Bakker XLIX - From Bashrags to Riches (No TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

So why do chorae kill them?

I believe there's a text describing something like 'such was the force that possessed them' to explain why a sorcerer is destroyed by chorae/gets turned to salt. Casting magic  makes you a creature of magic - which makes you vulnerable to being dispelled as much as your magic is dispelled. Sorcerers leave salt because intellect considers, and so they don't become an entire creature of magic (much like Cnaiur could never be 'of the people', because he thought about being of the people, instead of simply being that passion). The part that isn't creature of magic remains behind on dispelling. Cish turn into flashes of light because they are the passion - proper creatures of magic.

Actually what if the last cishurim isn't absolutely described as dead, because if you chorae him, the flash is...like a nuclear explosion? Kellhus is keeping him for one last task. Such water...

21 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Fair enough.  I'll concede that sufficient evidence from the text has been presented to say, at the least, that we don't know whether or not the use of the psukhe damns you; and moreover, that you could certainly argue that it does not.  

We don't know whether or not it damns, but as far as I can tell damnation has little to do with what you do and more to do with messing around with others in various ways. I would suspect that simply use of the Psukhe doesn't damn you any more than using words damns you, but killing other people probably does, so if you're using it to kill armies you're gonna have a bad time in hell. Meppa is certainly expecting to have to deal with the Outside, and Psatma expects him there as well. 

A more interesting question is whether or not Emilidis' work made him marked or not, given that his things don't stop when they're hit by chorae and appear to be maximally objective.

So if the US print version is definitively pushed back, and it looks like it is since the dates match, does that carry over to the e-version? I've seen from past posts that Overlook pulled something like this in the past volumes so what was the experience then? 

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I wonder why the delay. Probably printing shenanigans.

Just had an e-mail from Overlook responding to my query about the release date.

They confirmed there was another delay and the US release date is now the 25th. They have amended it on their website as well.

As for why, it's an Overlook thing. You typically do not see these last minute delays with major publishers.

The fact that they've now done it 4 times in a row very clearly suggests they don't have their shit in order. Could well be related to printing yeah.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Just had an e-mail from Overlook responding to my query about the release date.

They confirmed there was another delay and the US release date is now the 25th. They have amended it on their website as well.

As for why, it's an Overlook thing. You typically do not see these last minute delays with major publishers.

The fact that they've now done it 4 times in a row very clearly suggests they don't have their shit in order. Could well be related to printing yeah.

It's obvious, Overlook has been too busy promoting Bakker's books... :rolleyes:

[To be clear, this is meant sarcastically.]

And now the Kindle version has updated to 25 for me... FFS!

eta: when was the UK release again? Because according to the Google Play store books section the ebook comes out on Jully 6th by Hachette UK. I'll definitely get that if the date doesn't change.

10 minutes ago, WalterX said:

Book is in stores in Glaston and London, apparently.  Folks scrambling.

That's awesome, and holy fuck what a fuckup of release in general. 

Overlook is so seriously bad. Hopefully Orbit can buy out their stake and publish everywhere, assuming they want to do that. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

The same thing happened last year and physical copies ended up showing up in B&N weeks before the actual date, so, who the hell knows. *shrug*

Two members from TSA forum have purchased their TUC copies at stores in the UK today.

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Re-reading it. But it's slow going. I'm a little more than halfway thru Towers.

Gotcha, I've always felt every fantasy reader's first book should be LotR. I think it loses its awe if you have to read it after reading works it's influenced. 

Archived