NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

3 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Well Blake Bortles then. 

I was thinking AP. He hasn't been particularly amazing even when healthy and is a child beater, and is what, 30 now? Anyone who signs him is not thinking clearly, especially if they spend a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

What, you didn't like the last Browns player the Colts acquired? :D

My father's team just conducted a trade with the Patriots. THE PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is who we are now. But I will not suffer a fool to be acquired even distantly from that dark vortex of talent. I have limits. 

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

I was thinking AP. He hasn't been particularly amazing even when healthy and is a child beater, and is what, 30 now? Anyone who signs him is not thinking clearly, especially if they spend a lot. 

He's like 32. Word is he has no market though. 

45 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If the Colts sign an ex-Brown I will revoke my fanship. 

Well how about the even less successful highly-drafted pass rusher that went from the Browns to the Pats?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/barkevious-mingo-will-sign-one-year-deal-with-colts/

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well how about the even less successful highly-drafted pass rusher that went from the Browns to the Pats?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/09/barkevious-mingo-will-sign-one-year-deal-with-colts/

Mingo!

M-I-N-G-O, M-I-N-G-O, and Mingo is his name-o ... Barkevious!

7 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Looks like there's some hang-up with the Butler for Cooks trade. They are saying the Pats don't have Butler's rights or something?

He hasn't signed his RFA tender yet. Can't do a deal without that. I imagine he wants a long term contract from whoever he ends up with, so maybe he'd need at least the framework of a deal before this can happen.

Word is Butler is pissed so he's probably gone one way or the other. Fucking shame.

Sorry y'all, was playing Rocket League with friends.  After more time to digest, I love the B.O. deal for both sides.  Cleveland has oodles of cap space, and B.O's guaranteed money is essentially gone after this season.  On the extremely likely chance he doesn't work out, they cut him and move on, getting a chance at a quality starter for it with the second rounder.  (It may also guarantee them a top 3 pick next year). Brock is still young, so there is a tiny chance (less than that of a particularly bad snowball in the after life) that he could end up developing.  He has physical tools at least. 

For the Texans, this frees them up for the Romo Hail Mary.  They're not winning a Super Bowl with their current roster or any other free agent pickups.  I don't think a back end of first round QB will carry them.  But if they get Romo for essentially what they were paying for Brock (Romo's contract isn't bad at all once the signing bonus allocation is eaten by the Cowboys), they have a real chance at a deep playoff run if he stays healthy enough to play the post season.  If he doesn't, they have a great mentor for Savage/this year's draft pick.  

14 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Conte rule?

The Chris Conte rule was something that my wife came up with when evaluating a team, which is summed up like this:

If you can identify one player that is so completely shit at their job who still has their job - and the team isn't really trying to replace them - then that entire team's organization is bad from head to toe and they will fail, because it's clear that they can't do their job. This was in reference to an earlier Bears season with Trestman, where I was optimistic about how things were going (they got Cutler back, had Marshall and Jeffrey and good OLine, and Trestman was supposed to be a guru with QBs) and she simply asked: "Is Conte on the team?" 

I replied yes, but

And she cut me off, and said that they were going to suck. 4, 5 wins at best. Because if they think Conte is a good starter, all of their other judgment is questionable. Their offensive ability, their drafting choices, their management, their coaching decisions - all of it is suspect.

And she was precisely right on the money

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

The Chris Conte rule was something that my wife came up with when evaluating a team, which is summed up like this:

If you can identify one player that is so completely shit at their job who still has their job - and the team isn't really trying to replace them - then that entire team's organization is bad from head to toe and they will fail, because it's clear that they can't do their job. This was in reference to an earlier Bears season with Trestman, where I was optimistic about how things were going (they got Cutler back, had Marshall and Jeffrey and good OLine, and Trestman was supposed to be a guru with QBs) and she simply asked: "Is Conte on the team?" 

I replied yes, but

And she cut me off, and said that they were going to suck. 4, 5 wins at best. Because if they think Conte is a good starter, all of their other judgment is questionable. Their offensive ability, their drafting choices, their management, their coaching decisions - all of it is suspect.

And she was precisely right on the money

I have a mild crush on your wife.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I have a mild crush on your wife.

The best part is that before she met me she wasn't a football fan at all, and now she's totally into it and kind of pissed off at me for not watching any more. She's definitely smarter than I am, and because she's not got the background I do she's able to analyze things from a distance and a perspective that most lack.

Hence the Chris Conte rule, which is a great way of evaluating organizations that most people don't think about. 

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Wish this would've happened before the Lynch hire.

Hell, if he was in good with Shanny he could maybe end up there as an assistant GM to Lynch now that he's looking for work. The guy seemed pretty competent at assembling a solid roster in DC. The Niners could use a hand in doing that.

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Hell, if he was in good with Shanny he could maybe end up there as an assistant GM to Lynch now that he's looking for work. The guy seemed pretty competent at assembling a solid roster in DC. The Niners could use a hand in doing that.

He did a good job for us on his first go round as well. Apparently it was his battle with the bottle that ended his tenure in S.F.

Archived