NFL Superbowl: Dont Waste My Overtime

Jace, Extat

Can't believe it. Fell asleep in the 3rd quarter when it was 28 - 9. Woke up during the Lombardi presentation and was like "dafuq?!!"

Brady is Superman, Goodell is Lex Luthor, and the NY Giants are Kryptonite.

Congrats Patriot fans!

Pats fan.  Great game, probably the greatest I've seen.  Fumble in the red zone, pick 6, poor throws, dropped balls, blown coverages, and a huge halftime deficit.  

I left my brother at halftime to go pick up my kids and said, it's not over.  I didn't really believe that, but damn, that was epic. The biggest comeback was 10 points in the SB,  but 25 points?!

I do feel bad for Matty Ice, a great QB and a class act; and ATL, they deserve a championship.  It's unfortunate, especially the way they lost, but they can make it back, Matty Ice is nearly ten years younger than Brady.

Wow you guys. I don't even know how to react. This won't be organized, so I'll just get my thoughts out there.

At halftime I thought I was just going to have to donate $100 to each charity because it didn't seem like the Pats could score. I mean, I didn't even have field goals in my donation rubric, so it was looking like a goose-egg of a donation. When the Falcons scored their fourth TD, my wife and I started wondering how much more we'd watch. At some point in the third quarter I was just glad it wasn't a humiliating blowout... All through the third quarter Mrs. Gabriel and I kept nodding approvingly at home hard the team was playing despite the obvious loss headed their way. And then came the Hightower strip sack, because the Falcons were still taking deep drops...

Nothing but respect for Atlanta. They gave it to the Patriots good and hard for three quarters and more. They looked phenomenal. The defense was playing fast and making the Pats look awful. Julio Jones is amazing.

Worth noting that the streak continues: no regular season MVP has won a Super Bowl in this millennium. I think I said so before, but that's why I wasn't too concerned with Brady getting the regular season MVP. Maybe this finally qualifies as a quality opponent defeated, huh? The Pats certainly had an easier road to the Super Bowl than some other teams have had, but they had to fight and claw for everything this game.

I have to say this for Goodell -- the speech he gave while presenting the trophy to Kraft was reasonably gracious and well performed

Definitely the greatest game I've ever seen. You just couldn't write shit like this. It'd be too corny. The aging quarterback on the revenge mission who stinks it up for most of the game and then comes roaring back in the fourth quarter? A 28-point comeback? Another ridiculous circus catch? Edelman's scooped-in deflection feels like the Helmet Catch returned with interest (would till rather have had that win though). You have to say this for the Patriots -- they play thrilling Super Bowls.

So true to my word, I will donate to the ACLU and International Rescue Committee tomorrow. Will throw in for Planned Parenthood too. And I will stop bitching about Ballghazi. I apologize in advance for how intolerable this will make some Patriots fans, maybe myself included. I will be gracious about this -- I just cannot believe this happened. I feel fortunate to have seen such things. Robert Kraft was right. This was the sweetest one yet.

I'm a big Brady fan, I guess since Bledsoe got hurt and I rolled my eyes at the gangly guy who replaced him.

However, it should be said that in every SB Brady has won in regulation and OT, that Brady led a game winning drive.  And, in 7 SB's, even the 2 he lost, every time Brady stepped off the field in a SB, his team had the lead.

38 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Definitely the greatest game I've ever seen. You just couldn't write shit like this. It'd be too corny. The aging quarterback on the revenge mission who stinks it up for most of the game and then comes roaring back in the fourth quarter?

Brady is an immortal football god.  He isn't aging at all.  (At the rate he's going, he'll be capable of passing for 4500 yards when he's 50).

This team never ceases to amaze me. I thought XLIX would be the best game I ever watched my team play. Pound for pound it probably was. I felt like they should have won that game and a freak catch was going to snatch another Super Bowl. This game. I honestly didn't think they had a shot after they were down 28-3. Hell they were down by 19 points in the 4th quarter. Think about that. The biggest deficit in a Super Bowl ever was 10 points and they were down by 25 at one point and in the final quarter 19. That was just pure magic and brilliance by a team that stuck their head down in the trenches and refused to go quietly into the night. 

Brady and Belichick stand alone now. They won more than any QB or coach ever, they've been to more than anybody in history, they are the biggest winners in the history of the Super Bowl era and they did it in the most difficult part where you aren't supposed to sustain dominance like this. 

Alot of people probably would have put Brady and Montana as 1A and 1B. Hell some already had Brady ahead of Montana before this. If they even won in some mundane way Brady takes the crown. To do it like THAT? Speechless. That's a crowning achievement. You could tell Brady was emotionally exhausted after that game. Really the only thing left for him to do is to stick around for a few years and add distance between himself and everyone else by going for a 6th ring and maybe taking some of Peyton's records. He's already going to put every playoff and winning record out of reach by a landslide. 

5 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This team never ceases to amaze me. I thought XLIX would be the best game I ever watched my team play. Pound for pound it probably was. I felt like they should have won that game and a freak catch was going to snatch another Super Bowl. This game. I honestly didn't think they had a shot after they were down 28-3. Hell they were down by 19 points in the 4th quarter. Think about that. The biggest deficit in a Super Bowl ever was 10 points and they were down by 25 at one point and in the final quarter 19. That was just pure magic and brilliance by a team that stuck their head down in the trenches and refused to go quietly into the night. 

Brady and Belichick stand alone now. They won more than any QB or coach ever, they've been to more than anybody in history, they are the biggest winners in the history of the Super Bowl era and they did it in the most difficult part where you aren't supposed to sustain dominance like this. 

Alot of people probably would have put Brady and Montana as 1A and 1B. Hell some already had Brady ahead of Montana before this. If they even won in some mundane way Brady takes the crown. To do it like THAT? Speechless. That's a crowning achievement. You could tell Brady was emotionally exhausted after that game. Really the only thing left for him to do is to stick around for a few years and add distance between himself and everyone else by going for a 6th ring and maybe taking some of Peyton's records. He's already going to put every playoff and winning record out of reach by a landslide. 

Perfect.  I listened to Buck and Aikman like it was over, and honestly, I thought it was over.  

I was yelling at the TV when they were calling run plays down 25 in the third quarter.  And I'm a disciple of trust Brady and Belichick. 

But you gotta admit, early to mid 3rd quarter they were playing not to let lose, or at least not to get blown out.

Then again, they won, so maybe it's just me.

38 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

Perfect.  I listened to Buck and Aikman like it was over, and honestly, I thought it was over.  

I was yelling at the TV when they were calling run plays down 25 in the third quarter.  And I'm a disciple of trust Brady and Belichick. 

But you gotta admit, early to mid 3rd quarter they were playing not to let lose, or at least not to get blown out.

Then again, they won, so maybe it's just me.

If you look at the post-game press conferences, either Darth Hoodie or McDaniels (I don't remember which one, but I think it is the latter) addresses this point. He says that some people think that in a situation like that the offense should start running 2 minute drills, but they decided to to just play the game their way (i.e. without abandoning the run) and trust the defense to get some stops and/or takeaways. Also, I think they were trying to tire the Falcon defense out -- or at least that's what ended up happening.

Incidentally, isn't it weird how every single one of the Belichick-Brady Superb Owls was decided by less than a single score -- win or lose? This one sets the record at 6, but only because they went to overtime; the regulation time ended in a tie so it was arguably a closer game (though I suppose that won't help whoever bet a million dollars on the Falcons to either win or lose by less than 3 points).

27 minutes ago, Altherion said:

If you look at the post-game press conferences, either Darth Hoodie or McDaniels (I don't remember which one, but I think it is the latter) addresses this point. He says that some people think that in a situation like that the offense should start running 2 minute drills, but they decided to to just play the game their way (i.e. without abandoning the run) and trust the defense to get some stops and/or takeaways. Also, I think they were trying to tire the Falcon defense out -- or at least that's what ended up happening.

Incidentally, isn't it weird how every single one of the Belichick-Brady Superb Owls was decided by less than a single score -- win or lose? This one sets the record at 6, but only because they went to overtime; the regulation time ended in a tie so it was arguably a closer game (though I suppose that won't help whoever bet a million dollars on the Falcons to either win or lose by less than 3 points).

Yeah, early to mid 3rd quarter I knew better than Belichick, Patricia, and McDaniels.  I was screaming at my brother, but they proved again you shouldn't panic.  

And ive played sports, and watched the Pats, but I'll admit, I was yelling in the 3rd Q "Abandon the rub game"!  They proved me wrong again.  

I'm a big Pats fan, and where I live you take a lot of flak for that.  But they proved you don't let someone dictate to you, sorry, I'm drunk, and that was the greatest game I've ever seen.

Thx for the reply,  brother.

Well that game should have sealed up and ended a lot of discussions about Tom Brady and Belichick.

It was 28-3 mid 3rd quarter and I was pretty much ready to go to bed since that's close to my normal bed time. I will just see what Atlanta does, if they score here I will go to bed. They didn't, but NE did right after. Then again, and again, and again... Had to stay up and root for Brady at that point. Wow, I can just imagine how I would have felt if I had gone to bed and missed that ending. A lot of FB friends were posting crying Brady memes after the first quarter and talking all kinds of smack, even stuff like, eat a snickers Brady, you're playing like a wolverine!... so that got my juices flowing to root for NE.

Now I wouldn't personally say this was a great game, to me it was two great halves, one by each team. Atlanta ruled the first and NE the second, and that is just my opinion.

As to the Brady stuff, how can anyone now doubt where he belongs in NFL history? 5 SB wins and 4 SB MVP's? Largest comeback in SB history, by a long shot no less.

I have truly been spoiled as an NFL fan and didn't even realize it.

As a Cowboys fan during my real NFL viewing life I got to see the end of the 70'-80's Cowboys era, Dorsett 99 yard td. Then the 90's Cowboys domination.

As an NFL fan in general  I got to see Montana and Rice, Barry Sanders, Randy Moss, Tom Brady, John Elway, Dan Marino, Lawrence Taylor,  Derrick Thomas, Reggie White, Peyton Manning, Tony Gonzalez, just to name a few!

That list of names, all of them are in the mix for being the greatest at their position all time! And that's leaving out a lot of players, these were just the ones that came to mind.

What a choke job by Atlanta. 

6 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I have to say this for Goodell -- the speech he gave while presenting the trophy to Kraft was reasonably gracious and well performed

It was pretty funny watching him scurry away afterwards though. 

Couldn't believe what I was seeing in that first half. Whatever Atlanta was dialing up on both sides of the ball, the Pats didn't have an answer for. I thought, "This looks too easy for them. What adjustments are NE gonna make coming out of the half?"

Then the 3rd quarter happened. Therein lies the genius of Belichick and his coaching staff, of grooming players who fit in the system, from training camp thru the playoffs, and then letting their skill shine. Brady kept on calling on Malcolm Mitchell. Malcolm Mitchell. And he answered the call, as did Amendola, White, and Edelman(that fucking catch).

That drive in the 3rd, I think it was 12 or 13 plays and almost six minutes, completely took the talons out of the Falcon's D. Then they started playing like they weren't ahead and kept getting flagged for stupid fouls. 

All in all that was one of, if not the, greatest football game I've watched. The intestinal fortitude that Brady displayed during that comeback was remarkable. A truly consummate pro. As a certain New Yorker who bleeds green, I was not pulling for him. But God damn, that man is the greatest QB who walks the earth. Enjoy that SB Pats fans, that was special.

Archived