NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Dude has won two Super Bowls and is a better QB than he was when he won them. They'll be fine.

It's also the fact that Marshall is going to be the #3 receiver on that team. Is he going to be okay catching 3 passes per game?

He had 2 good runs with great defenses and some incredible luck.  While he puts up volume, he was arguably a worse QB than Kaepernick or Alex Smith this past year, and that's with having an all-world receiver to throw to. I know people don't put as much stock as I do in PFF's objective ratings, but they had him worse than Blake Bortles of all people. Even if you think Bortles is worse (I do), it's pretty damning playing at a level where you can be compared to him. 

The Brandon Marshall signing is kind of scary for the rest of the division but it's also kind of risky. EVERYWHERE he has played he's wrecked havoc on the locker room. Brandon Marshall is still an elite receiver and I have no doubt he still views himself as such. He WILL complain if he's not getting his catches and the team already has another high strung receiver. Though it very well may turn out well for this season because he is usually on his best behavior in year 1. It's been year 2 that his true colors come out. That's what happened in his last 2 stops: Chicago and New York.

43 minutes ago, Week said:

They had 3 receivers on the field almost 90% of snaps last year and I've never heard anyone refer to the second flanker as a "3rd WR".

Assuming health, he'll have the second-most targets on the team.

Targets last year (note - Cruz having 3rd is a reflection of skill and not role):

OBJ: 162
SShep: 105
Cruz: 72

Consider the Packers:

Nelson (wr1): 152
Adams (wr2): 121
Cobb (slot): 84

Shepard is going to get more targets than Marshall. He's younger, faster, plays a more important position in the offense and has better hands. IF you want to say Marshall gets 100 targets and 65 catches, fine. He's going to be the #3 guy on that team. I don't think he's going to be okay with that.

27 minutes ago, JonSnow4President said:

He had 2 good runs with great defenses and some incredible luck.  While he puts up volume, he was arguably a worse QB than Kaepernick or Alex Smith this past year, and that's with having an all-world receiver to throw to. I know people don't put as much stock as I do in PFF's objective ratings, but they had him worse than Blake Bortles of all people. Even if you think Bortles is worse (I do), it's pretty damning playing at a level where you can be compared to him. 

He has already been good enough to win Super Bowls twice!  He isn't a worse player than he was when he won those Super Bowls. He has better talent around him now.  They can absolutely win a Super Bowl with Eli.

41 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

It would be so much better if they were flying economy. I would pay money to observe Harbaugh Armrest Etiquette.

edit: actually, thinking of his wardrobe choices, economy's not out of the question. Pleasepleaseplesseplease tell me it's economy.

I'm fairly certain she's flying economy.

I have access to two Twitter accounts... one is my office.  The other is the Anasurimbor Kellhus account used in the Bakker threads here... so I'm loading the picture to that so I can share it here.  Waiting to hear back on what has made the trip so eventful.

Just now, James Arryn said:

He's got a resting dick-face, no?

Definitely.

As a Niners fan, I obviously love the guy... but I also recognize that only the fact that he lost a power struggle with a bigger douche makes him quite so lovable.  If he had coached any other team in the NFL, I know I'd hate him just as much as those fans.  :lol: 

Yeah, totally agree. His need to make everything into a competition and win it was shades of Jordan dickness, but he's a great coach and I still can't believe what we did. I will say that anything involving his family, you'd see a much better side of him, but even then, I always remember thinking that John seemed so much more sane.

Oh, Niners also apparently about to sign Juszczyk and, though there are conflicting reports, LaCanfora says they're going hard after a Jeffrey or Pryor type. 

On the downside, another report says that Hoyer doesn't necessarily rule out Cousins move, though you'd think the Epithets would have lost the little leverage they had.

Cowboys are set to lose starting strong safety Barry Church who has been offered a 4 year, $24 million dollar contract from Jacksonville. They have 4 members of their secondary that are all UFA's and I thought he was the one guy they would re-sign but that $6 million a year might've been more than could offer. I think this means they have to re-sign either Brandon Carr or Morris Claiborne at corner or risk having two gaping holes in the secondary. Signing one of them would allow them to draft a safety in the first 3 rounds and let him compete with Jeff Heath at SS. Heath is a great special teamer and good in spot action (like his playoff game) but he's not a long term solution.

1 hour ago, JonSnow4President said:

Just got this on my phone: 49ers agree to multi-year offer with QB Brian Hoyer.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Relieved. Also Marquise Goodwin and apparently pretty close with Garçon. 

Even if it prevents a boneheaded trade that could set your favorite team back a decade, nobody should ever say they're relieved that said favorite team is bringing in Brian Hoyer to compete for the starting QB gig. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I'm fairly certain she's flying economy.

I have access to two Twitter accounts... one is my office.  The other is the Anasurimbor Kellhus account used in the Bakker threads here... so I'm loading the picture to that so I can share it here.  Waiting to hear back on what has made the trip so eventful.

That's hilarious.

There is something inherently wrong with people who never take their coats off.

The airplane print skirt on the disenheaded body is also a quality touch.

I have some more basic information.  Apparently he was loudly talking on his phone through the entire takeoff process and displayed just a general disregard for any and all airplane etiquette.

Totally believable.  :lol: 

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I have some more basic information.  Apparently he was loudly talking on his phone through the entire takeoff process and displayed just a general disregard for any and all airplane etiquette.

Totally believable.  :lol: 

Ugh, I hate that. So annoying and unnecessary. Makes you want to tap them on the shoulder and ask if it's a long-distance call. 

Archived