U.S. Politics: A City Upon A Hill Has Lost It's Shine.

Mr. Chatywin et al.

3 hours ago, Sword of Doom said:

He's attacking Kaep again and also took a shot at Steph Curry. LeBron dunked on Trump and called him (Trump) a bum as well as a liar. 

Why not call him a barn?  He's big as one now.

On 9/21/2017 at 10:59 PM, ThinkerX said:

Problem is, the liberal/conservative factions are far to busy demonizing each other to actually communicate beyond sound bites.

I live in a heavily conservative area.  Lots of conservatives on my route.  Much of my family is conservatively oriented - like my father.  He's an old line homesteader - to succeed at that takes a lot of back breaking work.  While doing that, he helped found the local volunteer fire department, and served with it for over 20 years until a bad back and watching people die from overdoses made him give it up. He's served on local road and recreational boards - dull, bureaucratic positions.  He's repaired many a vehicle for the younger relatives, free of charge - including me.  (He replaced a water pump in my rig because he was bored.)  A year ago, he let one of those younger relations move into the house, rent free, after a bitter divorce.  And he thinks Trump is one of the best presidents ever.  And many other Trump supporters fit into that mold.  It is these sorts of people whom I hope can be reached via actions like BLM's on that stage.  As it is, barring flukes like that, they are completely locked into a mirrored echo chamber.

Your father sounds like a real piece of work. 

My sympathies. 

37 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

My sympathies. 

Just proving his point; nice. 

43 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Why not call him a barn?  He's big as one now.

I thought fat shaming was considered a bad and immoral thing to do these days? Or is it only immoral when you like the object of fat shaming? 

3 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I'm trying to figure out if this conclusion is just the result of being simple-minded or an evil sob just really invested in trying to convince decent folks that milo ought to be able to do what he wants without consquence.  

Okay, explain to me again how protesting his speaking events prevented him from outing folks? It's simple-minded to think that anyone prevented him from doing this the last time around. If he had the information, he could have simply posted it to his Facebook as he did in this instance. 

11 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

maybe a good lampooning by trevor noah and a viral hashtag resistance will do the trick

Better than smashing windows and ATMs and setting off explosives. At the very least, he's not going to get a fuckton of free press on the back of hashtag resistance. 

21 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Better than smashing windows and ATMs and setting off explosives. At the very least, he's not going to get a fuckton of free press on the back of hashtag resistance. 

lol, slimy opportunistic fucks will always get a fuckton of media attention one way or the other. you think milo was gonna get a speaking gig at berkley and then say "fuck it, good enough, thats it for me then" 

may not be perfect every time, but direct action works baby

10 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

lol, slimy opportunistic fucks will always get a fuckton of media attention one way or the other. you think milo was gonna get a speaking gig at berkley and then say "fuck it, good enough, thats it for me then" 

may not be perfect every time, but direct action works baby

How did it work exactly? He's selling books now and still outing transsexual folks online. What does worked mean to you?

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

How did it work exactly? He's selling books now and still outing transsexual folks online. What does worked mean to you?

how has your polite and peaceful passive resistance worked out so far? that didn't fucking stop milo either. the difference is those folks out protesting are making their opposition to his and his the normalization of hate (and getting a fuckton of media play themselves), as opposed implicitly condoning him, by staying home and eating sheetcake and kissing your windows and atms goodnight

26 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

how has your polite and peaceful passive resistance worked out so far? that didn't fucking stop milo either. the difference is those folks out protesting are making their opposition to his and his the normalization of hate (and getting a fuckton of media play themselves), as opposed implicitly condoning him, by staying home and eating sheetcake and kissing your windows and atms goodnight

So same exact effect, only no property damage or media orgy. Sheetcake is fucking delicious, I don't know what your beef with baked goods is. 

2 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

Just proving his point; nice. 

I thought fat shaming was considered a bad and immoral thing to do these days? Or is it only immoral when you like the object of fat shaming? 

I wondered if I'd get called out on this.  I did it deliberately because that is what t***p does, and his people do, all the time.  Give it back.  The men around him are the most ugly people I have ever seen.

In the meantime, t***p just called Kaep's wife a bitch, and Stevie Wonder in Central Park didn't only do the knee, he did both knees.

Don't take on the football guys, you big stinking barn guy.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So same exact effect, only no property damage or media orgy. Sheetcake is fucking delicious, I don't know what your beef with baked goods is. 

good point. organizing a mass march to stand in solidarity with corporate property as we speak

8 minutes ago, r'hllor's red lobster said:

Polite and peaceful resistance at least has the virtue that it has not made anything worse. The violent protesters have made a good case for themselves actually being a greater menace than Milo (who, after all, only speaks) and also increased his publicity beyond his wildest dreams. His return to Berkeley now commands attention at the national level and while the violent protesters have the same attention, Milo actually has something to say whereas the protesters are mainly known for being violent. In fact, even if they succeed in keeping him out of a specific physical venue again, they will still have made him stronger because the number of people he would have reached at any physical venue is tiny compared to the number he will reach online and the latter will spike every time he gets into a conflict with the violent protesters. It's not really opposition if you're making your enemy stronger.

3 hours ago, WinterFox said:

My sympathies. 

I guess I could take that as a compliment.

More directly relevant to YOU: a couple of the ladies in the extended family went the lesbian route.  That doesn't bother him in the slightest because they work hard and are what he terms 'good people.' (not criminals or freeloaders)

From direct experience and posts on the net, there are a huge number of conservatives - perhaps a near majority - who are much like my father: hardworking, honest, compassionate to an extent - but also...'politically limited.'    To me, I see no real reason why that stripe of conservatism should be at such loggerheads with more leftist types. 

Archived