U.S. Politics: Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey, Comey Chameleon

6 minutes ago, Swordfish said:

In what way(s), specifically, is Joe Lieberman 'i hate this country' level terrible?

Because its representative of everything that is going wrong with this country. He's an old politician with clear political preferences and financial ties to Donald Trump. The position of the FBI director is supposed to be non political and it should come from the ranks of law enforcement like it always has. It should not be someone who works for Donald Trumps fucking law firm. How can anyone ever assume he's independent?

As long as Lieberman didn't personally work on any Trump matters while at Kasowitz, I don't think his working at Kasowitz should disqualify him.  He may be disqualified for other reasons, such as lack of law enforcement experience though.    

Mueller's former firm, Wilmerhale, currently represents or has represented at least Paul Manafort, Ivanka Trump, and Jared Kushner.  I don't have a problem with Mueller as long as he didn't personally do any work for Manafort, Trump, or Kushner, which according to the article, he did not.

1 hour ago, Swordfish said:

In what way(s), specifically, is Joe Lieberman 'i hate this country' level terrible?

supporting and actively cheerleading the iraq war, and withdrawing his (would have been 60th) vote to keep single payer in aca, just off the top of my head

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Joe Lieberman is terrible. I hate this country.

While I've never been a fan of Fudd, this seems a little extreme.  But yeah, Trump should just appoint an FBI official, Lieberman is too nakedly political. (Heh, did I just write a sentence assuming Trump would observe basic logic.  Now I'm going crazy).

1 hour ago, Altherion said:

Thus, it may be that he only walked away from power because it was going to be taken from him in any case and this directorship is a national-level position.

Yep.  Congrats on analyzing a wikipedia page at a moderate-to-high level.

56 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I used to wonder what it must have been like to live through like Watergate, MLK, Kent State, all that. Actually, by contrast, (1) even on the Nixon tapes (where he comes off as a racist, sexist power-crazed paranoiac) you gotta say Nixon was light years better than Trump. What got him was back then party loyalty only went so far. (2) No way Nixon gets impeached today, not for that (by comparison) penny ante stuff.

(1) No, the Nixon tapes include him ordering the bombing of the Brookings Institution.  He was obviously drunk, but if there were tapes of Trump doing something similar...Jeebus.  (2)  Disagree with this as well - breaking into the opposition party's headquarters during reelection is a far more sexy scandal than the one we're currently engulfed in.  Just ask Jesse Watters.

What I will say in Nixon's defense is he was the greatest foreign policy mind of his generation - LBJ being the greatest in domestic policy.  He managed to open up China while scaring the shit out of the Soviets.  That makes Clinton's triangulation look like child's play.  If only his personal demons were not so debilitating in terms of his relations with the press or anyone he viewed as a political enemy/threat.  Trump has all the bad qualities of NIxon, and none of the good.

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Joe Lieberman - new FBI Head?  Discuss.

He's too old for the ten year tenure -- 75.  He's part of the law firm that reps the orange's legal interests.

He's a sop to israel after the orange did with their intelligence and Russia.

Just now, Nasty LongRider said:

&undefined;&undefined;&undefined;&undefined;¦¯&undefined;¸&undefined;-&undefined;®¯»-²³&undefined;µ¶¼¸¹º»¼&undefined;&undefined;

Okay, that's reasonable.

10 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

&undefined;&undefined;&undefined;&undefined;¦¯&undefined;¸&undefined;-&undefined;®¯»-²³&undefined;µ¶¼¸¹º»¼&undefined;&undefined;

Stop quoting Trump!

One thing going for the Lieberman appointment is that it's no doubt sending Trump's Jackboot wearing Hitler saluting anti-Semite supporters into a confused rage. A Jew! in charge of the FEDS! WTF!?! When was the last time a Jew was put in charge of federal law enforcement? First, Jewish bankers in his Cabinet, then a Jew son-in-law in charge of...almost everything, now a Jewish head cop?

This is Rothschild's conspiracy becoming a reality right under the nose of the president who was (is?) the darling of the anti-Semite community.

Possibly not a huge positive from Joe's appointment, but for those wanting to get rid of Trump by first dividing and alienating his base then this is a small step in that direction.

1 minute ago, commiedore said:

no idea I wielded such awesome power... all of a sudden things aren't looking so bright for bush, kissinger, oreilly, trump....

I thought those people thought it was the evil within you that twisted and warped you and killed you in the end. Huh.

37 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

SO MUCH THIS. 

That's where he earns my ire.

Single payer was never going to pass the Senate, with or without Lieberman.

35 minutes ago, commiedore said:

no idea I wielded such awesome power... all of a sudden things aren't looking so bright for bush, kissinger, oreilly, trump....

If only.  This raises the question - how did Clinton survive his quadruple bypass?

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Probably, but it would've been nice to put that on the GOP's plate.

More like one of the moderate Dems that got a bunch of pork to vote for it would have to have changed their vote.

Just now, dmc515 said:

More like one of the moderate Dems that got a bunch of pork to vote for it would have to have changed their vote.

That's fine too. Holding whoever's feet to the fire for opposing it would've been a net gain. If it cost a Dem who put their warchest above their constituents (which granted is the vast majority of them), then good riddance.  

1 minute ago, Triskan said:

Single-payer was never really on the table.  It was the public option that arguably got axed by Lieberman and maybe also Ben Nelson of Nebraska.  Now perhaps the public option might have greased the skids toward single-payer...

That's true, I apologize for the conflation between the two...

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's fine too. Holding whoever's feet to the fire for opposing it would've been a net gain. If it cost a Dem who put their warchest above their constituents (which granted is the vast majority of them), then good riddance.  

Yeah, it was Nebraska Nelson that was holding it up, as mention by Triskan, although if it wasn't him it would have been Landrieu or....  I don't see what gain would have been made by embarrassing him.  Political or otherwise.

Archived