NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

59 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

I really am not sure how I completely missed that, I guess getting up at 3:30 this morning has slowed my comprehension to a snail's crawl...

John Clayton's QB rankings from the 2012 season

There's some real gems on that list that would look great under center in a Skins uniform in 2017. If Manning won't come out of retirement, there's always Jake Locker to fall back on.

Kevin Kolb. There's a name. (Also - Matt Schaub was strangely located in the top 10...)

On 3/3/2017 at 2:15 PM, Tywin et al. said:

No is the answer. Cousins is in the group of QBs that reflect what's around them. In a good situation he'll look good, in an average one he'll look average and in a bad one he'll look bad. He's like a slightly better version of Andy Dalton.

I disagree he's better than Dalton. This year AD was playing behind one of the worst olines in the league, and possibly the worst RT. That he put up respectable numbers at all was a miracle. Dalton best year rating wise 106.3>Cousins 101.6. Dalton's high of 33 TD's>Cousins 29. Cousins wins in most yards in a season with 4917>Dalton's 4293, and Cousins also turns the ball over less, but Dalton has took his team to 5 straight playoffs berths. That's pretty damn impressive. 

ESPN is getting ready to lay off a bunch of on-air "talent", and I'm wondering if the viewing audience has finally gotten smart enough that ex-athletes no longer need to be employed as analysts. I've been watching the combien, and it's just painful how stupid Deion Sanders is. And it's the same for all of these former athletes employed by the networks. It's good to have at least one or two former pros available who can speak to things like the actual experience of playing and the locker room adn things like that, but in terms of analysis it's painful.

Just read an article stating that Mike Glennon is probably going to get a contract averaging at least $14 million a year, which is wild considering he's thrown just 11 passes over the last two seasons. Can't wait to shake my head at some of the deals coming this week.

7 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Just read an article stating that Mike Glennon is probably going to get a contract averaging at least $14 million a year, which is wild considering he's thrown just 11 passes over the last two seasons. Can't wait to shake my head at some of the deals coming this week.

That's a great contract. If they can get him locked up at a bargain price for a starting QB, he becomes super valuable trade material.

23 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Depends on how much of it is guaranteed.  If a team can drop him at the end of 2017's season with no/little consequence, it's not that bad.

19 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

Even funnier, I saw a report that he's going to turn it down and test free agency, because he wants to be a starter.

The Bucs offer was believed to be for around $8 million to remain as Winstons' backup. The article I mentioned was that some team will offer him at least $14 million to be a starter in free agency. I should've clarified that earlier. I can't blame him for turning it down if teams are really considering him for a starting spot. Niners, Jets, and Bears are mentioned as the three most interested.

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

Depends on how much of it is guaranteed.  If a team can drop him at the end of 2017's season with no/little consequence, it's not that bad.

Yeah it'll depend on how the contract is set up, a quick exit for a team makes sense if he fails miserably. It just reminds me of the hype Osweiler got last year. We all know how that worked out.

13 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

The Bucs offer was believed to be for around $8 million to remain as Winstons' backup. The article I mentioned was that some team will offer him at least $14 million to be a starter in free agency. I should've clarified that earlier. I can't blame him for turning it down if teams are really considering him for a starting spot. Niners, Jets, and Bears are mentioned as the three most interested.

Yeah it'll depend on how the contract is set up, a quick exit for a team makes sense if he fails miserably. It just reminds me of the hype Osweiler got last year. We all know how that worked out.

Osweiler wouldn't be all that bad if the Texans were able to pursue another option this year though.  It would be a wasted year, but that's no different than having Tom Savage as your starting QB anyway. Because they're on the hook for Osweiler now, they can't pursue another option without getting them to take a big paycut.  With a little finagling, I think they could make a 10million per year contract work (with 2017 cash received being almost pure bonus and only enough salary to clear veteran minimum), but no quality QB option is really going to take outside of maybe Romo desperate to try and win the big one with a contender.

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I disagree he's better than Dalton. This year AD was playing behind one of the worst olines in the league, and possibly the worst RT. That he put up respectable numbers at all was a miracle.

But that's kind of my larger point, he reflects what's around him. Two seasons ago the Bengals had a lot of talent on offense and Dalton looked really good. Last year there was a huge drop off in talent plus a number of injuries and he looked very average at best. 

As for who is better, let's just poll the thread. People, who you taking, Cousins or Dalton?

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But that's kind of my larger point, he reflects what's around him. Two seasons ago the Bengals had a lot of talent on offense and Dalton looked really good. Last year there was a huge drop off in talent plus a number of injuries and he looked very average at best. 

As for who is better, let's just poll the thread. People, who you taking, Cousins or Dalton?

Cousins, I suppose. That ginger fuck looks terrified any time a yellow jersey is opposite him.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

Not sold on Dalton, Cousins, or Dak. It's not hard to look good when you are surrounded by great lines and outrageous skill position talent.

Trevor Knight is a solid 1st round pick though, right? Lol. I could not resist. He did have the fastest 40.of the QBS though.

Serious question Sperry, you think Mixon gets drafted or at least gets a chance? I think he has the talent for sure.

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Trevor Knight is a solid 1st round pick though, right? Lol. I could not resist. He did have the fastest 40.of the QBS though.

Serious question Sperry, you think Mixon gets drafted or at least gets a chance? I think he has the talent for sure.

Trevor Knight should move to receiver. He's not even close to an NFL quarterback, but he is an NFL level athlete.

Mixon is the best running back in this draft by a comfortable margin. There's too much talent there for somebody to not draft him, and at some point it becomes a game of chicken. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belichick take him in the first round. I don't think other teams would be surprised for that to happen either, which puts teams like the Lions and Redskins in play.

Ultimately, I don't think he's likely to fuck up again, so as long as the team that drafts him is willing to take the initial PR hit, there's not really any risk.

19 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

Ahhh...  Got it.  That makes more sense.

17 minutes ago, sperry said:

Trevor Knight should move to receiver. He's not even close to an NFL quarterback, but he is an NFL level athlete.

Mixon is the best running back in this draft by a comfortable margin. There's too much talent there for somebody to not draft him, and at some point it becomes a game of chicken. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belichick take him in the first round. I don't think other teams would be surprised for that to happen either, which puts teams like the Lions and Redskins in play.

Ultimately, I don't think he's likely to fuck up again, so as long as the team that drafts him is willing to take the initial PR hit, there's not really any risk.

He's not close to a college QB.  He was a runner who took the snap and occasionally got lucky on some deep heaves. 

If he's willing to move to receiver, I like him as an Edelman-esque project pick. He's got outstanding character and work ethic (what I'd really look for in a athletic position conversion project), and the physical makeup to be a solid possession receiver at worst.  The Patriots will probably take him in the damn 7th and end up with Edelman + 3 inches and 20 pounds. 

Archived