NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

Yeah Nic pretty obvious reasoning for Whitworth. I can't imagine uprooting my family for a couple years to play for a lousy team so I can make more money. You'd think he'd have enough money saved up at his age to prevent him from doing something stupid like joining the Rams.

And the Browns do Browns things and sign Kenny britt to a 32M conract with 17 guaranteed. When I think of Britt I think of torn acl's and underperforming. Seems like a good fit for Cleveland. This apparently means that Pryor is heading elsewhere. Maybe he wasn't willing to re-sogn there (can't blame him), cause I can't believe anyone would want Britt over Pryor. The guy should've transitioned to WR from day 1 in the league. Easy to say that now, of course.

According to Rotoworld, Pats-Saints in talks about a Butler for Cooks trade. Pats are ruthless lol... Guys in their prime just getting kicked out the door. This makes me mad cause the Steelers never have a good CB to boast. Oh, and we also never do shit in FA... that'll make today boring. James Farrior is probably our best FA signing ever. 

ETA: I like the Marshall signing for the Giants. He still has gas in the tank and will be a great compliment with OBJ and Shepard. He had over 100 receptions in '15, and 60 last year. Last year was a bad year for the jets since the Fitzpatrick thing fell on its face. I think that's more of a sign of the Jets being horrible last year opposed to Marshall being over the hill.

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Andrew Whitworth to the Rams 3 yrs 36 million. He's been one of my favorite players for years, and is arguably the 2nd best Bengals Olineman ever after the great Anthony Munoz. I really wanted to see him retire a Bengal. That said, I wouldn't have gave a 35 year old a 3 year deal at that kind of money. Can't say I respect the move either. It's one thing to want to go to a contender, but obviously the money is the only thing important to him. Have fun protecting Jared Goff. :lol:

I'm sure glad to see him go after years of watching him pretty much shut down one side of the Steelers pass rush, and even at 35 he was one of the top LT's in the league last year. You're right though, that's not a deal I'd give to a 35 year old either, despite his level of play last year. The few articles I've seen on him prior to this all had him preferring to stay in Cincy, so maybe they lowballed him on a one year deal? If Zeitler walks, the Bengals better hold on to McCarron because they will probably need two QB's behind that line.

3 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Yeah Nic pretty obvious reasoning for Whitworth. I can't imagine uprooting my family for a couple years to play for a lousy team so I can make more money. You'd think he'd have enough money saved up at his age to prevent him from doing something stupid like joining the Rams.

And the Browns do Browns things and sign Kenny britt to a 32M conract with 17 guaranteed. When I think of Britt I think of torn acl's and underperforming. Seems like a good fit for Cleveland. This apparently means that Pryor is heading elsewhere. Maybe he wasn't willing to re-sogn there (can't blame him), cause I can't believe anyone would want Britt over Pryor. The guy should've transitioned to WR from day 1 in the league. Easy to say that now, of course.

According to Rotoworld, Pats-Saints in talks about a Butler for Cooks trade. Pats are ruthless lol... Guys in their prime just getting kicked out the door. This makes me mad cause the Steelers never have a good CB to boast. Oh, and we also never do shit in FA... that'll make today boring. James Farrior is probably our best FA signing ever. 

Prime example of Moneyball in play here. They both had similar stats last year, and it's safe to assume Pryor was asking for a few million more than this deal. Being frugal like this when you have $103 million in cap space is idiotic. Pryor has way more to offer Hue Jackson's offense as an all-around threat than Britt. Classic Cleveland.

Also saw that the Browns offered "the most money by far" to Tony Jefferson, and he still signed with the Ravens.

26 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Damn. Losing Butler would sting, but I guess I see the business sense. They must really like Cooks, since they were offering the 32nd overall pick for him last week. There seems to be a receiver logjam though... Edelman, Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, and Cooks, with Dwayne Allen and Gronk at TE. If they get him, that's it for Amendola then (thanks for all those game-saving playoff catches), and probably DUI Floyd as well.  Is Cooks a returner?

I should have more practice reconciling myself to watching solid players developed by the Pats getting their second contract somewhere else, but one gets attached to players who save Super Bowls with amazing plays... I'm assuming that means Belichick is confident in Gilmore and Eric Rowe.

53 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The article didn't say McCloughan and Gruden were feuding about Cousins. They were feuding about other things. But the end result is Allen and Gruden get to stay (with the latter getting extended) and McCloghan is being forced out.

And I'm way less optimistic that Cousins re-signs. Every report I've seen says the well has been too poisoned. This team was a couple defensive tweaks away from being a powerhouse...and instead we're going to lose our QB, top two WRs and the GM who assembled a bunch of the talent that made our offense so good. Let's not lose sight of how insane this is. 

Browns gonna Brown... 

Wait, sorry, wrong team. 

27 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Damn. Losing Butler would sting, but I guess I see the business sense. They must really like Cooks, since they were offering the 32nd overall pick for him last week. There seems to be a receiver logjam though... Edelman, Hogan, Malcolm Mitchell, and Cooks, with Dwayne Allen and Gronk at TE. If they get him, that's it for Amendola then (thanks for all those game-saving playoff catches), and probably DUI Floyd as well.  Is Cooks a returner?

I should have more practice reconciling myself to watching solid players developed by the Pats getting their second contract somewhere else, but one gets attached to players who save Super Bowls with amazing plays... I'm assuming that means Belichick is confident in Gilmore and Eric Rowe.

Well, they won a Superb Owl without a first round pick.  Belichick is just trying to leverage lessons learned from last season. 

15 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

Browns gonna Brown... 

Wait, sorry, wrong team. 

I'm so psyched for Tony Romo to win a Superbowl in Denver. 

15 hours ago, Jaime L said:

So @Maithanet, now per WaPo sounds like McCloughan was actually Cousins biggest backer and Allen wasn't. Almost framing it as a McCloughan vs. Allen and Gruden deal. 

Behind Door #1 was McCloughan and Cousins, and Door #2 was Allen and Gruden, and really was their any doubt this shit franchise would opt for Door #2? 

Yikes. Well, you'll always have the comfort of dark humour. 

Ok, so new report says that Cousins went to Snyder to personally appeal for being sent to the Niners, but I guess Snyder's 'bad blood' with Shanahan is top priority, as he was told no dice and since then Washington sources are saying deal's not going to happen.

This is ideal for me personally. If there really is this mutual love affair, I'd much much rather wait and get him for free next year, keep our high picks this one. But if for some reason it must happen this year I'd prefer for Snyder to keep torpedoing his own situation, as everyone commenting on the situation seems to feel that the longer this goes on the more the price lowers.

Maybe Snyder's a secret genius and he sees something no one else does, but otherwise it seems like he's playing hardball while the Niners hold all the cards including time. With Cousins reaching out in person and Snyder rebuffing him, I think the odds that Cousins leverages the tender go up %400 or w/e.

44 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Yeah surely someone would be on the out if Cooks were to come through. Floyd and Amendola seem the most expendable as you mentioned. Cooks has a lot of diversity to his game. I think Belichik and McD will have fun coming up with different ways to use him. And he had very minimal return opportunities with NO.

26 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Actually, Jaime/Maith/MJS et al, do you guys know if Snyder's vendetta with Shanahan is really a thing, and if so what it's about? 

Actually can't recall exactly why. I knew he and the Shanahans parted way on bad terms but outside of disagreements over drafting RG3, forget why it got so toxic. As a Redskins fan, all the dysfunction, conspiracy theories and backstabbing kinda run together after awhile. 

45 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I'm so psyched for Tony Romo to win a Superbowl in Denver. 

As long as he's playing anybody but us, I'd agree.  That wasn't so much a shot at the Redskins as an organization as it was a shot at the two individuals that are seemingly destroying a quality team. 

I haven't sourced this, but a poster on rotoworld just posted that someone was reporting that Glennon's deal with Chicago is 3 years, $45M with $19M guaranteed. Looks like it's essentially a one year deal.  Given that the Bears weren't competing for a Super Bowl this year, I actually like the deal for them.  Glennon has more upside long term than Hoyer.  

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Actually, Jaime/Maith/MJS et al, do you guys know if Snyder's vendetta with Shanahan is really a thing, and if so what it's about? 

The whole thing went south in a big way.  Shanahan has said that the RG3 deal was all Allen/Snyder, and he was just going along with it.  I think that is bullshit.  Then when things went south after the 2012 season, Griffin held a private meeting with the Shanahans where he basically said that they way they were running the team was unacceptable, and they needed to do more to protect him and allow him to grow into a pocket passer.  The Shanahans were furious that one of their players was dictating terms to them.  But Snyder had Griffin's back.  So they just started sniping at both Snyder and Griffin more or less constantly until they were both fired the following offseason.  There were months of "anonymous reports" of Snyder acting like an ass or Griffin being hard to work with, and everybody knew it was the Shanahans, they weren't exactly subtle. 

Nonetheless, I place the majority of the blame for the entire Griffin fiasco on Mike Shanahan.  Sure, Snyder (and the media) enabled RG3, and that made it worse.  Griffin's personality was in some ways 100% team and in other ways 100% Robert.  But more than ANYTHING, the complete ineptitude of Shanahan's decision to put Griffin back in in that playoff game vs Seattle is totally inexcusable.  That Shanahan then had the temerity to say it was Griffin's decision or the doctors decision (he's said both) is just complete horseshit.  I will never forgive him for that. 

I don't know too much about Kyle's role specifically in all the drama, it could have been all Mike or both of them 100%.  I'm sure it wasn't all Kyle. 

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

The article didn't say McCloughan and Gruden were feuding about Cousins. They were feuding about other things. But the end result is Allen and Gruden get to stay (with the latter getting extended) and McCloghan is being forced out.

And I'm way less optimistic that Cousins re-signs. Every report I've seen says the well has been too poisoned. This team was a couple defensive tweaks away from being a powerhouse...and instead we're going to lose our QB, top two WRs and the GM who assembled a bunch of the talent that made our offense so good. Let's not lose sight of how insane this is. 

It's still not comparable to the 49er's collapse. Actually, I'm not sure that I've ever seen anything that is.....

27 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

/Obligatory

Lolz.

Also, it appears the Racial Slurs have set a new "record":

If Cousins were to remain with the Redskins, he likely would have to find new targets for the passing game. DeSean Jackson (Buccaneers) and Pierre Garcon (49ers) are both expected to leave the Redskins in free agency. It would mark the first time in NFL history that a team would lose two 1,000-yard receivers from the previous season, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18863192/kirk-cousins-requesting-trade-washington-redskins

On 3/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, Rhom said:

Schefter just reported that the Cowboys will release Romo on Thursday. 

I guess they are just doing that as a favor to him, but it sure seems like they could have gotten something for him.

Looks like this has changed...

Despite the two teams (Texans and Broncos) stating they aren't looking to give up anything to land Romo. Mike Silver on the NFL Network just said Sean Spicer must be putting out the Romo announcements due to how much they've changed in the last 24 hours :lmao:.

Archived