Video Games: Next Stop... Andromeda

Rhom

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

Only the first game. The second game is like that also, until there is exactly one opponent left; when that happens, the entire other team gets to go in-between each turn.

Its one of many subtle, but very good changes to the combat between the games.

Honestly, I'd forgotten about that.  Still, the strategy remains largely the same.  Whittle down enemy health bars and maybe get an occasional kill if you're outnumbered, then pick them off one by one once they're all weak.

The second game was basically better than the first in every way.  It was a very impressive sequel.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Only the first game. The second game is like that also, until there is exactly one opponent left; when that happens, the entire other team gets to go in-between each turn.

Its one of many subtle, but very good changes to the combat between the games.

They have that in the first game too. It's called Pillage Mode and it triggers when you've killed all the enemies but one. Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

For me there was a point about midway through the first game where the combat just clicked and I started really enjoying it and finishing battles with ease.  The key is to just lower the health of the shittier enemies without killing them so that they don't deal any real damage but still waste a turn that would otherwise go to the more powerful enemies.  After you get all the enemies down to low health and thus low damage, then you can start picking them off one by one.  Once I started doing that every fight, it was smooth sailing. 

I'm pretty sure someone gave me this same tip the last time I was playing it (it may have been you :P) and it was pretty helpful. Thanks for reminding me. 

3 minutes ago, KiDisaster said:

I'm pretty sure someone gave me this same tip the last time I was playing it (it may have been you :P) and it was pretty helpful. Thanks for reminding me. 

Honestly, it's really the only way to beat the game as far as I know.  I was getting my ass absolutely handed to me in one of the harder fights before I figured out that's what you're supposed to do, and from then on I'm not sure I lost a fight.  Some were tough, but once you get that strategy down the game becomes markedly easier.  I imagine replaying it would be a lot easier because I'd have no early struggles.

So my 1070 arrived and I've hit a bit of snag.

I physically installed the unit (which was a bit of challenge itself, since one of my hard drives was in the way and I had to move it), and I'm able to turn on my compute again. So that's good. However, my computer is not recognizing that the unit is installed. I have my HDMI monitor cable connected directly to my CPU, which is why I can still see my screen. But when I connect it to the unit, my screen gets no signal. And when I try to install the drivers, I get a message that the drivers "could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Looking at my PC case, the unit is all lit up, so it is getting power. Its possible that its not properly connected to the motherboard, but before I start digging around in the case again, I'm wondering what/where I can check in my system to see what's going on?

The first thing I would check is that you've got the right power supply cables plugged in to the slots on the top of the card. Some of the 1070s use a 6-prong and an 8-prong as opposed to two 6-prongs. If they are, then unplug the card from the motherboard and plug it back in. If you have a second PCI slot available try it in that one also. 

You can also check your Device Manager under control panel and see if the card is showing up under Display Adapters but I doubt it will if it isn't being recognized. You should get signal from the card even without installing the drivers, it'll just be low res. 

3 hours ago, Fez said:

So my 1070 arrived and I've hit a bit of snag.

I physically installed the unit (which was a bit of challenge itself, since one of my hard drives was in the way and I had to move it), and I'm able to turn on my compute again. So that's good. However, my computer is not recognizing that the unit is installed. I have my HDMI monitor cable connected directly to my CPU, which is why I can still see my screen. But when I connect it to the unit, my screen gets no signal. And when I try to install the drivers, I get a message that the drivers "could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Looking at my PC case, the unit is all lit up, so it is getting power. Its possible that its not properly connected to the motherboard, but before I start digging around in the case again, I'm wondering what/where I can check in my system to see what's going on?

My knowledge only extends to unplugging and plugging in. So I would go with what these guys below have said.

3 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

The first thing I would check is that you've got the right power supply cables plugged in to the slots on the top of the card. Some of the 1070s use a 6-prong and an 8-prong as opposed to two 6-prongs. If they are, then unplug the card from the motherboard and plug it back in. If you have a second PCI slot available try it in that one also. 

You can also check your Device Manager under control panel and see if the card is showing up under Display Adapters but I doubt it will if it isn't being recognized. You should get signal from the card even without installing the drivers, it'll just be low res. 

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Also, you might have to do a BIOS update. 

One thing that threw me when I put in a 1070 was the battery connections. The 970 I was replacing had one 6 prong slot. The 1070 had two 8 prong slots. But my battery cable just had a single 6 prong and a single 2 prong connector. I tried plugging the 6 prong in - it didn't work. I googled and watched a youtube video of someone installing the exact same card. It turns out I needed to connect both the 6 prong and 2 prong connectors into one of the two 8 prong slots. No mention of that anywhere in the installation instructions.

Once I did that, it all worked perfectly.

And fixed.

The issue was the connections. I'm not sure if it was the power supply or the motherboard; but after I took the 1070 out and put it back in everything worked fine. I downloaded the new drivers and launched Hitman, which was one of the games where the 750's limitations were most noticeable (even on medium settings, people more than 20-30 feet away stuttered a lot as they moved). The game auto-detected the card, launched at ultra settings, and everyone moved super smooth.

So that's that. I've got my new card, just in time for Mass Effect.

13 minutes ago, Fez said:

And fixed.

The issue was the connections. I'm not sure if it was the power supply or the motherboard; but after I took the 1070 out and put it back in everything worked fine. I downloaded the new drivers and launched Hitman, which was one of the games where the 750's limitations were most noticeable (even on medium settings, people more than 20-30 feet away stuttered a lot as they moved). The game auto-detected the card, launched at ultra settings, and everyone moved super smooth.

So that's that. I've got my new card, just in time for Mass Effect.

Sweet, glad to hear it worked out. 

Speaking of Mass Effect I'm trying to decide if I want to take a couple of vacation days the week it comes out...never done that before, but having paid vacation at all is pretty new for me. 

Yeah, it really wasn't that big a deal. The snag I hit was definitely due to me not initially doing the connections right. I will say though, I was not expecting the 1070 to be so physically large, its at least 50% larger than the 750 was. I think my PC case is pretty normal sized, but it still barely fit in there; and as is, I had to move my hard drives to lower spots on their rack. There's probably about two inches of space left on the length, and any GPU larger than that will not fit. Next time I upgrade GPUs, which hopefully won't be for several years, unit size is definitely going to have to be a consideration for me. Although, it looks like all the most recent GTX cards are 10.5 inches long; so maybe Nvidia's realized anything larger is just infeasible for too many cases.

11 hours ago, KiDisaster said:

Speaking of Mass Effect I'm trying to decide if I want to take a couple of vacation days the week it comes out...never done that before, but having paid vacation at all is pretty new for me. 

I've never taken vacation days to play a video game, but I have had circumstances work out where I had a few days to just play a game; e.g. picked it up on a Friday and had no plans all weekend so I just ploughed through the game. Its never worth it, no matter how good the game is.

And vacation days are a precious resource.

FemmeShep runthrough on ME2 is winding down.  Hit up loyalty missions for Garrus, Thane, Kasumi, Legion, and Samara.  The only one I have left now is Tali. 

Almost shed a tear watching poor Kelly get dragged onto that elevator knowing I wouldn't be coming to her rescue... :crying: 

Have a couple of DLC's to do as well.  Don't know if I want to do Arrival before I hit Omega Relay or not.  I know that Arrival makes the most sense post game... but after finishing up, I just kinda want to be done I think.  :dunno: 

On 17/02/2017 at 5:08 PM, KiDisaster said:

Sweet, glad to hear it worked out. 

Eh? Have you not worked before?

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I've never had paid vacation days. :dunno: 

A large portion of that is that most of my professional career has been self employeed of course, but there were a couple years there working for other places where I didn't.

I also don't offer it to my employees.  The concept of being paid to not work is so foreign to me that I can't even begin to consider it.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I've never had paid vacation days. :dunno: 

A large portion of that is that most of my professional career has been self employeed of course, but there were a couple years there working for other places where I didn't.

I also don't offer it to my employees.  The concept of being paid to not work is so foreign to me that I can't even begin to consider it.

:o  I thought I knew you.  I was wrong!

Back on topic... I've got a Brut@l game up to dungeon depth 18, but extra lives have become so expensive I'm probably on my last one for this game.  Only 8 more levels to go!  I can do this!

30 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

:o  I thought I knew you.  I was wrong!

Back on topic... I've got a Brut@l game up to dungeon depth 18, but extra lives have become so expensive I'm probably on my last one for this game.  Only 8 more levels to go!  I can do this!

Eh.  If my wife didn't force me to do it every once in a while, I'd never take a vacation.  I enjoy work.

I shut the office down when I need to.  I'm leaving for a couple days for a Rotary thing down in Chattanooga in March.  I have a day off coming up to volunteer at my son's school next month too.  But two years ago we went to Gulf Shores for a week, honestly by Wednesday I was about ready to climb the walls because I just wanted to be back to the office.

We are taking the kids to Disney later this year for fall break, but thankfully we aren't going to be there the whole week.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

You're from one of those civilized countries where every job has to offer paid vacation aren't you? :P

America doesn't work that way unfortunately. Paid time off is a luxury. 

Archived