Is Brandon Stark anything more than a poor man's Robert Baratheon?

PirateVergo

5 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

He went to war and cost countless lives over a woman who turned him down.

Utter :bs:.

First it was Jon A. who called the banners, Aerys who called for Robert’s and Ned’s heads and third no one so far knew why Lyanna left. From all the Westerosi knew Rhaegar kidnapped and raped her. You would had been right if everyone in Westeros knew that Lyanna left with her own free will, her family was ok with than and allowed it, Aerys hadn't ordered for Ned's and Robert's heads and after all those things Robert would call his banners to start a war. How on GRRTH was RR Robert’s fault. That is blind hate without logical reasoning.

5 hours ago, Lord of Raventree Hall said:

Except the rape one. Cersei says it in POV. Why would she lie to herself?

Cersei has proved to be an unreliable PoV. She lies about Robert for the same reason she lied about killing Melara. Even Cersei has tittles of consciousness and because that is unbearable she has to make excuses about herself, in Melara’s case was that she was trying to *steal* Jaime and in Robert’s case that he raped her when she had already told that

In the rare event that Rob leaves his whores for long enough to stumble drunk into my bed, I finish him off in other ways. In the morning he doesn’t remember…

4 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

He was far more than that. He was a plot device used to convey hints about Jon's parentage and give you insight of what house stark has been like in the past. 

True. Brandon show us how interesting the Stark was before boring Ned becoming the Lord.

how long before this thread becomes Robert haters Galore? Normally it takes less than 2 pages, and it's often folks who elevate rhaegar with Cersei logic with jack for evidence just because he MIGHT be a famous sperm donor who has been dead 15 Years prior to the books and who's greatest feat is tanking a warhammer like a boss 

2 hours ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

how long before this thread becomes Robert haters Galore? Normally it takes less than 2 pages, and it's often folks who elevate rhaegar with Cersei logic with jack for evidence just because he MIGHT be a famous sperm donor who has been dead 15 Years prior to the books and who's greatest feat is tanking a warhammer like a boss 

The funny thing about it is how among other things blame Robert for starting RR. As if Robert had the choice to not fight and just go home and live the rest of his life there.

:rolleyes: well, every soul has a view...

You are right; however there are some things that are not up to personal opinion. Where in the effing books it was told that Robert was the one who started the war and knew that Lyanna eloped with Rhaegar? Seriously people, if you want someone to take you seriously at least try to support your opinion from the books. Robert being the one who is to blame for the war isn’t in the effing books.

Or maybe a heavily patriarchal society that places no value on female agency would create dudes from the noble class with similar modes of behavior, including quick fuses and a lot of sex regardless of the implications for anyone else ¯\_(シ)_/¯.

Brandon is dead when the series begins. I'm sure if we got to know him on-page there'd be nuances to his personality that further differentiate him; it's just not his role in the story. But it's not exactly an out-of-place archetype here.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Neither Robert nor Brandon were jerks.

We don't know what kind of fighter Brandon was, we know that he had talent but he had never the chance to fight in a war.

Brandon hadn't the chance to fight with Rhaegar like Robert.

We don't know what kind of brother Brandon was.

We don't know how many bastards Brandon has.

You are right the Wild wolf is bland.

Almost word for word I was going to type this until I saw yours. I can't believe how in synch we were about responding. As a side note, here is a conversation I don't imagine happened very much.

"We are having guests tonight for supper"

"Oh wonderful, who will be joining us"

"Brandon Stark, The Wild Wolf"

"Oh lord, not him again....this is going to be a dreadfully dull affair"

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:19 AM, Daenerys Targaryen's slave said:

Ned is just a poor man's Stannis.

I think this is far more accurate than the idea that Brandon is a poor man's Robert. First of all, Stannis is the brother to a king. While Brandon was alive he was the scion of one of, if not the oldest houses in all of Westeros and Robert was the scion of a house which only existed by the grace of Aegon Targaryen. Not to demean Robert at all, this is still a pretty great position -- but if you think of terms of who would have been in a higher position, the adult son of Rickard Stark and heir to Winterfell or the adolescent heir to the stormlands?

6 hours ago, YOVMO said:

Almost word for word I was going to type this until I saw yours. I can't believe how in synch we were about responding. As a side note, here is a conversation I don't imagine happened very much.

"We are having guests tonight for supper"

"Oh wonderful, who will be joining us"

"Brandon Stark, The Wild Wolf"

"Oh lord, not him again....this is going to be a dreadfully dull affair"

"Oh no! He will start talk about his stamps and insects collections again. He is such a nerd!"

11 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

"Oh no! He will start talk about his stamps and insects collections again. He is such a nerd!"

Yes, as everyone knows "The Wild Wolf" was only one of his nicknames. Many of the northern houses where he was known best called him the Fatiguing philatelist

22 hours ago, YOVMO said:

I think this is far more accurate than the idea that Brandon is a poor man's Robert. First of all, Stannis is the brother to a king. While Brandon was alive he was the scion of one of, if not the oldest houses in all of Westeros and Robert was the scion of a house which only existed by the grace of Aegon Targaryen. Not to demean Robert at all, this is still a pretty great position -- but if you think of terms of who would have been in a higher position, the adult son of Rickard Stark and heir to Winterfell or the adolescent heir to the stormlands?

To be fair yovmo, the starks also survived by the grace of aegon, and the baratheon house is descended by the storm kings (as old or older than the starks since bran the builder was a boy and Durran was a young adult when the two met) and old valyria, two entities who had at one point great land "empires" that the starks never managed (or believed to be capable) to aquire...

Brandon was born the same year as Robert if i recall aswell, 262 A.C

7 hours ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Also known as the man with a thousand and one stamps, heir to a collection of stamps sourced from the arbor to the wall.

I think you mean A Thousand Stamps and One Stamp --- Stampraven

To be fair yovmo, the starks also survived by the grace of aegon, and the baratheon house is descended by the storm kings (as old or older than the starks since bran the builder was a boy and Durran was a young adult when the two met) and old valyria, two entities who had at one point great land "empires" that the starks never managed (or believed to be capable) to aquire...

How much of the original Storm King Blood was left in modern day Baratheon's though. I mean, if we want to get exact, Brandon is from an unbroken line dating back 8 millennia of Stark men. However, you are right, it is a very small point.

Brandon was born the same year as Robert if i recall aswell, 262 A.C

This took me back, but you are exactly right. For some reason I picture Brandon being older than both Robert and Ned in a way that Robb is older than Bran and Rickon, but you are totally right. Still, I would say that it would be odd to call Brandon a poor man's Robert.

9 hours ago, YOVMO said:

How much of the original Storm King Blood was left in modern day Baratheon's though. I mean, if we want to get exact, Brandon is from an unbroken line dating back 8 millennia of Stark men. However, you are right, it is a very small point.

This took me back, but you are exactly right. For some reason I picture Brandon being older than both Robert and Ned in a way that Robb is older than Bran and Rickon, but you are totally right. Still, I would say that it would be odd to call Brandon a poor man's Robert.

I got what you meant, and i agree that at the time the heir to the north was more valuable than the heir to the stormlands, particulary to the IT, who had the baratheons as close kin already.

The amount of wolf blood or targ/durrandon blood is mute so, yeah i guess brandon was more "pure" if that meant anything at all...

It's normal to make that mistake because Brandon is ned's older brother and robert is ned's best friend, so we tend to give best friends the same age almost by default.

Everyone is a poor man's robert :bowdown:  seriously though, brandon was a typical wolf blooded stark (unlike ned or benjen), yeah he had the same mercurial temper as robert, but bobby was a larger than life character type wich makes similar men look lesser

2 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

I got what you meant, and i agree that at the time the heir to the north was more valuable than the heir to the stormlands, particulary to the IT, who had the baratheons as close kin already.

The amount of wolf blood or targ/durrandon blood is mute so, yeah i guess brandon was more "pure" if that meant anything at all...

It's normal to make that mistake because Brandon is ned's older brother and robert is ned's best friend, so we tend to give best friends the same age almost by default.

Everyone is a poor man's robert :bowdown:  seriously though, brandon was a typical wolf blooded stark (unlike ned or benjen), yeah he had the same mercurial temper as robert, but bobby was a larger than life character type wich makes similar men look lesser

I can have peace on these terms lol

Robert and Ned relationship worked well because one was the alpha and the other one was his beta. Brandon and Robert would clash immediately with the former refusing to bend the knee to a person who couldn't raise half his bannermen despite his region being the size of Winterfell's internal swimming pool. They would clash regardign Robert's crown and then they would clash again when its evident that R+L=J. 

3 hours ago, devilish said:

Robert and Ned relationship worked well because one was the alpha and the other one was his beta. Brandon and Robert would clash immediately with the former refusing to bend the knee to a person who couldn't raise half his bannermen despite his region being the size of Winterfell's internal swimming pool. They would clash regardign Robert's crown and then they would clash again when its evident that R+L=J. 

Well the Stormlands had a preety gigantic tie to the IT compared to the north, so it's normal lords were on the fence...

Because there is no doubt in the books Robert had more charisma and leadership in one hand than most in their entire body, including Brandon Stark.

Archived