NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

Schefter just reported that the Cowboys will release Romo on Thursday. 

I guess they are just doing that as a favor to him, but it sure seems like they could have gotten something for him.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I guess they are just doing that as a favor to him, but it sure seems like they could have gotten something for him.

He's largely a dink, but JJ does have the personality to make these kinds of moves on behalf of a guy's best interests.

2 hours ago, JonSnow4President said:

I think Marshall has enough of a history to show he's only a locker room cancer on losing teams. He's behaved himself in times when his teams have had success.  However, a career on the Dolphins, Bears, and Jets does not make you a winner that often. The man hates losing, and doesn't tolerate other people who aren't fighting for the team and have just given up.  While I think the Giants have a huge glaring weakness that will prevent them from being a Super Bowl team (it rhymes with Schmeli), they're one of the better teams in the NFC. I think the Giants also have a locker room capable of weathering any storms if I'm wrong on that assessment. 

Dude has won two Super Bowls and is a better QB than he was when he won them. They'll be fine.

It's also the fact that Marshall is going to be the #3 receiver on that team. Is he going to be okay catching 3 passes per game?

9 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I read somewhere that releasing him frees up a lot more cap space than if they traded him, so clearly they prefer signing free agents to acquiring draft picks.

Also, sounds like the Racial Slur's GM is getting canned. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, sounds like the Racial Slur's GM is getting canned. 

This morning on Mike and Mike they were talking about him being AWOL and the only word out of Washington was that he was dealing with the death of his grandmother... who died February 6th.

Its all rather bizarre.  McCloughan has a reputation as a heavy drinker, but he would have to be on one helluva bender to miss the combine and the start of free agency.

McCloughan is just hanging out in public all in Skins gear everyday. Seems he in turn is actively trolling the team. And good for him. 

It's beyond insane the Skins are trying to get him to resign considering he's been the best GM we've had since Bobby Beathard. Even if he has started drinking again, completely sloshed he'd still be the best GM we've had since Bobby Beathard. 

And I think it's way more likely this was a Harbaugh/Baakle power struggle between him and Allen and he lost. I mean why keep the guy with actual talent? Jed York will tell you that. 

22 minutes ago, sperry said:

It's also the fact that Marshall is going to be the #3 receiver on that team. Is he going to be okay catching 3 passes per game?

#2. He had 59 catches last year and should easily eclipse that. Push Sterling Shepard to the Victor Cruz role, steal some catches from OBJ, and the running backs - I don't see an issue.

I don't think he would be ok with the scenario you are mapping out - however, the scenario that you made up isn't supported by ... anything really.

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

McCloughan is just hanging out in public all in Skins gear everyday. Seems he in turn is actively trolling the team. And good for him. 

It's beyond insane the Skins are trying to get him to resign considering he's been the best GM we've had since Bobby Beathard. Even if he has started drinking again, completely sloshed he'd still be the best GM we've had since Bobby Beathard. 

And I think it's way more likely this was a Harbaugh/Baakle power struggle between him and Allen and he lost. I mean why keep the guy with actual talent? Jed York will tell you that. 

Part of me's almost proud, like we've franchised Insane Front Office Dynamics Inc.

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Part of me's almost proud, like we've franchised Insane Front Office Dynamics Inc.

There's something almost incestuous and bizarre that we have their old offenxive coordinator and are trying to get all their players too...

29 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I seriously doubt any team would have given anything other than a 7th round pick. His salary is too large, he'll be 37 next month, and he's been fragile the last 4 years. As James Arryn stated above, for all Jerry's faults he's gonna try to do right by Tony Romo which is releasing him so Tony can go where he wants. That said, it's been rumored that there is a handshake agreement that Romo will not go to a division team. It seems from the grapevine that he'll follow DeMarcus Ware's lead: be released by the Cowboys and then immediately sign with the Broncos. I figured it would be between Denver and Houston.

I feel a little sad that Romo is leaving, he was a very good quarterback for a decade with Dallas. But it's time. This is now Dak Prescott's team. I'll be rooting for Romo every game next season...except for the BLOCKBUSTER game next season vs Dallas. That will be either a SNF or Thanksgiving game. 

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Keep in mind that nobody knows much at this point.  With that caviat, I actually wonder if this Allen/McCloughin struggle was actually over whether to give Cousins a long term deal.  Because Allen and Gruden has been pretty candid about wanting Cousins long term.  Both made statements to that effect during the season and pretty consistently this offseason.  The one who hasn't publicly expressed that opinion was McCloughin.  Now, he doesn't talk to the press nearly as much as those other guys, but he's always been comparatively stingy about Cousins, with statements like this during last year's offseason

"I want Kirk in a long-term deal, no doubt about it, but also I’m not gonna put our franchise in a situation where we’re gonna lose three or four younger guys that I think are gonna be good football players for one guy. I won’t do it. You know, that’s just how it is." 

To me, that sounds like McCloughin thinks Cousins is totally replaceable. 

And remember that Cousin's seemingly confrontational "how you like me now?" comment was aimed to McCloughin, not Gruden or Allen or Snyder.

Just a theory.  I'm trying to come up with a reason why the seemingly no-brainer decision of signing Cousins long term is getting held up, and why that is happening at the same time as this Allen-McCloughin showdown.  I think this mostly fits that, and could also explain why it is Allen and not McCloughin who seems to be coming out on top (becuase Snyder and Gruden also want Cousins back, and are willing to spend the cap money to do so). 

18 minutes ago, Week said:

#2. He had 59 catches last year and should easily eclipse that. Push Sterling Shepard to the Victor Cruz role, steal some catches from OBJ, and the running backs - I don't see an issue.

I don't think he would be ok with the scenario you are mapping out - however, the scenario that you made up isn't supported by ... anything really.

Shepard plays inside, Marshall plays out. He's the #2 outside guy to OBJ, Shepard is the #1 inside guy. Marshall is going to be in the Cruz role, which is essentially the #3 receiver.

My wife is on a flight from Detroit to Philly today and I just got this text from her:

"Holy shit!  I got a Harbaugh on my flight!  Sitting right across from me!  He has been a total douchebag the whole flight!"

The picture she sent sure looks like Jim...  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

My wife is on a flight from Detroit to Philly today and I just got this text from her:

"Holy shit!  I got a Harbaugh on my flight!  Sitting right across from me!  He has been a total douchebag the whole flight!"

Was he complaining about a lack of milk?

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Shepard plays inside, Marshall plays out. He's the #2 outside guy to OBJ, Shepard is the #1 inside guy. Marshall is going to be in the Cruz role, which is essentially the #3 receiver.

They had 3 receivers on the field almost 90% of snaps last year and I've never heard anyone refer to the second flanker as a "3rd WR".

Assuming health, he'll have the second-most targets on the team.

Targets last year (note - Cruz having 3rd is a reflection of skill and not role):

OBJ: 162
SShep: 105
Cruz: 72

Consider the Packers:

Nelson (wr1): 152
Adams (wr2): 121
Cobb (slot): 84

10 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That's awesome! Ask her what he's doing. How is he being a douche? I want the lowdown.

2 minutes ago, Week said:

They had 3 receivers on the field almost 90% of snaps last year and I've never heard anyone refer to the second flanker as a "3rd WR".

Assuming health, he'll have the second-most targets on the team.

Targets last year (note - Cruz having 3rd is a reflection of skill and not role):

OBJ: 162
SShep: 105
Cruz: 72

Consider the Packers:

Nelson (wr1): 152
Adams (wr2): 121
Cobb (slot): 84

Flanker, by God. Like Raymond Berry?

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's awesome! Ask her what he's doing. How is he being a douche? I want the lowdown.

It would be so much better if they were flying economy. I would pay money to observe Harbaugh Armrest Etiquette.

edit: actually, thinking of his wardrobe choices, economy's not out of the question. Pleasepleaseplesseplease tell me it's economy.

Archived