NFL Offseason: your team's opportunity to overpay for mediocrity

DanteGabriel

1 hour ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

So, Jerry Jones said he'said had no talks about moving Romo. Seriously, it's hard for me to see him trading him to the Skins. I just wish the Skins would go ahead and pay Cousins the money he deserves and we have a decent QB for 4-5 years. And, focus on resigning Jackson and Garcon and a depleted defense. We are a few good Defensive players away from being legit. I seen in a mock draft that we might take Darvin Cook and I would love that. Then use the rest of the picks on D. I don't want Romo, I know that. I think he might have a few years left, but we already did this with McNabb. 

I like Cook, but he had a scary bad combine. 

3 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I like Cook, but he had a scary bad combine. 

Dalvin Cook fumbles a lot.  And he has a huge sample of work, so this isn't just a couple of fluky plays we're talking about.  Guys with fumbling problems in college tend to have fumbling problems as a pro.  That is a big downside to me, I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him, in spite of his other (great) attributes. 

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Dalvin Cook fumbles a lot.  And he has a huge sample of work, so this isn't just a couple of fluky plays we're talking about.  Guys with fumbling problems in college tend to have fumbling problems as a pro.  That is a big downside to me, I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him, in spite of his other (great) attributes. 

Nah, aside from straight line speed he was near the bottom in like everything, agility, explosion, etc. Maybe the most disappointing combine I can remember in a while. Maybe a bug or w/e, wait for his pro day, but a lot of air went out of his balloon. People, like top NFL people had started talking about him being the best back in the draft, and I was buying it. :(

4 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Nah, aside from straight line speed he was near the bottom in like everything, agility, explosion, etc. Maybe the most disappointing combine I can remember in a while. Maybe a bug or w/e, wait for his pro day, but a lot of air went out of his balloon. People, like top NFL people had started talking about him being the best back in the draft, and I was buying it. :(

Dalvin Cook has been a productive running back for Florida State for 3 years.  The tape tells the tale.  I'm very skeptical that his performance in the underwear olympics is going to matter much for him.  For guys as established as him, the most important part of the combine is the interview anyway, to make sure he's a good fit personality-wise. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

Dalvin Cook has been a productive running back for Florida State for 3 years.  The tape tells the tale.  I'm very skeptical that his performance in the underwear olympics is going to matter much for him.  For guys as established as him, the most important part of the combine is the interview anyway, to make sure he's a good fit personality-wise. 

Yeah, maybe. Partly it's just so shocking, because on film he really jumps out athletically. I think if he doesn't significantly improve at FSU PD he'll drop from high/mi'd 1st to 2nd day guy. Might be a mistake, but the instances of guys with those kind of measurable a going on day 1 are pretty scarce. 

What is going to be interesting is that Joe Mixon is the best running back in this draft. He knocked a woman out at a bar 2 1/2 years ago, but he is not a likely repeat offender. That means teams will have to deal with an initial PR hit for drafting him, but he's not likely to mess up and get suspended going forward. It will be interesting to see who pulls the trigger on him, and there's the opportunity for somebody like the Patriots to get a top of the draft player at a slot where a guy like that would normally never be available.

6 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, maybe. Partly it's just so shocking, because on film he really jumps out athletically. I think if he doesn't significantly improve at FSU PD he'll drop from high/mi'd 1st to 2nd day guy. Might be a mistake, but the instances of guys with those kind of measurable a going on day 1 are pretty scarce. 

His numbers are pretty meh, but they're still comparable to LeSean McCoy, so it's not like guys with those numbers can't succeed in the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

His numbers are pretty meh, but they're still comparable to LeSean McCoy, so it's not like guys with those numbers can't succeed in the NFL. 

Eh, as disappointing as Shady was...and remember it did drop him out of the 1st...I'd still say he was much better. Ran a 4.18 20 shuttle and a 6.82 3 cone. Cook was at 4.53 and 7.27 respectively, and these are considered very important for running backs.

11 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Eh, as disappointing as Shady was...and remember it did drop him out of the 1st...

But don't you think Shady demonstrated that such reliance on combine numbers rather than game tape is foolish?  Because Cook has more game tape than McCoy and (fumbling problem aside), it is even better.

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But don't you think Shady demonstrated that such reliance on combine numbers rather than game tape is foolish?  Because Cook has more game tape than McCoy and (fumbling problem aside), it is even better.

Shady's old school numbers were meh, but his secondary numbers were pretty good, like in the 70/80 percentiles. Whereas Cook's were, not kidding, ~ 7th percentile. And those secondary numbers are being given increasing weight, and are often pointed to for rb's who outperform their ht/wt/40 numbers. Again, though...his numbers are SO bad I kinda have to assume something was amiss.

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Don't know why, but I always love watching the combine. Garrett's performance was incredible, even though I think interior linemen have higher positional value, Garrett is enough of a freak that I'd take him #1 overall if I don't believe in the QBs.  Speaking of which, both QBs had great measurements. Trubisky is physically very similar to Aaron Rodgers.

I am with you, I watch it way more than I should. Hell I re watched some of it just to see the foot work as if I know what I am looking for!

54 minutes ago, sperry said:

What is going to be interesting is that Joe Mixon is the best running back in this draft. He knocked a woman out at a bar 2 1/2 years ago, but he is not a likely repeat offender. That means teams will have to deal with an initial PR hit for drafting him, but he's not likely to mess up and get suspended going forward. It will be interesting to see who pulls the trigger on him, and there's the opportunity for somebody like the Patriots to get a top of the draft player at a slot where a guy like that would normally never be available.

There is a lot of talk here in Detroit area of them picking him. They need a RB badly and he fits the bill. The GM actually gave an interview criticizing the NFL for not inviting Mixon to the combine.  Personally I understand why the NFL didn't invite him and a few others, but they still allow them to get drafted? It's like a basic PR move that doesn't accomplish much. His pro day will be telling, to see how many teams are there and interview him. I would be shocked if he is still there in round 3.

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Maybe we could bring in Colin Kaepernick and RG3 too!  We'll have the best quarterbacks that 2012 can offer!

Have either of the McCown brothers played for the 'Skins? If not, one will need to be signed immediately.

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Have either of the McCown brothers played for the 'Skins? If not, one will need to be signed immediately.

Were the McCown brothers good in 2012?  Because if not, I'm not really sure where you are coming from.  This is a results business, we can't afford to sign players that don't have a proven track record.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Were the McCown brothers good in 2012?  Because if not, I'm not really sure where you are coming from.  This is a results business, we can't afford to sign players that don't have a proven track record.

Just a joke. When a team's QB situation looks bleak the 'Skins would if they get rid of Cousins, it seems like a McCown somehow always finds their way onto that teams' roster.

Gonna get killed for saying this, but given who he had to play with, Kaepernick wasn't actually that awful last season. Most games he played he was the best player we had on O, granted that's a very low bar. 

Doesn't fit Shanahan's offence, and I think he's always going to have spotty accuracy, but with a different kind of system I think he's worth a look. The whole anthem thing probably torpedoes a lot of that, though.

11 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Just a joke. When a team's QB situation looks bleak the 'Skins would if they get rid of Cousins, it seems like a McCown somehow always finds their way onto that teams' roster.

And I was just building on your joke.  Hence my concern about how good they were in 2012. 

If only we could coax Peyton Manning out of retirement, we'll have the best qb in the league...

13 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Gonna get killed for saying this, but given who he had to play with, Kaepernick wasn't actually that awful last season. Most games he played he was the best player we had on O, granted that's a very low bar. 

Doesn't fit Shanahan's offence, and I think he's always going to have spotty accuracy, but with a different kind of system I think he's worth a look. The whole anthem thing probably torpedoes a lot of that, though.

When he actually threw the ball, he didn't strike me as that bad.  However, he really seemed to struggle with RG3-itis:  Not being able to see wide open receivers. 

9 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And I was just building on your joke.  Hence my concern about how good they were in 2012. 

If only we could coax Peyton Manning out of retirement, we'll have the best qb in the league...

I really am not sure how I completely missed that, I guess getting up at 3:30 this morning has slowed my comprehension to a snail's crawl...

John Clayton's QB rankings from the 2012 season

There's some real gems on that list that would look great under center in a Skins uniform in 2017. If Manning won't come out of retirement, there's always Jake Locker to fall back on.

Archived