Bloodraven is not the Three Eye'd Crow.

AlaskanSandman

21 minutes ago, LynnS said:

It brings to mind the possibility that others have had visitations from BR.  Robert Arryn is one candidate since he suffers from night terrors, not unlike Bran and Tyrion.  Tyrion controls these visitations with alcohol while Robert is given a drug to sleep.  Which probably isn't the best thing in the situation where altered states provide a doorway.  We're told that Robert is afraid of men with moles on their faces and this gives his obsession with letting the bad man fly out the moon door another meaning.

It’s possible and worth considering, although we’ve learned there are other ways into dreams as well, namely the Glass Candles... and there are other kinds of dreams which haunt characters, like Dragon Dreams.

Euron is especially interesting. I suspect his relationship to the Warlocks and the House of the Undying is going to be important. I see the HotU as a strong parallel in Essos to Bloodraven’s Lair in Westeros. The Black trees which make shade of the evening, and likely provide the ebony wood making the other half of the Faceless Men’s thrones along with Weirwood. 

The other direct parallels are striking as well:

Servitors vs Children of the Forrest

Enter through a mouth shaped gate

shade of the evening vs weirwood paste

promises of knowledge and power

instructions not to get lost

Immobile ancients in thrones at the center

Pree even collapses into a pale wormlike thing in the HotU

Even with all that said, Euron is a bit of a wildcard... a wildcard with power armor it seems... 

56 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Jon is having a wolf dream, so he appears as ghost. Bran is in the Winterfell Crypt, which, like BRs lair, is located below a Wierwood and likely has roots growing through the bones below. So Bran appearing as a Westwood would be consistent with Bloodraven appearing as a weirwood (especially since Bran appears with an extra eye to Jon, and the Weirwood in Bran’s dreams seems to have two eyes, BRs one plus an extra.

Indeed, but the point still stands that Bran does not seem aware that he was appearing as a Weirwood Tree so it is possible that Bloodraven doesn't realise he looks like a 3EC in some of his visions. I don't think it is the case. myself. I really do think Greenseers' power is heavily connected to the Weirwood Trees, hence why they might naturally appear as them when they speak to people in their dreams.

Interesting... I’ll need to think about it, as at some level the connection does appear to be through the wolves.

For me, it's the fact that Jon (in Ghost) simply identifies the face as "his brother", in a similar way to how Bran (in Summer) identifies Rickon (in Shaggydog) as "his brother". They never tend to use each other's names or even the wolves' names when they are warging or having wolf dreams. Plus, there's the fact that Jon never really confirms that it was Bran's face.

I’m not totally sure the faces on the Weirwoods were “carved” back in the day or grown...

Doesn't BR say something along the lines of the singers carving eyes into the Weirwoods to "awaken" them? That implies that the faces did have to put into the tree. Though, I suppose you can have a face without eyes...

Almost like it’s trying to save bran from the tree...

It could be. The only issue with that is the fact that the Bran-de-Bunch go North of the Wall to find the Three-Eyed-Crow because they are, essentially, following Jojen's dreams. Looking back over those chapters, you realise just how much they are relying on Jojen's visions to guide them. After all, the thing that convinced Howland to send his little Reedlings to Winterfell was because of the chained winged-wolf dream. Very little of the plan to go North actually comes from Bran -- it is all Jojen. Even Meera isn't all that big ongoing and seems uneasy about the expedition all the way there, right down to never fully trusting Coldhands. He's the one who decides the Crow is in the North, Beyond the Wall. He never really tells us why he thinks that, though. For all we know, a tree told him to do it.

Jojen who, while his dreams might always be true, could just as easily misinterpret what he has seen. Especially since they are symbolic and never literal. Much like how Mel is forever getting what she sees wrong.

(Also, what was up with Summer and Shaggydog freaking out and trying to attack Jojen when he tries to push the issue of Bran's dreams? I never got that. I could understand Summer, as he might have been reacting to Bran's emotional response, but Shaggydog doing it as well made it feel like he'd... touched a nerve with them.)

2 hours ago, LynnS said:

I still question what is going on with Euron and I wonder if he has been prepped for body snatching.  

God, I know, right? Ever since he had that weird speech about people being able to fly I have been like... "Did a Three-Eyed-Crow tell you that, by any chance?"

3 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

After all when Meera asks Coldhands about the three eyed crow, she asks two questions and gets two answers... who sent you? The last greenseer. Who is the three eyed crow? Brandon Stark.

"He's dead." Bran could taste the bile in his throat. "Meera, he's some dead thing. The monsters cannot pass so long as the Wall stands and the men of the Night's Watch stay true, that's what Old Nan used to say. He came to meet us at the Wall, but he could not pass. He sent Sam instead, with that wildling girl."
Meera's gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. "Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?
"A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last greenseer." The longhall's wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Coldhands did not move.
"A monster," Bran said.
The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. "Your monster, Brandon Stark.
"Yours," the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer's song of "Yours, yours, yours."

:blink:

I had to lift out my book and re-read this just to make sure I wasn't being distracted by all the bold but I just realised that Bran might have been referring to the 3EC as "A monster" and not Coldhands. I was so distracted by Jojen's final line, in which he seems to be referring to Coldhands as "Bran's Monster", that I never thought about it that way before. So, I always presumed that when Coldhands said, "Your monster, Brandon Stark." he meant himself but... they were talking about the 3EC...

21 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Even with all that said, Euron is a bit of a wildcard... a wildcard with power armor it seems... 

He could either be the Anti-Bran or a Failed Bran (or even a Failed Jon)... either would be interesting.

45 minutes ago, Faera said:

Indeed, but the point still stands that Bran does not seem aware that he was appearing as a Weirwood Tree so it is possible that Bloodraven doesn't realise he looks like a 3EC in some of his visions. I don't think it is the case. myself. I really do think Greenseers' power is heavily connected to the Weirwood Trees, hence why they might naturally appear as them when they speak to people in their dreams.

I think it makes sense, we just have a small sample size for all of this so it’s hard to be sure.

For me, it's the fact that Jon (in Ghost) simply identifies the face as "his brother", in a similar way to how Bran (in Summer) identifies Rickon (in Shaggydog) as "his brother". They never tend to use each other's names or even the wolves' names when they are warging or having wolf dreams. Plus, there's the fact that Jon never really confirms that it was Bran's face.

The pack! I do think it was Bran, and I agree that they don’t use names when they’re in the wolf dreams, it’s more primal. Also there is the fact that this Bran Jon connection takes place across the Wall (Jon North and Bran South), the Wall seems to block Jon’s ability to connect with Ghost, but perhaps the Weirwoods are not similarly limited.

Doesn't BR say something along the lines of the singers carving eyes into the Weirwoods to "awaken" them? That implies that the faces did have to put into the tree. Though, I suppose you can have a face without eyes...

There are a number of references to carving faces in the trees, and some clear examples of Wildlings carving new faces... but Measters use ravens for messages too... so I’m just saying it’s possible the original way may not have been to carve them. Not sold on the idea, just seems possible.

It could be. The only issue with that is the fact that the Bran-de-Bunch go North of the Wall to find the Three-Eyed-Crow because they are, essentially, following Jojen's dreams. Looking back over those chapters, you realise just how much they are relying on Jojen's visions to guide them. After all, the thing that convinced Howland to send his little Reedlings to Winterfell was because of the chained winged-wolf dream. Very little of the plan to go North actually comes from Bran -- it is all Jojen. Even Meera isn't all that big ongoing and seems uneasy about the expedition all the way there, right down to never fully trusting Coldhands. He's the one who decides the Crow is in the North, Beyond the Wall. He never really tells us why he thinks that, though. For all we know, a tree told him to do it.

Jojen who, while his dreams might always be true, could just as easily misinterpret what he has seen. Especially since they are symbolic and never literal. Much like how Mel is forever getting what she sees wrong.

Jojen does appear to be wrong a lot, maybe even reliably so... And I think it’s totally possible he went north when he should have been heading south (north to go south) to the God’s Eye.

I did a whole write up once about Jojen seeing the winged wolf chained dream and how it could potentially fit Bran trying to help Summer escape the Godswood when it was chained in and Theon took the castle. The dream end when Summer falls trying to climb/escape/fly...

He bared his teeth, but the man-rock took no notice. A gate loomed up, a black iron snake coiled tight about bar and post. When he crashed against it, the gate shuddered and the snake clanked and slithered and held. Through the bars he could look down the long stone burrow that ran between the walls to the stony field beyond, but there was no way through. He could force his muzzle between the bars, but no more. Many a time his brother had tried to crack the black bones of the gate between his teeth, but they would not break.

(Also, what was up with Summer and Shaggydog freaking out and trying to attack Jojen when he tries to push the issue of Bran's dreams? I never got that. I could understand Summer, as he might have been reacting to Bran's emotional response, but Shaggydog doing it as well made it feel like he'd... touched a nerve with them.)

I need to re-read...

God, I know, right? Ever since he had that weird speech about people being able to fly I have been like... "Did a Three-Eyed-Crow tell you that, by any chance?"

Haha it is clearly a good question... does the three eyed crow come to people all over or just Bran/company is a great question... the fact that Euron is the crows eye only adds to the suspicion.

:blink:

I had to lift out my book and re-read this just to make sure I wasn't being distracted by all the bold but I just realised that Bran might have been referring to the 3EC as "A monster" and not Coldhands. I was so distracted by Jojen's final line, in which he seems to be referring to Coldhands as "Bran's Monster", that I never thought about it that way before. So, I always presumed that when Coldhands said, "Your monster, Brandon Stark." he meant himself but... they were talking about the 3EC...

Ya I get the sense that this is a scene who’s meaning will one day (hopefully) be much clearer in retrospect... but unlike many people I don’t think they were talking about Coldhands at all.

He could either be the Anti-Bran or a Failed Bran (or even a Failed Jon)... either would be interesting.

If the White Weirwoods have champion(s)... then maybe the Ebony Trees of the Shade of the Evening have one(or more) champion(s) too!

4 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

So I just don’t buy the whole mentor-Student narative we are being fed...

So we’ve already gone over how Bloodraven doesn’t understand Bran’s question and mistakenly assumes he’s talking about BR’s time as a Brother of the Nights Watch. Which is a huge red flag in itself, since the Night’s Watch serves for life, and Nan warned Bran that he is safe from monsters as long as the men of the watch stay true, BR has not stayed true to his vows.

But it also bears repeating that I’m not sure this “And now youare come to me at last, Brandon Stark, though the hour is late.” is referring to anything other than BR’s hour growing late. I suspect “you are come to me at last” is highlighting that BR has been looking forward to this. We see Varamyr take another person’s body, and I think this is what BR will try to do to Bran. 

After all when Meera asks Coldhands about the three eyed crow, she asks two questions and gets two answers... who sent you? The last greenseer. Who is the three eyed crow? Brandon Stark.

I don't think he's calling Brandon Stark the 3EC here. I don't know if it's Bloodraven either, but I could be interpreting this wrong, but when Meera asks who sent you, whos the three eyed crow, I think his answer to both questions is the first answer he gives, "A friend. A dreamer, call him what you will. The Greenseer". And the Brandon Stark line seems to come directly as a response to Bran, saying "A Monster". I'd have to reach that point myself and read the whole page to get the context of it. Thats how my brain tends to work, lol. But you may very well be right here.

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

No, they (me too) think that the man bound to a tree, is Brynden Rivers, though he wasn't that three-eyed bird, that appeared in Bran's dreams. They think that the bird is someone else.

Cool dat. Who is the bird?

4 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

So we’ve already gone over how Bloodraven doesn’t understand Bran’s question and mistakenly assumes he’s talking about BR’s time as a Brother of the Nights Watch. Which is a huge red flag in itself, since the Night’s Watch serves for life, and Nan warned Bran that he is safe from monsters as long as the men of the watch stay true, BR has not stayed true to his vows.

I'm still not getting this from BR's words. He's being evasive, and goes on to quite specifically confirm that he's been visiting Bran in his dreams, so he doesn't sound the least bit confused to me, just being a bit cheeky by not answering directly.

1 hour ago, maudisdottir said:

I'm still not getting this from BR's words. He's being evasive, and goes on to quite specifically confirm that he's been visiting Bran in his dreams, so he doesn't sound the least bit confused to me, just being a bit cheeky by not answering directly.

Let’s see if I can break it down...

"Are you the three-eyed crow?"

”A... crow?”

That’s the dialogue...

Bran asks a very specific question, using “the” since he is referring to a specific, three eyed, crow.

Bloodraven responds with a question, a problem in itself, that contains two words and Some punctuation... but let me see if I can break it down further for you.

“A” indicates nonspecificity... he doesn’t understand Bran is referring to a particular crow.

”...” the ellipsis is used to show a pause or gap in speech, like BR is searching for understanding.

”crow” leaves off the identifiable three eyes part, and BR goes on to elaborate on it, showing he is talking about a Brother of the Nights Watch and not Bran’s dream or even a crow as in an animal not a nickname for a group of men.

”?” Indicates Bloodraven’s lack of understanding, this is what he thinks Bran is talking about, but we know it clearly isn’t.

Even the part about Bran’s dream doesn’t fit the three eyed crow... BR uses words like “saw”, “watched” and “was there”. The 3eC talked, pecked and played a much more active roll, the description by BR fits the Weirwood in Bran’s dream way better than the 3eC.

27 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I have been warned not to pick arguments with fellow posters.

Argue! I would never!

I'm gonna ask one question. Who in your opinion is Bran's three eyed crow?

I’m far more confident that Bloodraven is not the three eyed crow than I am of who it will turn out to be. There are certainly other possibilities, Bran himself (though I have issues with the time travel thing) or Jon (I actually don’t really like this one personally) being possible. It could be Benjen, the ghost of high heart or a green man from the isle of faces in the gods Eye. I would also consider Howland Reed or even Mance Rayder as candidates. It could even be some spirit of stark ancestors gone by for all I know, though I would much prefer it ends up being a specific character.

Part of me really wants to believe that the Others are a threat mankind has brought upon itself as opposed to just a supernatural apocalyptic force on a timer.

This has been my belief irt the WWs from the start. I could be totally wrong, but it would make much more sense that "men brought it upon themselves" not only in universe, but also taking Martin - personally and artistically - into consideration.

6 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I once made a statement to a poster, “You and I don’t read the same books.” It offended the poster which was not my intent.

You are forgiven, Puppy. ;)   In any case, the discussion wouldn't be any fun if we all 'read the same books'..!

5 hours ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

But it also bears repeating that I’m not sure this “And now you are come to me at last, Brandon Stark, though the hour is late.” is referring to anything other than BR’s hour growing late. I suspect “you are come to me at last” is highlighting that BR has been looking forward to this. We see Varamyr take another person’s body, and I think this is what BR will try to do to Bran. 

Good points.  Agree on the sinister subtext of the 'late hour.'  Figuratively, Bloodraven's fire has almost gone out (a metaphor for being close to death... cf. Aemon's eulogy by Sam), as suggested by the description of his red eye like the last burning coal of an almost-dead fire (rough paraphrase).  Perhaps he requires a broken Bran(ch) :P to rekindle his fire!  Similarly, Varamyr's dwindling lifeforce is also characterised as a struggling fire, with Thistle as the wood to be sacrificed to his ego:

A Dance with Dragons - Prologue

Only a grey-and-black tangle of charred wood remained, with a few embers glowing in the ashes. There's still smoke, it just needs wood. Gritting his teeth against the pain, Varamyr crept to the pile of broken branches Thistle had gathered before she went off hunting, and tossed a few sticks onto the ashes. "Catch," he croaked. "Burn." He blew upon the embers and said a wordless prayer to the nameless gods of wood and hill and field.

The gods gave no answer. After a while, the smoke ceased to rise as well. Already the little hut was growing colder. Varamyr had no flint, no tinder, no dry kindling. He would never get the fire burning again, not by himself. "Thistle," he called out, his voice hoarse and edged with pain. "Thistle!"

Her chin was pointed and her nose flat, and she had a mole on one cheek with four dark hairs growing from it. An ugly face, and hard, yet he would have given much to glimpse it in the door of the hut. I should have taken her before she left. How long had she been gone? Two days? Three? Varamyr was uncertain. It was dark inside the hut, and he had been drifting in and out of sleep, never quite sure if it was day or night outside. "Wait," she'd said. "I will be back with food." So like a fool he'd waited, dreaming of Haggon and Bump and all the wrongs he had done in his long life, but days and nights had passed and Thistle had not returned. She won't be coming back. Varamyr wondered if he had given himself away. Could she tell what he was thinking just from looking at him, or had he muttered in his fever dream?

Compare:

A Dance with Dragons - Bran III

That was just another silly dream, though. Some days Bran wondered if all of this wasn't just some dream. Maybe he had fallen asleep out in the snows and dreamed himself a safe, warm place. You have to wake, he would tell himself, you have to wake right now, or you'll go dreaming into death...

'Dreaming yourself into death' has an echo of 'sweet sleep' overdose, hinting that neither the cave nor Bloodraven is benevolent.

3 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

Argue! I would never!

Har. Not you. I was the one warned.

You are a bit more up front than some of the whiners that resort to the bear and the enforcer.

6 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

I’m far more confident that Bloodraven is not the three eyed crow than I am of who it will turn out to be

Argh.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I think that the 3EC is projection in spiritual world, of what is left of Brynden's soul. He is possesed physically and spiritually by the Tree, so the Tree "ate" most of him. And what is left of his soul, is appearing in Bran's and Jojen's dreams as that bird.

Or could be that the bird is not someone at all, rather it is something. Could be that it is some natural spirit of magic, or something like that.

Though majority on this thread think that the bird is Jon Snow. :rolleyes:

I think that Jon is already a lot of things, so to be also a 3EC is a bit overboard. He's already a Bastard of Winterfell, direwolf warg, Crow of Night's Watch, wildling, Lord Commander of Night's Watch, son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark, the Prince that was prommised, Azor Ahai, future King of 7K Aegon VII Targaryen. No need to add 3EC to list of who he is.

25 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

This has been my belief irt the WWs from the start. I could be totally wrong, but it would make much more sense that "men brought it upon themselves" not only in universe, but also taking Martin - personally and artistically - into consideration.

This echos my thinking exactly, and it seems to me Leaf has expressed this sentiment as well:

And they did sing. They sang in True Tongue, so Bran could not understand the words, but their voices were as pure as winter air. "Where are the rest of you?" Bran asked Leaf, once.
"Gone down into the earth," she answered. "Into the stones, into the trees. Before the First Men came all this land that you call Westeros was home to us, yet even in those days we were few. The gods gave us long lives but not great numbers, lest we overrun the world as deer will overrun a wood where there are no wolves to hunt them. That was in the dawn of days, when our sun was rising. Now it sinks, and this is our long dwindling. The giants are almost gone as well, they who were our bane and our brothers. The great lions of the western hills have been slain, the unicorns are all but gone, the mammoths down to a few hundred. The direwolves will outlast us all, but their time will come as well. In the world that men have made, there is no room for them, or us.
She seemed sad when she said it, and that made Bran sad as well. It was only later that he thought, Men would not be sad. Men would be wroth. Men would hate and swear a bloody vengeance. The singers sing sad songs, where men would fight and kill.

I think that men are the deer in this analogy, and Leaf is saying that without “wolves” to cull the heard they overrun the world leaving no room for Children, Giants, and the other supernatural critters. The Others seem to be the wolves...

We know that the Children once fought with Men, so I don’t see any reason to think they are willing to go quietly into the night like Tolkein’s Elves.

Bran doesn’t understand the words, so it’s possible the Children are sad for what they’ve done and not what’s happened to them... 

20 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Har. Not you. I was the one warned.

Haha we’ve all been there... I can be an overbearing ass but I try not to be personal, and I enjoy the disagreements maybe more than the agreements. I’ve been wrong before and I’ve changed my mind over time, and on more than one occasion  had this pointed out or spurred on by forum discussions. So cheers to all.

Argh.

Ya, it was kinda a cop-out if I’m honest.

Right now, I lean toward Howland or Benjen, but mostly for their conspicuous and lengthy absence from the series.

20 hours ago, LynnS said:

Well, I respect your opinion.  If BR is so powerful after 125 years, how can he not choose the form he takes in a vision?  His identity seems more tied to the tree at this point than a crow.  I agree the meetings are mind to mind or soul to soul but I think Jon is the one who comes in disguise to Bran rather than BR.

Same here. i don't think he doesn't know/can't choose, just wanted to bring up the possibility. :)

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Shame, shame upon the sinner!

The pack! I do think it was Bran, and I agree that they don’t use names when they’re in the wolf dreams, it’s more primal. Also there is the fact that this Bran Jon connection takes place across the Wall (Jon North and Bran South), the Wall seems to block Jon’s ability to connect with Ghost, but perhaps the Weirwoods are not similarly limited.

Well, one thing that always struck me about going through the Wall about Bran and his companions is now Jojen simply doesn't seem to have his green dreams anymore, only regular dreams as other boys do, as Meera once put it. That is especially odd since he spends most of his time sleeping due to how frail he feels. It is almost as if he is cut off from whatever magic aids him once he's North of the Wall... indicating, perhaps, that the source of his dreams are South.

So, yes, that does give a pretty strong indicator that Weirwoods are not inhibited by the Wall. Very likely because it is their roots that are networking beneath the earth, allowing them to bypass the magic of the Wall entirely.

2 hours ago, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

I don't think he's calling Brandon Stark the 3EC here.

I don't think he is either. The closest we get to such an indication is from Jojen's reference to Coldhands as "Bran's monster" and Coldhands (potentially) referring to "The Last Greenseer" (and presumably by extension, the 3EC) "Your monster" to Bran. So, in someways, rather than Bran actually being the 3EC he is saying that the 3EC is his monster, which the ravens also agree with.

Jojen does appear to be wrong a lot, maybe even reliably so... And I think it’s totally possible he went north when he should have been heading south (north to go south) to the God’s Eye.

I did a whole write up once about Jojen seeing the winged wolf chained dream and how it could potentially fit Bran trying to help Summer escape the Godswood when it was chained in and Theon took the castle. The dream end when Summer falls trying to climb/escape/fly...

It is possible. I have even one or two theories suggesting that Jojen was way off the mark and that Sansa was the winged wolf in need of freeing. The very nature of his dreams means they are up to interpretation, taking on a very similar form to the Ghost of High Heart. It all makes sense in hindsight but during the present, all Jojen can do is... wing it.

I personally have always felt that the "winged wolf" dream had so many different meanings. It definitely "unchained" Bran simply by leading to Meera and Jojen being sent to Winterfell. At the beginning of 'Clash', he is becoming very, very isolated and is not spending time with the other children. The kids he has to "play" with are Big and Little Walder, the latter being an insensitive bully. It is on their account the wolves are confined to the Godswood, Rickon upsets Bran further by showing them the crypts and when they do "include" him in their games, it's forcing him to pointlessly keep score. The 3EC trying to "free" him is impossible because Bran has become a prisoner in Winterfell, feeling isolated and excluded.

What I wish we could find out is what made him drag everyone all the way up beyond the Wall in the first place? What told him that they needed to go North? If we knew what that dream was, would we agree with his interpretation? Or did the 3EC specifically tell him, "Go North, young Jojen!" He never really explains why it is North. He just... tells them it is North.

Haha it is clearly a good question... does the three eyed crow come to people all over or just Bran/company is a great question... the fact that Euron is the crows eye only adds to the suspicion.

Hmmmm, well, the Ghost of High Heart (again) describes who we suspect was Euron Greyjoy as "a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings." Maybe, like his little brother Aeron, he also nearly drowned when he was young and the 3EC visited him then? It might have been so inspiring for him that he took it as his sigil and... drove him mad. :blink:

Anyway, I need to go to bed now. Hope I don't miss too much while I sleep. :rolleyes:

Archived