Dany's Worst Move Yet

One-eyed Misbehavin

1 hour ago, The Sleeper said:

She was poisoned for weeks? Doesn't work. She's hardly the survivalist type, she lost patience and had very little clue about what it takes to survive there. She might have crossed the Dothraki Sea before, but as part of a khalasar and with her own retinue.

Dany was never going to conquer Westeros by making alliances and being likeable to the status quo. Her court is comprised of the misfits and the outcasts. Her potential power base is every Dothraki, every believer of R'hlor and every slave in Essos. She's going to conquer Westeros by overwhelming force. Dany breaks the mold and makes her own rules. That's her deal.

Ok I feel you on the 1st half definitely possible. Do you believe she had a miscarriage during her walk?

Again that is definitely possible too but she would have to make alliances. Her outcasts aren't enough and many will die. Against Faegon Blackfyre (Probably a dragon too)

3 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I'm interested why sending Jorah away is so high on the list? 

Hide contents

I thought that sword-thrust changing 2nd sons back to Dany's side (pending her approval) proved he is her man no matter what

Again, for the 400th time (it seems) listening to ADWD.  Barristan's POV is really speaking to me this time around.   Once Dany takes off with Drogon Ser Grampa is literally left holding the bag. In the next chapter I will be with Dany again as she hallucinates and ruminates about sending Jorah away.   He gave her good and honest counsel and I think Barristan could really have made good use of that counsel now that he has to hold everything together.   Jorah always looked out for Dany's best interest and made it appear easy--maybe it was for him.   Still I listen to Barristan second guess himself and his comrades in arms.   He's no dummy and he is so alone in Mereen.  It's so important to Barristan to get the hostages back.  That's all.   Your topic just happened to be timed with my sympathy for an old knight who did not want to be the hand of the queen.   

22 hours ago, khal drogon said:

That's stupidest shit I've seen written here.

Worst move from hindsight. 

Let's see.

1. Having a love affair with a sellsword isn't going to be much of a problem for her at all. She is a powerful woman and no one's going to care about her virginity. Why that is a bad move I wonder.

2. Because we know from other POVs Jorah is clearly a loyal, devoted person with creepy tendencies and not a creepy dude who once betrayed her and want's to sleep with her at any moment. Who would really have a person around if they only know the latter? I wouldn't blame her.

3. Locking the dragons is smarter than keeping untrained dragons that will further ruin any peace they are trying too hard to keep. More burnt bones will be a PR disaster that will only strengthen the harpy's case. By locking her dragons she has only controlled damage. 

Again it is blaming from hindsight. Detour to slaver's bay has actually given her power on her own. If she went to Pentos instead there is a great chance she would be married to Aegon and her dragons will be used to Illyrio's plans. By going there to acquire an army she would not be anyone's puppet. Her involvement in the Slaver's bay could have been avoided but she should be heartless if she does it.

In listening again to all the many problems Barristan has to deal with in Dany's absence, getting Daario back is #1 for an old knight with so much to worry about.   He had no problem locking up her husband, but he can't bear the idea of losing the man she loves to her enemies.    It's not a judgement on Dany's sexuality, it is the burden on Selmy and all those who actually love Dany that causes me to list Daario.   It would have been better for her not to have taken any lover during this tumultuous time.  Secondarily, there does seem to be some real resentment toward Dany because Daario is a sellsword.   I'm not sure why this is other than maybe simple jealousy but it is there.  

Likewise for Jorah.   It has nothing to do with his feelings for her so much as his value to her cause.  I believe he would have been able to help Barristan in gathering and leading the troops.   (When they stopped bickering, that is.)

The dragons in Kings Landing all withered away, the last being no bigger than a cat, I believe.   You used the word untrained, which is interesting because Dany has had no training in any of this.    This act made my list because the dragons are stunted in captivity and she badly needs them to grow and become fearsome creatures.  I agree completely with your rational on locking the dragons up, still I think Dany could have used their awesome terror to her advantage. (That is if she learned how to control them in some way)  She should have sought some knowledge out about Dragons--books, people, something.   The Sons of the Harpy gained renewed prominence after Rhaegal & Viserion were put away.  I'm not so sure they would have been as bold as they became if the dragons were loose.   I am hopeful Rhaegal and Viserion will mete out some terror on the enemies in TWOW.   

I've seen topics deteriorate to mush over the crucifixion of the Masters.   I understand and even applauded Dany's decision to do this until I got to hear Hizdar's pleas to bury his father.    Dany made a snap decision and she stands behind it wholeheartedly, still it ended up being a premature misuse of force that she didn't ultimately have to show.   She gained so much more power once the slaves became Free Men.   Sure the Masters required dealing with but the act was extreme.   She could have done better.   This is a testament to GRRM's ability to sway his readers unlike any I've seen before.  Blood and Fire are great when necessary, but only when necessary.   I don't think those Masters needed crucifixion at that point in the game.  

I'm not a Dany hater at all.  She's a child and she's made some mistakes just like Jon and Tyrion.  To her credit as a child queen, there was no one to raise her and she never expected to be the dragon.  I think she's doing the best she can with what she has to work with.   I look forward to her retaining a full court of loyal and wise counselors.   And maybe a dragon trainer or 2.   

11 hours ago, khal drogon said:

I have given my opinion on this matter and engaged in the same discussion so many times. What makes you think my counterpoints are judgemental and unreasonable? I would rather expect you to answer my points for this to become a discussion than complaining about my opinion.

And also the question is about worst moves. I would say it should be based on how the move is made rather than the end result. I think what is the information she has and what are the choices there before her should be considered. Blaming in hindsight is easy. But things like how Jorah would have behaved or how dragons would have acted unchained is something unpredictable even for us readers. That's the exact reason why I am against it.

You called the post ahead of mine stupid and accused me of hindsight without the full explanation of my thoughts.  You are not a moron. You made a compelling argument for your own opinions about Dany's worst moves.   I think it's pretty clear what the post ahead of mine was getting at.   It may not be on topic, but it is not stupid.   I didn't realize I was supposed to elaborate on my answers which I hope I have done to the satisfaction of anyone who cares to read.   Everyone comes here to share their ideas and thoughts, not to fight or be ridiculed.   Some posts ridicule themselves without anyone having to type a word about it.   Further, not everyone who posts here, and I've posted in enough of One-eyed Misbehavin's topics to know he doesn't create hate threads, comes here to bash Dany.   She's a beautiful character, bad moves and all.   It's OK for everyone to have thoughts and opinions and ideas about it.  Now then you've said your peace and I have said mine.   I look forward to any reply you might have to my longer previous post, supporting my position.  For the record, had I been really pondering the matter, I would have added marrying Hizdar to my short list.    It was a terrible idea which you illustrated nicely.   

3 hours ago, Richard Writhen said:

Aside from the total bonehead moves of not finishing off Yunkai and trusting Maaz Duur, effectively getting Khal Drogo killed, she's made decent decisions. But keep in mind how young she is in the books.

I think Mirri may even have been telling the truth: Drogo would have lived if he had not ripped off his poultice because it stung, despite Mirri's obvious reasons to hate the Dothraki. Drogo brought about his own death by taking off the poultice, trusting to his own herbwomen and their plaster of "caked leaves and blue mud" - as well as drinking both wine and milk of the poppy, both of which Mirri had told him not to do.

7 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

In listening again to all the many problems Barristan has to deal with in Dany's absence, getting Daario back is #1 for an old knight with so much to worry about.   He had no problem locking up her husband, but he can't bear the idea of losing the man she loves to her enemies.    It's not a judgement on Dany's sexuality, it is the burden on Selmy and all those who actually love Dany that causes me to list Daario.   It would have been better for her not to have taken any lover during this tumultuous time.  Secondarily, there does seem to be some real resentment toward Dany because Daario is a sellsword.   I'm not sure why this is other than maybe simple jealousy but it is there.  

Likewise for Jorah.   It has nothing to do with his feelings for her so much as his value to her cause.  I believe he would have been able to help Barristan in gathering and leading the troops.   (When they stopped bickering, that is.)

The dragons in Kings Landing all withered away, the last being no bigger than a cat, I believe.   You used the word untrained, which is interesting because Dany has had no training in any of this.    This act made my list because the dragons are stunted in captivity and she badly needs them to grow and become fearsome creatures.  I agree completely with your rational on locking the dragons up, still I think Dany could have used their awesome terror to her advantage. (That is if she learned how to control them in some way)  She should have sought some knowledge out about Dragons--books, people, something.   The Sons of the Harpy gained renewed prominence after Rhaegal & Viserion were put away.  I'm not so sure they would have been as bold as they became if the dragons were loose.   I am hopeful Rhaegal and Viserion will mete out some terror on the enemies in TWOW.   

I've seen topics deteriorate to mush over the crucifixion of the Masters.   I understand and even applauded Dany's decision to do this until I got to hear Hizdar's pleas to bury his father.    Dany made a snap decision and she stands behind it wholeheartedly, still it ended up being a premature misuse of force that she didn't ultimately have to show.   She gained so much more power once the slaves became Free Men.   Sure the Masters required dealing with but the act was extreme.   She could have done better.   This is a testament to GRRM's ability to sway his readers unlike any I've seen before.  Blood and Fire are great when necessary, but only when necessary.   I don't think those Masters needed crucifixion at that point in the game.  

I'm not a Dany hater at all.  She's a child and she's made some mistakes just like Jon and Tyrion.  To her credit as a child queen, there was no one to raise her and she never expected to be the dragon.  I think she's doing the best she can with what she has to work with.   I look forward to her retaining a full court of loyal and wise counselors.   And maybe a dragon trainer or 2.   

You have some valid points.

But I think you are making the same mistake by looking from the hindsight. I don't think falling in love is a "move" and it is really unfair to put the blame on her for Barristan's thinking of it as a burden. By agreeing to give Daario as a hostage Dany is willing to sacrifice her love and Barristan should not think more that. His Queen knows what is a hostage means and he doesn't have to save her love for her. It is actually a flaw of Barristan. Also she decides to sacrifice her love when she sees it strains things so it becomes less of a problem. Saying she shouldn't have taken a lover in the first place is pure hindsight bias. Maybe your recent reading of Barry's POV made you really sympathetic I guess. The guy has very big flaws you see.

Jorah got the natural reaction. She gave him a choice to apologize and he chose to be proud trying to say how she can't be without him. Both share the fault here with Jorah much more than her. He chose to be arrogant while he should not have. Dany's decision is clearly emotional here but I don't expect her to be not. Only a cold pragmatist would choose to keep Jorah for his value. I see the appeal of such kind of characters but Dany is not that character and I don't think Jorah would have solved all her problems. I could guess what would be his opinion on her marrying Hizdahr though. But I could see your point here.

Chaining the dragons is a very bad move for the dragons for sure. But she was forced into it and it is a very hard decision for her. It is the first of the self sacrifice she makes to keep the peace. I see more ill effects if she didn't chain her dragons than chaining them. First they have grown unruly and she neither has the time nor possess the knowledge to train three dragons. So effectively using them as scare tactics is impossible. In fact that would that would only turn people against her. Dragons don't differentiate between slaves and freedmen and that could be used by the insurgents to turn even freedmen against her. They only need to burn some children to blame her dragons for killing and that would cause more resentment. By chaining them she deprived them of a rallying point. Also her dragons are still small and vulnerable. Let's say one of her dragons burned a person in a public square or a fighting pit. The mob mentality is to kill the beast first and these dragons are vulnerable to common weapons like spears. No one thought of her opinion before attacking Drogon in her own presence imagine it without her. In a way chaining is good for them but no choice is the better choice. Things like they could be trained and used as a weapon is easily said than done. And it is unfortunate that they are preoccupied with other things. 

It is true that some of her decisions provided bad results but often she has to choose between bad and worst choices especially in aDWD. She commits mistakes though very human mistakes something that defines her character. She is a naive,emotional teenage girl growing into a powerful conqueror role and that transition is not done in a glorious way by Martin. She have to make mistakes and deal with it and have to grow into that role going through various tests. Some flaws define her character that there is no Dany without it. I would probably have a different opinion of her if she didn't try to free slaves and I wouldn't even have liked her. Just because that venture produced mixed results I don't see it as a blunder and see her as a failure. There are still things to learn for her and she is not perfect but she is still not the disaster she is made out to be. I am sure Martin doesn't have an easy path before her and I am looking for more growth in future books.    

7 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

You called the post ahead of mine stupid and accused me of hindsight without the full explanation of my thoughts.  You are not a moron. You made a compelling argument for your own opinions about Dany's worst moves.   I think it's pretty clear what the post ahead of mine was getting at.   It may not be on topic, but it is not stupid.   I didn't realize I was supposed to elaborate on my answers which I hope I have done to the satisfaction of anyone who cares to read.   Everyone comes here to share their ideas and thoughts, not to fight or be ridiculed.   Some posts ridicule themselves without anyone having to type a word about it.   Further, not everyone who posts here, and I've posted in enough of One-eyed Misbehavin's topics to know he doesn't create hate threads, comes here to bash Dany.   She's a beautiful character, bad moves and all.   It's OK for everyone to have thoughts and opinions and ideas about it.  Now then you've said your peace and I have said mine.   I look forward to any reply you might have to my longer previous post, supporting my position.  For the record, had I been really pondering the matter, I would have added marrying Hizdar to my short list.    It was a terrible idea which you illustrated nicely.   

I did not call your post stupid at all and you have misunderstood me. If that was the reason for this and your previous post I am sorry.

I found your points valid and those are opinions that are often repeated whenever this topic comes. I intended to point out the flaws with these arguments though I thought it would have been better if you elaborated those. I am tired of people just pointing out her mistakes without explaining the alternatives in these discussions. Usually these types of posts are always used to brand her as a failure without looking things in an objective way. There are some repeated points and the discussion rarely goes beyond those points and Dany threads usually becomes troll fests after a time with very few meaningful discussions and I am already tired of that. I know the OP didn't intend to create a hate thread but past pattern shows it would eventually become one and I hate it when it happens. It is hard defending Dany around here because often it is hard to differentiate between genuine critics and trolls and it could be overwhelming considering the amount of hate she gets. I wish the OP tried to encourage discussion rather than ask to list her bad moves which provides the opportunity to this becoming a hate thread. I am actually glad that you decided to make a detailed post about your opinion and I thank you for it and look forward for more discussions like this. 

On 10-11-2016 at 4:52 AM, marsyao said:

I am Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons. :bang:

Do I need to say more ?

You missed Queen of Meereen and it's Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. If you do it, do it right ;)

Her stupidest move was obviously walking into Drogo's pyre. Just because it worked out for her doesn't mean it wasn't idiotic when she did it...

11 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

Dany was never going to conquer Westeros by making alliances and being likeable to the status quo. Her court is comprised of the misfits and the outcasts. Her potential power base is every Dothraki, every believer of R'hlor and every slave in Essos. She's going to conquer Westeros by overwhelming force. Dany breaks the mold and makes her own rules. That's her deal.

More likely Westerosi will reject alliance than her not trying. Being likable is not her choice anymore. That choice was hijacked by Aegon. Still think she would get her alliances. There would always be resentment in one of the camps and her power will attract some. Westeros will be more divided than it already was during her arrival.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

You missed Queen of Meereen and it's Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men. If you do it, do it right ;)

Her stupidest move was obviously walking into Drogo's pyre. Just because it worked out for her doesn't mean it wasn't idiotic when she did it...

Her worst possible move became the best possible move. It is quite crazy. 

15 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

1. Yeah people do tend to defend their home/family (even some slaves)

Well yes but no in this case. Dany killed people who had no way of knowing if they had killed those 163 slaves  since she killed them without a trial, but also killed children simply based on their clothes. So she ordered genocide because people were slavers something that in a place called Slaver's Bay was their culture and was legal. She killed people because of who they were and not because of what they had done. That was no justice for those 163 slaves, that was genocide

2. Alternative? 

Actually having a plan both for the attack and for the future.

3. Blank

4. Seems familiar huh?

What?

5. Care to explain? The 3 lil devil demons coming alive?

Dany knew that it was Jorah who *killed* Rhaego  she even say that;

Ser Jorah had killed her son, Dany knew. He had done what he did for love and loyalty, yet he had carried her into a place no living man should go and fed her baby to the darkness

You can't just say "the harpy" there's a (very) few plausible ideas

The Green Grace is most definatelly the Harpy and Dany told her everything.

21 hours ago, Richard Writhen said:

Aside from the total bonehead moves of not finishing off Yunkai and trusting Maaz Duur, effectively getting Khal Drogo killed, she's made decent decisions. But keep in mind how young she is in the books.

Youth is not a determination of making goI'd or bad decisions.

RL, these ppl are taught to rule from the crib and while Dany herself lack a proper education those around her have had such an education and experience ruling.

Think boy kings and rulers.

William the conqueror came to his duchy young had to have a minority

Henry III, Edward III, Richard II, Edward V, Edward VI. all boy kings all had some sort of minority. 

By the time Dany reaches Slavers Bay she could be counted as a grown ass adult and has to take the weight..

Henry II became the figurehead of his mother's war at 15 and king at 18.

Youth maybe a hindrance to wisdom, but it's not a crutch to be used expecially when you make yourself Queen.

I personally have issues with Dany because she doesn't think and rules with her heart and not her brain. makes snap decisions with no idea of how her plays affect not only herself but her future plans.

Not to mention she doesn't stick with her plans.

Ends slavery but marries a slave and then it's okay for slavery so long as she doesn't have to see it and of course as long as she can wet her beak on the profits.

Not taking her hostages heads all bark no bite. But their children 

That didn't stop her from issuing the order to kill anyone over the age of 13 who wears a tokar.

I can't stand a hypercrite.

On ‎10‎.‎11‎.‎2016 at 10:57 PM, Protagoras said:

Her worst move is that (until now) she hasn´t really decided what she wanted. Peace or War? Westeros or Not? She acts quick on her feet, but tactics can never replace strategy. In many instances she want to keep the cookie and eat it, and that simply do not work.

[...]

And I also have to agree with Brown Ben. Dragons are a weapon, not something to lock up. Yes, children might die - what of it?

I agree to Protagoras' analysis.

I would judge Daenerys from the point on where shee took command, i.e. when she heads for Qarth.

First Point:

What she did not learn until the end of DWD is to kill the Girl and become a Woman/Queen.

Why, she is so young, has suffered so much, some might say now...

And I answer:

Jon Snow has undergone a parallel development. Being part of an army without responsibility then unexpectedly being put into command at a young age. And he managed much better to be a leader than Daenerys (despite of his burden to be a bastard and Daenerys with royal blood having the advantage to be born to lead).

Admittedly, Daenerys had no Maester Aemon to guide her a little bit on that way.

I would translate Protagoras' remark "Peace or War" into: Daenerys failed unto now to find the right balance between compassion and tough leading.

Example:

When the Harpies started to bring her into defense in Mereen, she could (and in my opinion should) have followed the Shavepate's proposal, that for every Unsullied killed by the Harpies, one of each of the noble families in the pyramides was to be killed; for the second dead Unsullied two, and so on.

Instead, Daenerys took young hostages, fell in love with them, introduced a tax of 100 gold coins for each killed Unsullied (or Freedman) from each of the noble families in Mereen. A ridiculous measure.

She could have avoided a civil war in Mereen, but failed to.

Second Point where I agree to Protagoras (and Brown Ben): Daenerys must have been aware that her best element of power were her dragons.

Even if it may sound cruel: I fully agree to Protagoras: "Yes, children might die - what of it?"

People that have died during Daenerys' conquest of Astapor, Yunkaij and Mereen count in numbers of thousands. And Drogon (who was never closed shut in the pyramid) killed just one child (as far as we know). Fear of the Dragons is probably as valuable as the dragon's power in battle itself. Daenerys must have seen that, but failed to take this as an advantage.

I am of the opinion that Mirri's poultice was poisoned, thus by allowing her access to a wounded Drogo, Dany indeed got him killed.

And yeah, younger people tend to not think things through, I think that's one of the few safe generalizations. Not all, of course, as with any other generalization; but if your character is fourteen years old in the books, they're prolly going to make a few critical errors.

On November 11, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Well yes but no in this case. Dany killed people who had no way of knowing if they had killed those 163 slaves  since she killed them without a trial, but also killed children simply based on their clothes. So she ordered genocide because people were slavers something that in a place called Slaver's Bay was their culture and was legal. She killed people because of who they were and not because of what they had done. That was no justice for those 163 slaves, that was genocide

Actually having a plan both for the attack and for the future.

What?

Dany knew that it was Jorah who *killed* Rhaego  she even say that;

The Green Grace is most definatelly the Harpy and Dany told her everything.

I was agreeing with u but there was a similar morality driven post that actually made me make this one. We chatted a bit on there. That's why I said this seems familiar.

And just checking on the green grace. It's my pick at Vegas for sure. Did she kill/make sure there was no Daario Bastard with the locusts? 

On November 10, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Curled Finger said:

Again, for the 400th time (it seems) listening to ADWD.  Barristan's POV is really speaking to me this time around.   Once Dany takes off with Drogon Ser Grampa is literally left holding the bag. In the next chapter I will be with Dany again as she hallucinates and ruminates about sending Jorah away.   He gave her good and honest counsel and I think Barristan could really have made good use of that counsel now that he has to hold everything together.   Jorah always looked out for Dany's best interest and made it appear easy--maybe it was for him.   Still I listen to Barristan second guess himself and his comrades in arms.   He's no dummy and he is so alone in Mereen.  It's so important to Barristan to get the hostages back.  That's all.   Your topic just happened to be timed with my sympathy for an old knight who did not want to be the hand of the queen.   

On November 10, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Curled Finger said:

The other guy made you mad don't take it out on the poor lil OP who is trying to keep it going. I just had 1 lil question I didn't see how much u had written 

Dany has only ever made one questionable move and that is trusting Mirri Maz Duur.  All of her other moves have been sound and they have paid off.  The decision to liberate The Unsullied from Mr. Evil, Kraznys mo Naklos, was not only one of the most brilliant tactical moves in the story but it is a moral move to free 8,000+ slaves.  Her crusade to stop slavery is one of the most heroic moves in ASOIAF.  Slaver's Bay is a work in progress.  It will take time to completely dismantle an evil slave trade that had been in place for thousands of years.  No other leader in the story could do better than what Dany has done in that region.  It is an ambitious undertaking that has never been done by anyone.  When she ends the slave trade it will be the single greatest act of good in the story.

17 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

And I answer:

Jon Snow has undergone a parallel development. Being part of an army without responsibility then unexpectedly being put into command at a young age. And he managed much better to be a leader than Daenerys (despite of his burden to be a bastard and Daenerys with royal blood having the advantage to be born to lead).

No, Jon was not a better leader.  Jon Snow is an awful leader compared to Daenerys.  Jon foolishly sent men that he needed on a suicide mission to hardhome.  Jon allowed his personal feelings for Arya to compromise his judgment.  He sent Mance Rayder to steal Arya away from Ramsay Bolton.  That's an act of war that brought Bolton wrath on the watch.  Jon is guilty of treason.  He's one of the worst lord commanders in night watch history. 

Archived