Sign in to follow this  
DireWolfSpirit

What are you listening to Ventiquattro - Dont let Life pass you by.

Aside from Smash Mouth, which I'm always rocking out to, I'm currently working my way through Limp Bizkit's back catalog. Some real gems in there.

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Forgot to mention on top of Smash Mouth and Limp Bizkit that P.O.D. has round its way back into my rotation.  

This news that Doves are getting back together to make a studio record excites me.  

I heard recently that Scott Stapp is making a serious comeback. How exciting is that?!

They've not got the radio on at work so I banged some early Tom Waits on through my computer via Spotify.

It didn't got down well. Philistines.

New Bon Iver album released early, so your boy is only listening to that for the rest of the year.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:47 AM, Raja said:

New Bon Iver album released early, so your boy is only listening to that for the rest of the year.

Definitely curious about this one. 

Do you guys remember that 90's and Soul Coughing and thinking they sucked?  We might have been wrong. 

Just discovered the late singer Phoebe Snow. I bought her first album on my wife's recommendation and I'm really digging it. Funky and soulful for sure.

If you've ever heard the old disco song boogie, ooogie, oogie by Taste of Honey it's quite interesting to realize the lead singer was a bit of a badass bassist while she was singing and dancing in those heels. 

On 8/17/2019 at 7:34 PM, Triskele said:

Do you guys remember that 90's and Soul Coughing and thinking they sucked?  We might have been wrong. 

Well I listened to this and then Super Bon Bon right after naturally.  Doughty and Everlast should form a theme festival. 

Now I'm listening to Khruangbin.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:04 AM, Triskele said:

If you like Midnight Organ Fight then I strongly recommend two other records by Frightened Rabbit.  It's the two that followed that which are Winter of Mixed Drinks and Pedestrian Verse.  These three records together I think are neck-and-neck-and-neck, and it's hard to put them in order.  

Have yet to get into Pedestrian Verse, but I've been enjoying the hell out of Winter of Mixed Drinks. "Swim Until You Can't See Land" is one of those songs that will just lodge itself in your head and not let go.

I'm singing it to myself right now.

All in all, I cannot stop singing. I cannot start sinking. I swim until it ends.

And if you don't catch that reference, please catch that reference. It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

On 8/20/2019 at 8:52 PM, Mr. X said:

Have yet to get into Pedestrian Verse, but I've been enjoying the hell out of Winter of Mixed Drinks. "Swim Until You Can't See Land" is one of those songs that will just lodge itself in your head and not let go.

I'm singing it to myself right now.

All in all, I cannot stop singing. I cannot start sinking. I swim until it ends.

And if you don't catch that reference, please catch that reference. It's one of my favorite songs of all time.

I loved that one you linked.   I'm so confused on what the band's name is.

Fairly amped on your initial reaction to Winter of Mixed Drinks.   I really love the whole thing, but the track you mention is one of the most memorable.

If you revisit this album here's some knowledge that our departed Muse said that track 1 on this record, "Things", was his favorite.  It's a grower, if I understand the term correctly in context.   

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

I loved that one you linked.   I'm so confused on what the band's name is.

"Things" is a great opener. Frightened Rabbit definitely knew some things about sequencing albums.

The song I linked is by a guy named Ted Leo who releases most of his music as Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, which is frequently abbreviated as Ted Leo/Pharmacists (or TL/Rx if you want to save keystrokes). Confusingly enough, sometimes Pharmacists is added to his name even when he's not playing with a full band.

Anyway, Ted is one of my all-time favorite musicians/songwriters. I don't think he's ever released a bad album, but the first three full-band TL/Rx albums are flawless: The Tyranny of Distance (I linked the opening track earlier), Hearts of Oak, and Shake the Sheets.

Somebody posted this thing around when I joined the board with the caption "Rhaegar Targaryen's classic music video"