Stranger Things Season 2: Three Musketeers really are the WORST (Spoilers)

Trebla

6 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

I don't know yet. Just finished it, and...the caracitures of certain characters were a bit too much. Mostly Hopper. He went from my favorite character to the character in every sitcom who is taken over by traits (like slightly dumb characters in sitcoms becoming bumbling morons as the seasons go on). 

I am uncertain why...

Hide contents

Why the Mindflayer died when the gate closed. Did I miss a detail somewhere?

Hide contents

Was the Terminator super human? His first scene in the prologue was absolutely superhuman, but by the end, it was like he was just a bad ass? If he was super human, why?

And honestly, Erica's about the worst thing on TV since...I don't know. Couldn't stand her. Her scenes were awful.

I disagree with everything you said, but to answer your spoilers

Spoiler

The Mindflayer rat/human monster died just like the demodogs died in season 2 when the gate shut down. The big shadowy mindflayer is still in the upside down, as shown at the end of season 2, and only a part of him was here. 

The Russian super soldier was definitely over the top, and likely an homage to both The Terminator and other 80s strong goons. I don't think he was actually super human. I did like, that considering what we saw of him in that opening scene, he dominated Hopper in their fight moments, at least until the end.

After spending some time on the Stranger Things reddit, it does seem like Erica is the most divisive element to the new season. The folks who like her, really like her; and the folks who don't, really don't.

Personally, I really disliked her role this season. She was fine in tiny doses in Season 2, but she's a sassy sitcom kid in a show that isn't a sitcom and her expanded role stood out like a sore thumb this season.

Probably the weakest season to date, but not by much and they're clearly having problems with running out of 1980s tropes to lean on, which is presumably why they also leaned in the 1970s (for Dawn of the Dead) and 1990s (for Mallrats) for inspiration. It was also a very fan-servicey season and they also seemed to have issues with "Why can't Eleven just solve everything with her superpowers," their solution for which was boring.

Still, lots of fun lines, the cast is excellent, the new additions mostly worked and they did a reasonable job of setting up the story. The Russians building that massive base in under a year with no-one noticing was pure bullshit, though, and then sending dozens (hundreds?) of workers to wander around a middle American town with almost none of them being able to speak English.

Word is that the Duffer Brothers and Netflix are now talking five seasons rather than four, which I think would be a mistake. End it after four, keep it tight. Five I think would be over-indulgent.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hide contents

The Mindflayer rat/human monster died just like the demodogs died in season 2 when the gate shut down. The big shadowy mindflayer is still in the upside down, as shown at the end of season 2, and only a part of him was here. 

Shouldn't that part of him still be here? They did the exact same thing as last season that left the part of the mindflayer that was possessing someone in our world. but then they don't seem concerned about it.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Word is that the Duffer Brothers and Netflix are now talking five seasons rather than four, which I think would be a mistake. End it after four, keep it tight. Five I think would be over-indulgent.

If they do five there should be a considerable time jump. The child actors will look totally different by the time they get around to making season five anyway. It could be like a "returning to Derry as adults" thing. Maybe with them as college students if Netflix is willing to wait 2-3 years between seasons four and five. 

This article makes a pretty compelling case for SPOILER not actually being dead. 

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I could see them doing five seasons, but I agree that they really need a compelling idea for doing so. Maybe season 4 revolves around addressing the Russians (though I'm not sure how they'd do that considering who the characters are; they can't just wander around Russia) and season 5 is about removing the possibility of the doorway ever opening again (maybe destroying the upside down?)

Whatever they do, I think they need to change up the setting. If next season makes good on the Byers and Eleven being elsewhere, and not just coming back to Hawkins in episode 2 and staying for the season, that'd be a good start. And a fifth season time jump could be in order too; the Duffers did try to get an adaption of IT made before Stranger Things, so they may have an affinity for that kind of story. The problem is, unless they waited a long time, I think they'd have to drop most of the cast. Someone like Joe Keery could still be in it, he's 27 playing 18 or 19 right now; so in 2 years when they're filming a season 5 he could easily be 29 playing 34 or something. The other teens' actors are all in their early 20s though, so that'd be trickier and the kids couldn't do it all unless its only a very small time jump. And I'm not sure a season 5 who's only connective tissue to the rest of the show is Steve, Joyce Byers, Hopper (if he's alive), and Owens (I hope) with otherwise all new actors would be that attractive to Netflix.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Shouldn't that part of him still be here? They did the exact same thing as last season that left the part of the mindflayer that was possessing someone in our world. but then they don't seem concerned about it.

I don't think so. Last year, the part that remained was what was driven off from Will. Now, everything and everyone he was in died. Though of course, we got the after-credits scene.

27 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think so. Last year, the part that remained was what was driven off from Will. Now, everything and everyone he was in died. Though of course, we got the after-credits scene.

But the host died after the gate had been closed, no? I'm not sure how it was any different other than they didn't show the smokey remnant flying away. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

I could see them doing five seasons, but I agree that they really need a compelling idea for doing so. Maybe season 4 revolves around addressing the Russians (though I'm not sure how they'd do that considering who the characters are; they can't just wander around Russia) and season 5 is about removing the possibility of the doorway ever opening again (maybe destroying the upside down?)

Whatever they do, I think they need to change up the setting. If next season makes good on the Byers and Eleven being elsewhere, and not just coming back to Hawkins in episode 2 and staying for the season, that'd be a good start. And a fifth season time jump could be in order too; the Duffers did try to get an adaption of IT made before Stranger Things, so they may have an affinity for that kind of story. The problem is, unless they waited a long time, I think they'd have to drop most of the cast. Someone like Joe Keery could still be in it, he's 27 playing 18 or 19 right now; so in 2 years when they're filming a season 5 he could easily be 29 playing 34 or something. The other teens' actors are all in their early 20s though, so that'd be trickier and the kids couldn't do it all unless its only a very small time jump. And I'm not sure a season 5 who's only connective tissue to the rest of the show is Steve, Joyce Byers, Hopper (if he's alive), and Owens (I hope) with otherwise all new actors would be that attractive to Netflix.

A small time jump is in order anyway. It's four years since they filmed Season 1, but only eighteen months have passed in-universe, so by the time they get to Season 3, maybe Halloween 2020 at the earliest, they really will need some kind of time jump. If anything, they're lucky none of the kids have had a really massive growth spurt that makes them look as much older than they're characters then they are.

I wouldn't think they could stretch this 5 seasons, kid actors are tough to keep as kids!

If they filmed season 4-5 at the same time, in the next year, then yeah you could do it. 

Personally I am a fan of leaving me wanting more. S1, had it been the only season and we didn't that last scene with Will, would have made Stranger Things a phenomenon, since we would all be craving more. or at most S2 and end it.  Now, we have more and we are starting to think it's going too long.

My daughter is starting it now so I will see what she thinks. My wife will start it soon and she is a big fan of a certain character who may or may not be dead, so we will see what she thinks.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

But the host died after the gate had been closed, no? I'm not sure how it was any different other than they didn't show the smokey remnant flying away. 

Again, Will didn't die, the mind flayer was driven off, and remained without form. In this case, all the hosts died, so maybe the stuff inside died with the hosts, too. And really, there was only one host left. The monster itself was the muscle of the brain, and when the connection was broken, the muscle died.

26 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Again, Will didn't die, the mind flayer was driven off, and remained without form. In this case, all the hosts died, so maybe the stuff inside died with the hosts, too. And really, there was only one host left. The monster itself was the muscle of the brain, and when the connection was broken, the muscle died.

I know Will didn't die. The bit of the mind-flayer that was in him was driven off and this season it's revealed that it remained in our world after the gate closed. It eventually took over Billy. Since Billy only died after the gate closed, that part of the mind-flayer should still be in the normal world, no? Like no action was ever taken to send it back to the upside down. 

33 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I know Will didn't die. The bit of the mind-flayer that was in him was driven off and this season it's revealed that it remained in our world after the gate closed. It eventually took over Billy. Since Billy only died after the gate closed, that part of the mind-flayer should still be in the normal world, no? Like no action was ever taken to send it back to the upside down. 

But maybe, because the host died, it died too. We don't know for sure. We also don't whether or not the monster sucked its own essence out of Billy as he turned traitor. Also, last season there was the fear that if the gate closed, Will would die. So they had to do all that with him at the cabin. Billy was dying, and died of his wounds after the gate closed, or he would have died, anyway, the moment the gate closed.

Edit: The people don't have a good picture of it, either. Going back to your original question, why isn't anyone worried, well technically no one was worried after Will either. Nancy was about the only one to notice when that cloud left Will, and she didn't question. The general belief is that closing the gate kills all that the mind flayer controls. And despite all of it, I really don't believe any of the characters have a good understanding on how the flesh monster came to be. So we might be worried, but the characters won't be.

I enjoyed most of the season, if a little less than I did seasons 1 and 2. A bit too much time wasted on the budding romances this season. I loved Bauman expressing my opinion to Hopper and Joyce during that car ride. They were more tiring than Eleven and Mike

Dustin's relationship, however, had a great payoff. Probably my fav scene this season. Makes up for the nausea flashbacks I got from seeing the Gravitron several times this season.

I honestly found the Russian subplot more entertaining than the mind flayer one. Dustin and Steve are always entertaining together and Robin and Erica were nice additions. 

Nice little cliffhanger to end the season on.

I’ve finished it now, I agree with others about the whole Russian underground military base thing being a bit much.

Also how great is Robin, so completely felt for her in that scene where she tells Steve she’s gay.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Did anyone else that the alarms in the Russian base sounded a lot like the Death Star alarms? Another homage?

A little bit. There was a shot with the Russian troops marching down the hall while panning through the floor to the tunnels where the gang was hiding that was very similar to the Star Wars shot when they were hiding in the cargo hold of the Millenium Falcon when first docking in the Death Star. 

Anyone else love Nancy's Linda Hamilton Sarah Connor haircut from Terminator?

The kids fighting the monster at Hopper's cabin reminded me a lot of Evil Dead. Especially Nancy with the boomstick.

5 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I’ve finished it now, I agree with others about the whole Russian underground military base thing being a bit much.

Also how great is Robin, so completely felt for her in that scene where she tells Steve she’s gay.

Steve's reaction was amazing, he didn't make it weird and just accepted her.

I feel really shitty for Erica, she's not going to be compensated for her role in Operation Child Endangerment.

I now have the Neverending Story song stuck in my head, thanks to that hilarious and quite ballzy scene. I'm not sure whose reaction is the best. I lost it when Suzie raised her fist. Also, nice reference to Earthsea.

45 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I feel really shitty for Erica, she's not going to be compensated for her role in Operation Child Endangerment.

They tried to buy her off with a bunch of Will’s used stuff. :lol:

Which was actually a really sweet scene though. Passing the torch to a younger generation nerd. 

54 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

They tried to buy her off with a bunch of Will’s used stuff. :lol:

Which was actually a really sweet scene though. Passing the torch to a younger generation nerd. 

She seemed satisfied with it too. I loved the scene where not only did Dustin call her out on being a nerd but he owned the fact that he likes My Little Pony.

Archived