just now, Seli said:

Appeal to a part of the population that Clinton needs to show up and vote? In a state that demographic that has been targeted with voting suppression measures aimed at their normal voting patterns. That seems to be enough.

I was referring to Trump's "interpretation" of what Obama was saying. It was pure fantasy on Trump's part.

48 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

How about walking in on teen beauty contestants while they are changing and you are the owner, because their isn't much they can do?

I should read back pages, Boris!

Watch Trump in his rallies and on debates. Robert was nothing like that in dedicated hostility. I suppose they are similar in the are not interested in the work of governing and more in the victory. I doubt Robert was a racist. Did Robert enjoy humiliating people other than his wife as a practice? Grabber, yes, but I imagine he preferred them willing, didn't have a shortage and knew the difference. He got drunk to rape. But, there are similarities in their bad qualities.

Do you think someone of Ned's character would have liked Trump? Seriously?

Ah, I didn't say it on here, I meant like to friends in a group text haha. Also made a facebook status saying that. 

Yea, while Robert was a shitty leader in the book, he still knew how to be a decent person and try to protect his people etc. He also wasn't a coward.

Trump is very much an immature coward that talks a big game and is very vindictive and just horrible on every level.

46 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's got nothing.

Trump must forget how he has said he would love to punch protesters in the face or how he yells to throw them out or pay for people that beat a protester. 

Selective memory and lying or short memory. 

Oh god, I read the responses to it. Trump supporters spin it to say that Trump was talking about how Obama was yelling at the crowd and that what Trump was saying wasn't untrue. My god, these useless fucking cocksplats constantly find ways to twist every fucking lie Trump says into a "truth" in their head to justify what he says. They are pathetic, seriously fucking pathetic. 

1 hour ago, HoodedCrow said:

If you find sliming women, cheating, draft dodging, badmouthing minorities, threatening people with lawsuits, inciting violence, modeling hatred, sense of entitlement, undermining democracy, vowing vengence, praising his own genetics, lying constantly, lack of self control, lack of information, narcissism, complete lack of empathy, ripping people off for wages and loans, having failed businesses, rating and disparaging people for appearance constantly, not paying taxes, and faking charity giving, cute, well..he's your man.

Makes me think of Joffrey all grown up.

Yo, Joff is a much more well rounded character.

48 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's got nothing.

That is borderline unbelieveable.

7 minutes ago, Boris the Blade said:

Trump must forget how he has said he would love to punch protesters in the face or how he yells to throw them out or pay for people that beat a protester. 

Selective memory and lying or short memory. 

I'm not the psych person, but at this point I think he actually believes whatever half formed thought that's in his head at any moment.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How can anyone enjoy Trump's offensiveness?  I really don't get that.  He's a terrible human being.

It depends on what type of offensiveness it is. As an example, offending the MSM appeals to a lot of disaffected Americans. They're rather smug and officious, and expect politicians to 'kiss the ring'. Trump just ignores this tradition.

Making fun of a reporter's physical disabilities? Not so much.

Anyone with a couple of hours to kill should give a listen to #49 of Sam Harris' Waking up podcast.  Andrew Sullivan is Sam's guest, and they talk at length about how, despite all her faults (and they are not shy about listing them), she is still miles better than Trump as a candidate, potential president, and all-around human being. 

Interesting break downs of Trump's narcissism, penchant for outright bald-faced lying directly in the face of widely available video evidence, similarities to Hitler (for realzies this time!), and his general schizophrenic approach to policy, issues, and, well…pretty much everything else.  

Anyway, it was recorded after the 3rd debate, so its a bit dated at this point, but some may find it cathartic.  Though the bit about what an actual Trump presidency could look like may be a little (or a lot) troubling.

Here it is on youtube.  Its also free on itunes or similar. 

16 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Or, alternately, throw out the concept completely and go with MMP, ensuring however you want to draw up your districts that you get both local representatives AND party representation, while also strengthening party power - something that the US desperately needs.

And making every vote count, rather than the current situation of a handful of "battleground" states that matter while for most of the country there's no point voting if you're in the minority for your state. And giving third parties proportional representation so people can vote on their honest preferences, rather than the current situation where a vote for a third party is effectively a vote for whichever of the big two you're most opposed to, artificially suppressing support for third parties. And making government less partisan, since with more than two parties represented, it will usually be impossible to do anything without support from at least one other party.

Also, Condorcet voting for the President.

Any American who cares about democracy should be campaigning for electoral reform, irrespective of what your positions on any other issue are.

I suppose Robert was, reluctantly, an absolute monarch, and took over the government by force. Trump just talks like he will act like a dictator, even in a Republican system in which the presidential powers are supposed to be limited. However the House and Senate have already bypassed custom and are talking about new rules for appointing Supreme Court Justices. Hillary was held to a mock prosecution for breaking rules that her predecessors didn't comply with. 

Does Trump dissect cats? I can't speak to that, but his speech is harmful, and he affects a lot of people. My friends from Germany are pretty alarmed by Trump, because, well, now why would that be?

3 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

I suppose Robert was, reluctantly, an absolute monarch, and took over the government by force. Trump just talks like he will act like a dictator, even in a Republican system in which the presidential powers are supposed to be limited. However the House and Senate have already bypassed custom and are talking about new rules for appointing Supreme Court Justices. Hillary was held to a mock prosecution for breaking rules that her predecessors didn't comply with. 

Does Trump dissect cats? I can't speak to that, but his speech is harmful, and he affects a lot of people. My friends from Germany are pretty alarmed by Trump, because, well, now why would that be?

My classmate said that voting for Hillary was like voting for Hitler. I thought that was pretty funny considering the fact that trump is much more similar to trump. Even my friend who's a trump supporter was like i feel like tats pushing it a bit. But yeah trump doe-sent seem to care about presidential limits.

31 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

No worries. It's really interesting to me that he lies so effortlessly. It's like a righteous, indignant lie.

"You all saw it on television, right?"

Yeah I did, Donny. Not sure what you were watching though. 

Obama didn't have control of the crowd. The crowd ignored his pleas demands request to quite down multiple times. It's not how the President should appear. Trump knows this, which is why he brought it up. The jury's out on if he knows it's an untruth.

10 minutes ago, Return of the Cookies said:

Obama didn't have control of the crowd. The crowd ignored his pleas demands request to quite down multiple times. It's not how the President should appear. Trump knows this, which is why he brought it up. The jury's out on if he knows it's an untruth.

The president preaching temperance to a raucous crowd that wants blood?

That's exactly how I want my leader to appear.

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How can anyone enjoy Trump's offensiveness?

I think most people would agree (I certainly would) that we should avoid offending each other. However, certain groups have effectively weaponized this sentiment by encouraging members to have an extremely thin skin towards outsiders (i.e. a less extreme version of finding literally everything certain people say and do offensive). This wouldn't be so bad, but for some reason, authorities across nearly the whole spectrum of power side with the offended so very few people dare to publicly say "Look, this really isn't offensive."

Trump is to some extent a reaction to this. I've definitely found some of what he said personally offensive and I don't think insulting significantly more than half the population is the way to win elections (it's part of why he will almost certainly lose), but on the whole, I've enjoyed his performance simply because somebody finally showed the "I'm so offended and now you will suffer!" crowd that a large part of the population simply does not care. My favorite part of this election cycle was early in the Republican primaries, before the scum in the media who usually lead the public shaming realized this fact. They'd publish articles along the lines of "Look at what he said! He's a [insert standard PC insult] and he's definitely finished now!" shortly followed by "Trump is still winning? How can this be!?!?" It was very amusing.

23 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

The president preaching temperance to a raucous crowd that wants blood?

That's exactly how I want my leader to appear.

Obama's message was good, I agree with it* 100%. The thing is, Obama couldn't get his crowd to follow it. He didn't show leadership, which works in Trumps favor. It's a subconscious thing, but it's there. 

*If Trump had preached non violence at his rallies, he could have had a great talking point. The violence in San Bernadino and the Project Veritas videos could have been a great commercials. Instead, he told his supporters to punch protestors in the face. Genius.

Archived