Video Games: Fantasy's Final '16

The Anti-Targ

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess EA figured the core Dragon Age fanbase didn't need to be enticed with something like the Mass Effect interactive comic because all platforms would suffer equally. Argualy this is another compromise forced on PC players because of the change in console generations making it very hard (but not impossible) to carry over game save datas from 7th gen to 8th gen consoles. Arguably with cloud saves becoming a feature at the end of the 7th gen, carry over saves on all platforms is possible. Also the interactive comic for Mass Effect had you make far fewer choices than what you make and what carries over if you actually play ME1. The Dragon Age keep goes into a lot more depth on your choices, and to get that level of choices into an interactive comic would be a helluva lot more work than the ME1 interactive comic.

I'm not saying they should have made something different than Dragon Age Keep, just that it should have been available within the game, when starting a new Inquisition save.

I can't believe that a web application has any sort of advantage in technology that would forbid to do the same within the game.

The Banner Saga 3 has hit Kickstarter. A no-brainer, as the first two games were brilliant.

SWAT 4, often-cited as one of the greatest games ever made, is now on GoG, with its expansion bundled. I've never played it but am tempted to give it a go. In theory my laptop should be able to handle it.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Disappointing that they had to go back to the Kickstarter well when they were able to fund the second game without it.

I think the well was dry. The $700K they raised for the first game funded the full development of that game, and what they had left over along with profits from the first game paid for the second. The profits from the second game have given them a boost for the development of the third, but now they need more to finish it off.

Seems quite reasonable. These are excellent games but they didn't sell millions of copies. I also know people who've been holding off for the third game to play all three, due to the fact it was very widely publicised as a trilogy. Also the fact that some of the developers were at BioWare during the Mass Effect debacle may have introduced a note of caution to proceedings.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:19 AM, Suzanna Stormborn said:

WOW!!! And that will be on DLC next week?

I dunno if it's DLC or just an update the game will force you to download when you boot it up. But it should be live now, I haven't turned on my xbox yet today. 

8 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I'm not saying they should have made something different than Dragon Age Keep, just that it should have been available within the game, when starting a new Inquisition save.

I can't believe that a web application has any sort of advantage in technology that would forbid to do the same within the game.

Setting up your world state import before the game released, was really the reason it was a web app. I think the DA Keep went live on the interwebs a month or so before release. So for those of us who bought DA:I on day 1 there was no faffing about with "back story", we could just jump straight into the game. I guess Bioware couldn't be arsed doing the work needed to also make it a pre-game, in-game "minigame". They were able to satisfy the loyal day 1 fanbase with making the Keep available pre-launch and that was enough for them I guess.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I think the well was dry. The $700K they raised for the first game funded the full development of that game, and what they had left over along with profits from the first game paid for the second. The profits from the second game have given them a boost for the development of the third, but now they need more to finish it off.

Seems quite reasonable. These are excellent games but they didn't sell millions of copies. I also know people who've been holding off for the third game to play all three, due to the fact it was very widely publicised as a trilogy. Also the fact that some of the developers were at BioWare during the Mass Effect debacle may have introduced a note of caution to proceedings.

But you'd think that after 2 successful and presumably profitable games they could have gone the more traditional route and got actual investors to back the game. Even if it didn't sell millions of copies (don't need to with a sub $1 million budget per game) it should be pretty easy to convince a couple of investors to stump up most of the $200K they need to get the game across the line.

On 1/24/2017 at 6:29 AM, Rhom said:

Truly a timeless classic

It's amazing...and addicting as all hell. Not sure if it was made by the same people who did the Final Fantasy games back then, but the nods to this game from FF7 are pretty cool to see.

Getting one of those Retropie systems was one of the best (or worst) decisions I've made. It takes some time to get it all loaded up, but it beats the pants off of the Nintendo Classic for $30 more.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

It's amazing...and addicting as all hell. Not sure if it was made by the same people who did the Final Fantasy games back then, but the nods to this game from FF7 are pretty cool to see.

Getting one of those Retropie systems was one of the best (or worst) decisions I've made. It takes some time to get it all loaded up, but it beats the pants off of the Nintendo Classic for $30 more.

Yep it was by Square (now Square/Enix).  You're making me want to go back and play it again.  

5 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Oh definitely.  It was essentially the Dream Team of JRPGs when it launched.  Had Sakaguchi who created Final Fantasy, Yujii Hori who created Dragon Quest, and Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame.  It was amazing when it was released.

And dammit... now you're making me want to download the game from the App Store and play it on my phone!  :lol: 

Slightly odd. A bunch of developers are making an Apocalypse Now video game via Kickstarter with the permission of Francis Ford Coppola, but it's not going to be a shooter. Instead it's going to be a "survival horror".

Some good talent on board and it sounds like it could be interesting.

On 24/01/2017 at 8:53 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

But you'd think that after 2 successful and presumably profitable games they could have gone the more traditional route and got actual investors to back the game. Even if it didn't sell millions of copies (don't need to with a sub $1 million budget per game) it should be pretty easy to convince a couple of investors to stump up most of the $200K they need to get the game across the line.

I actually very much doubt it. Investors wouldn't get a huge return and this goes back to what EA were saying a few years ago about the death of the mid-list, when investing $500,000 for a return of $2 million was simply completely uninteresting and not being seen as worthwhile (whereas 10 years ago it was very common).

What is a pertinent question is what happens if they again make a lot more money than what they ask for, since there presumably isn't a Banner Saga 4 to pour the excess funds into. I'd like to see them revamp the first game with some of the mechanics and greater variety of the second game, and maybe create a seamless mega-game out of the entire trilogy.

On 1/24/2017 at 0:53 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

Kickstarter is essentially free money to a developer.  They don't have to give away equity in the company in exchange for the money, which they would have to do if they got money from typical investors.  Kickstarter seems like a good deal for independent developers.

11 minutes ago, Werthead said:

What is a pertinent question is what happens if they again make a lot more money than what they ask for, since there presumably isn't a Banner Saga 4 to pour the excess funds into. I'd like to see them revamp the first game with some of the mechanics and greater variety of the second game, and maybe create a seamless mega-game out of the entire trilogy.

They probably deposit big checks in their personal bank accounts.  Maybe use a portion of the profits on their next game.  Spending money to improve their old games, which aren't that old yet, doesn't seem like it would be a good investment of their capital.

31 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Slightly odd. A bunch of developers are making an Apocalypse Now video game via Kickstarter with the permission of Francis Ford Coppola, but it's not going to be a shooter. Instead it's going to be a "survival horror".

(snipped the rest)

I saw this too... it has the potential to be great, but also the potential to be a great flop.  Fine line there, but I did go and donate a few bucks to find out.  Not sure how it'll play with the millennial crowd

2 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Kickstarter is essentially free money to a developer.  They don't have to give away equity in the company in exchange for the money, which they would have to do if they got money from typical investors.  Kickstarter seems like a good deal for independent developers.

They probably deposit big checks in their personal bank accounts.  Maybe use a portion of the profits on their next game.  Spending money to improve their old games, which aren't that old yet, doesn't seem like it would be a good investment of their capital.

It's not free money, since every pledge gets something in return, even if it's only the game, once it's finished. And for higher pledges they are giving art books and other such things which do not come at zero cost.

They don't have to sell equity in their company. Investors can simply invest with a X% of return agreement. Indeed they should be taking BS3 to Fig, not Kickstarter.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

So does that mean you will be playing as a Vietnamese villager trying to survive the horrors of US napalm and agent orange attacks and platoons of soldiers raiding, raping and pillaging your village?

If I has $10K kicking around I think I would make the max pledge, just so I can go on the Coppola Family Archives tour. Unfortunately I don't. 

In the case of The Banner Saga it is. The first game had a notoriously hard difficulty curve and the final battle was pretty tough. They later had to go back and fix it in patches because not enough people were getting to the end of the first game and were less likely to pick up the second game (which picks up immediately after the first, you can't just dive in).

This interview confirms thatBanner Saga 2 sold one-third the number of copies as the first game despite being reviewed far more strongly. It's even possible that the very lack of a Kickstarter for it resulted in less noise, publicity and PR for the game.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

I actually very much doubt it. Investors wouldn't get a huge return and this goes back to what EA were saying a few years ago about the death of the mid-list, when investing $500,000 for a return of $2 million was simply completely uninteresting and not being seen as worthwhile (whereas 10 years ago it was very common).

That may be true for EA and the other big publishers, but I think there are plenty of smaller publishers where that size investment is just right and that ROI rate would be extremely tempting. Places like Paradox Interative, Adult Swim, Deep Silver, etc.

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's not free money, since every pledge gets something in return, even if it's only the game, once it's finished. And for higher pledges they are giving art books and other such things which do not come at zero cost.

Except there are basically no enforcement provisions, and developers can drag their heels pretty much forever on fulfilling their pledges (or even delivering the main product). They can also pocket most of the money through salaries, make a product on a shoestring budget, talk about 'production difficulties' if the game looks bad, and be entirely in the clear so long as they report those salaries on their tax returns (which aren't publicly-released anyway). 

The only damage done is to their reputation (which they might not care about if the money sum is large enough), and not even then if they raise enough money to make a completely solid game while still having a lot leftover for themselves.

33 minutes ago, Fez said:

New Mass Effect: Andromeda trailer dropped today. Looks great.

"I don't need an army; I've got a Krogan."

11 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Also a new Andromeda Initiative that introduces your team. In addition to the Ryder siblings there's also the father Alec Ryder. 

Looks great.  Do still wonder why an ark ship would take a reproductively sterile member along for the ride though... :lol: 

Archived