Harrenhall Through A Little Crannogman’s Eyes

Curled Finger

1 minute ago, LynnS said:

Besides not stirring up Catelyn and being reminded of Ashara himself; he might know something about Aegon and Ashara's role in hiding him or secreting him out of KL.  Their safety depends on his silence.

Poor Ned!

4 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I'm inclined to think that Aegon really is Rhaegar's son.  I can't fathom that Rhaegar wouldn't have taken steps to get his all important PwiP to safety and in the keeping of people he trusts.  We have Cersei suggesting the same thing about Tommen - dying his hair, telling people that he is the son of a hedge knight, hiding him somewhere. 

Aegon says he dies his hair blue to honor his mother; but Tyrion recognizes that the blue dye make his eyes seem more blue than purple. They are indigo blue, a blue so dark they look purple in a certain light.  Rhaegar also has indigo eyes.  I expect that Dany may know the difference if she ever sets eyes on Aegon since she has seen Rhaegar in her vision in the HoU.  We'll probably find out from her or Selmy if he survives long enough. I don't think Tyrion is discounting it and he makes the point that the infant that was murdered was very disfigured.  We are only told this is Aegon.  As Coldhands says "Let the world think the boy is dead, so no one comes looking."   I don't think this is the only time GRRM has used this ploy. 

Jon com clearly states that fAegon eyes are diferent from rhaegar's. I think fAegon has lighter eyes... But don t remember exactly.

And if rhaegar hid Aegon he wouldn t have used varys that basically fucked his plans in harrenhall. And if Rhaegar was involved in the switch he would have sent Aegon to someone he trusted... 

12 minutes ago, divica said:

Jon com clearly states that fAegon eyes are diferent from rhaegar's. I think fAegon has lighter eyes... But don t remember exactly.

And if rhaegar hid Aegon he wouldn t have used varys that basically fucked his plans in harrenhall. And if Rhaegar was involved in the switch he would have sent Aegon to someone he trusted... 

This is what Tyrion says:

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion IV

"You do not know the river. Wait, and you will see."

The bacon turned crisp, the biscuits golden brown. Young Griff stumbled up onto deck yawning. "Good morrow, all." The lad was shorter than Duck, but his lanky build suggested that he had not yet come into his full growth. This beardless boy could have any maiden in the Seven Kingdoms, blue hair or no. Those eyes of his would melt them. Like his sire, Young Griff had blue eyes, but where the father's eyes were pale, the son's were dark. By lamplight they turned black, and in the light of dusk they seemed purple. His eyelashes were as long as any woman's.

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion V

The dwarf ignored him. "The blue hair makes your eyes seem blue, that's good. And the tale of how you color it in honor of your dead Tyroshi mother was so touching it almost made me cry. Still, a curious man might wonder why some sellsword's whelp would need a soiled septa to instruct him in the Faith, or a chainless maester to tutor him in history and tongues. And a clever man might question why your father would engage a hedge knight to train you in arms instead of simply sending you off to apprentice with one of the free companies. It is almost as if someone wanted to keep you hidden whilst still preparing you for … what? Now, there's a puzzlement, but I'm sure that in time it will come to me. I must admit, you have noble features for a dead boy."

Dany describes Rhaegar's eyes:

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys IV

Viserys, was her first thought the next time she paused, but a second glance told her otherwise. The man had her brother's hair, but he was taller, and his eyes were a dark indigo rather than lilac. "Aegon," he said to a woman nursing a newborn babe in a great wooden bed. "What better name for a king?"

Isn't that what Varys does?  Fuck with people's plans?  In this case, Rhaegar may have wanted Aegon to be the one to restore peace, prosperity and justice to the realm.  That seems to be Varys' plan as well.

10 minutes ago, LynnS said:

This is what Tyrion says:

Dany describes Rhaegar's eyes:

This is what jon con says

"Your father's lands are beautiful," he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy's. "As do I, Your Grace. Please, be seated. Ser Rolly, we'll have no further need of you for now."

So rhaegar eyes were deep/dark purple-indigo

And faegon eyes are deep/dark blue and in the right light seem purple or are simply purple

Resultado de imagem para indigo

ps the image was supposed to show the diference between purple and indigo =(

9 minutes ago, divica said:

This is what jon con says

So rhaegar eyes were deep/dark purple-indigo

And faegon eyes are deep/dark blue and in the right light seem purple or are simply purple

Resultado de imagem para indigo

ps the image was supposed to show the diference between purple and indigo =(

Yah we can split hairs on the color indigo but it is basically a dark blue transitioning to purple or a shade of blue-purple.

Yah we can split hairs on the color indigo but it is basically a dark blue transitioning to purple.

In the net I also didn t find a consensus on what is indigo but what I wanted to show in the image was

blue-purple-indigo-black

with violet/ lilac being a light purple, however indigo being a ver very very dark purple.

So that rhaegar and fAegon eyes are in the oposite spectrum of the color purple. with faegon's being nearly dark blue and rhaegar's being very dark purple. If grrm uses this spectrum instead of what you are thinking the their eyes are very diferent.

8 minutes ago, divica said:

In the net I also didn t find a consensus on what is indigo but what I wanted to show in the image was

blue-purple-indigo-black

with violet/ lilac being a light purple, however indigo being a ver very very dark purple.

So that rhaegar and fAegon eyes are in the oposite spectrum of the color purple. with faegon's being nearly dark blue and rhaegar's being very dark purple. If grrm uses this spectrum instead of what you are thinking the their eyes are very diferent.

I have a growing idea on that. He is a stand in Aegon of Ice to the Real Aegon of Fire that died in K.L., so he's a stand in for the Three Heads of Rhaegar's dragon. 

He will be switching sides with Tyrion over to a different Three headed group Cersei, Jamie, and Tyrion. Who like F/Aegon is a child of Ice and Fire. Tryion through Aerys II and Joanna his Ice side. Faegon got his fire from Blackfyre side, but his Ice from his Bracken side.

So each side will be balanced. Fire, Fire, Ice vs Ice, Ice, Fire.

16 minutes ago, divica said:

blue-purple-indigo-black

Tyrion tells us that Aegon's blue hair serves to emphasize the blue of Aegon's eyes rather than the purple.  We don't know what spectrum GRRM is using but dark blue/purple is a shade of indigo and dark purple is also described as indigo. That's very annoying of Martin, don't you think?  That means you and I can argue shades of blue-purple and whether or not it's indigo. 

9 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Tyrion tells us that Aegon's blue hair serves to emphasize the blue of Aegon's eyes rather than the purple.  We don't know what spectrum GRRM is using but dark blue/purple is a shade of indigo and dark purple is also described as indigo. That's very annoying of Martin, don't you think?  That means you and I can argue shades of blue-purple and whether or not it's indigo. 

I completly agree.

But when I read both our quotes:

Danny says rhaegar eyes are are dark indigo and not lilac. And lilac is a light purple.

Then jon con says rhaegar eyes were deep purple, daker than aegon's which are something between purple and blue.

I think it hints more toward indigo being dark purple, but it isn t 100% explicit so you might be right.

ps In your spectrum how do you diferentiate lilac and indigo? 

2 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Where does he say this?

"Your father's lands are beautiful," he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy's. "As do I, Your Grace. Please, be seated. Ser Rolly, we'll have no further need of you for now."

in A Dance with Dragons - The Griffin Reborn

ps jon con is remembering his talk with rhaegar that says "Your father's lands are beautiful,"

1 minute ago, divica said:

in A Dance with Dragons - The Griffin Reborn

That's interesting he's comparing father to son.

A Dance with Dragons - The Griffin Reborn

Prince Aegon Targaryen was not near as biddable as the boy Young Griff had been, however. The better part of an hour had passed before he finally turned up in the solar, with Duck at his side. "Lord Connington," he said, "I like your castle."

"No, I want Duck to stay." The prince sat. "We've been talking with Strickland and Flowers. They told us about this attack on Storm's End that you're planning."

Rhaegar's eyes are only a deeper purple than the boys.

That's interesting he's comparing father to son.

Rhaegar's eyes are only a deeper purple than the boys.

No, they were darker than the boy's. In addition they were deep purple (which I don t associate with dark blue/light purple). And from danny we know that rhaegar's eyes aren t lilac which I associate with light purple and are dark indigo.

All the clues together to me it seems that rhaegar's eyes were very purple (deep puprple), aren t light purple (lilac) and are at the very least somewhat dark purple. That is why when danny says his eyes are indigo to me it seems she is saying they are very dark purple. It is what makes sense with all the clues.

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Yes, I saw I was in error and posted the quote.   A thousand apologies.  However, I do appreciate a good straightening out and your correcting my understanding of your original post.  That's why I like to ask rather than state!  You also bring up a good point about Edric's nick name and how it relates to the general Dayne feeling toward Ned Stark.   Good job explaining the possible reason for Allyria's supposed "hiding".   

Aha, that's OK! I know sometimes that I can type too quickly and not make myself clear enough. I am also a run-on sentence fiend when I'm typing on the fly, which really doesn't help. :blush:

RE: Ned Dayne. Given that Ned Stark was also supposedly the one who killed Arthur in the combat at ToJ (personally, I think our LCM was the one who actually did it to save Ned) but then went to Starfall to return Dawn and "face the music", that probably helped seal in the minds of the Daynes that Ned was a great man of honour. Together with the possibility that he might have helped our Ashara - or have been the "almost-guy" of her life - it really does seem that he left an impression on little Ned Dayne's dad.

...There was a lot of Neds in that paragraph!

For all it's worth, I don't really think there are any twins.  Kids born in close chronology to each other, but not twins.   I think Dany is Rhaella and Aerys' child.  Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's child.  Faegon is likely Illyrio and Sera's child.  Meera and Jojen are Howland's children with Dyana.  Allyria is just the right age in the right place to be Ashara and ?'s child.  I'm not married to it by any stretch of the imagination. 

Me neither. The only "twin theory" I ever remotely enjoyed was one from the heresy thread where they argued the evidence that our LCM had a romance with Lyanna and she conceived just before being taken by Rhaegar with the result being Jon and Meera. I don't believe it for a one second but it was very well-written and was more convincing than any other twin theory out there, which says a lot about the twin theories!

I've not overly invested in the notion that Allyria is some secret child of Ashara and "a Stark" but, in a way, it would be a nice easter egg if she is mentioned by some other Dornish noble with them calling her "Allyria Horseface" or something.

I've got History of Westeros playing, asearchoficeandfire, wiki and the interactive map open in an effort to curb my misstatements.  You were pretty fast in replying.   Do you also have an arsenal of information at your fingertips or have you committed it all to memory? 

Oooooo snap! I have AHoW playing in the background! I have the search and wiki bookmarked though I do genuinely have a good memory for this sort of thing so I do just remember off the top of my head, which is actually kinda sad. If someone pulls a quote that I don't remember, I usually get my kindle to look at it in context.

The thing that befuddles me a lot is locations and distances. For example, it was due to those maps I really started to scratch my head a bit about the abduction of Lyanna and why she was in that location when taken. I'm still trying to work it out but to bring it back to the LCM -- I wonder if he returned to the Isle of Faces after the tourney was over? Did his friendship with Lyanna and Benjen continue as much as it did with Ned? Is there any credence to the idea that he didn't just wander off into the tourney or was there on a mission?

(Personally, I hope the former -- it ties nicely into the ideas we were hashing out that Meera is every inch her father's daughter, as she can be incredibly wistful and starry-eyed too. I like to think Howland genuinely is like this too.)

14 minutes ago, divica said:

No, they were darker than the boy's. In addition they were deep purple (which I don t associate with dark blue/light purple). And from danny we know that rhaegar's eyes aren t lilac which I associate with light purple and are dark indigo.

All the clues together to me it seems that rhaegar's eyes were very purple (deep puprple), aren t light purple (lilac) and are at the very least somewhat dark purple. That is why when danny says his eyes are indigo to me it seems she is saying they are very dark purple. It is what makes sense with all the clues.

That doesn't mean he's not Rhaegar's son.  Tyrion doesn't say Aegon's eyes are blue/light purple.  He says they are a blue so dark that they appear purple in a certain light.  He also says that his blue hair emphasizes the blue (rather than the purple) as means of disguising the boy's eye color.  All JonCon says is that Rhaegar's eyes are darker than the boys.

18 minutes ago, LynnS said:

That doesn't mean he's not Rhaegar's son.  Tyrion doesn't say Aegon's eyes are blue/light purple.  He says they are a blue so dark that they appear purple in a certain light.  He also says that his blue hair emphasizes the blue (rather than the purple) as means of disguising the boy's eye color.  

I agree. However for the eyes to seem blue there must be some blue in them (I think).

So using the spectrum blue-purple-indigo-black and tyrion's observations and jon con coment about his eyes being lighter than rhaegar it is is a good assumption is eyes are light purple enough to seem blue in certain scenarios.

That is why I said that from what we know so far is very probable that rhaegar's and aegon's eyes are in the oposite sides of the spectrum of the color purple. But how much light purple aegon's eyes are? we don t know but I think there are enough hints to say they are probably light purple...

11 minutes ago, Faera said:

The thing that befuddles me a lot is locations and distances. For example, it was due to those maps I really started to scratch my head a bit about the abduction of Lyanna and why she was in that location when taken. I'm still trying to work it out but to bring it back to the LCM -- I wonder if he returned to the Isle of Faces after the tourney was over? Did his friendship with Lyanna and Benjen continue as much as it did with Ned? Is there any credence to the idea that he didn't just wander off into the tourney or was there on a mission?

I've given up trying to figure out the distances, personally. It's a headache. But what I know is that 50 leagues away from Harrenhal is not the God's Eye.

As far as the LCM goes, I think he really just stumbled upon the tourney. It's fortuitous, really, and I know Meera seems to imply that it was his choice to leave then, but the whole thing is so well timed with the tourney, that I have to wonder if it was entirely his decision to leave then.

36 minutes ago, divica said:

And illyrion is so fond of fAegon why? and the GC betrayed their contract to support Aegon why?

Short answer: fAegon and Illyrio are relatives. And GC is loyal to Blackfyres, and fAegon is a Blackfyre.

Long answer: in chronological order (it's all just a theory!):

Golden Company not only was created by Bittersteel, but they were also always loyal to Blackfyres. For the past 40 years they worked for many various employers, but their sole real masters were always Blackfyres.

Barristan Selmy was born between Great Council and Third Rebellion. His mother came to Westeros together with Aenys Blackfyre. She was either his sister, or niece, or daughter. Now she's using name Quaithe. She's using magic to sustain her life. Probably she is close to 100 years old, but she looks much younger. She's using same method as Serenei of Lys.

In 281 Barristan Selmy saved Jeyne Swann from Kingswood Brotherhood. But actually this attack was staged by Jeyne. She just wanted to get from Barristan his Blackfyre genes. House Swann, same as House Selmy, and many other marchen lords, were supporters of Blackfyres. That's why Aenys, prior going to KL, left his relative in Selmy's castle. That's why Barristan in his childhood served as squire to Manfred Swann. They were from the same circle - loyalists of Blackfyres.

Barristan knows who his mother was, that's why he became interested in Targaryens. And when he met them, he liked them, and decided to be their supporter, same as Lord Bloodraven. Lady Jeyne gave birth to Young Griff at approximately same time as was born Aegon, son of Elia Martell.

And after death of Targaryen family, Blackfyres decided to use children of Targaryens to seize Iron Throne. Though Blackfyres are devided into several factions - let's call them Blood and Fire. Blood faction wants to use magic to get to Iron Throne. Their representative is Quaithe. And she's using Daenerys Targaryen and her dragons, to get to her goal. Fire faction is against magic, and they prefer to use military power to get to Iron Throne. Their representative is Varys. The reason why he hates magic is obvious. That's also the reason why he didn't supported Daenerys and her claim of Iron Throne. Varys from the very beginning used fAegon as his pet project. He forced Jayne Swann to give away her baby, to be raised as fAegon, for the greater good of Blackfyres. She agreed to it, only if he will let her later join with fAegon as his companion. Varys chosen Jayne's son to pose as Aegon, because the boy had blood of Targaryens (thru his half-Blackfyre father Barristan), had blond hair and same eye color as real Aegon, and also they were of approximately the same age.

Septa Lemore/Jeyne Swann has brown hair. Same as Balon Swann. Who is probably her younger brother, or her nephew.

When Jon Con was exiled to Essos, shortly after that he joined GC. My guess is that Varys and Illyrio decided how to use him, immediately after death of Aegon. Thus they sent Myles Toyne (one of captain-general of GC) to befriend with Jon Con, and convince him to join GC. They needed some time to get to know him, and to decide whether they will be able to trick him into believing that fAegon is really son of Rhaegar.

"The exiled Jon joined the Golden Company[6][11] and served with them for five years, rising quickly in the ranks to a place of honor at the right hand of Ser Myles Toyne, the company's captain-general.

After a few short years in the company, Jon and Myles were approached by Illyrio Mopatis and Lord Varys, who informed them that Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's infant son, Aegon, had survived the Sack of King's Landing during Robert's Rebellion.[6] In order to remove Jon from the Golden Company, they concocted a plan, of which the remainder of the Golden Company was left unaware, so they would not be able to let anything slip. Jon was driven from the company after being caught stealing from the company's war chests. Afterwards, news was spread that Jon drank himself to death in Lys.[11]

While Jon went along with Varys's scheme for Prince Aegon's sake, he believed it a dishonorable slight and resented the shameful lie of his death. Varys, however, was adamant about the need for secrecy.[11] The rumors of Jon's disgrace and death eventually reached Westeros and convinced everyone that he was dead,[22][23] enabling him to focus on raising and protecting "Young Griff" in the guise of his father, "Griff", during the past twelve years.[11]

Probably this plan with Jon's removal from GC was made to trick Quaithe. Because Quaithe and Varys had different opinions about how they should use what they have. Maybe Quaithe wanted to give Dany and Viserys to be raised by Jon Con. But Varys planned to use Jon Con to raise for Blackfyres fAegon.

Viserys and Daenerys were brought to Essos by Willem Darry. There they were visited by Oberyn Martell, who signed with Willem a pact, according to which Viserys was going to get married with Arianne Martell. But when Dany was five years old, Willem became sick and died. After Jon Con joined GC and was approached by Varys and Illyrio, also passed five years. So it seems that Willem Darry was poisoned by Varys or Illyrio. It was Quaithe's plan to marry Viserys and Arianne Martell, and use Daenerys to hatch dragon eggs, but Varys wanted to marry Arianne Martell to fAegon, and thus Quaithe and Varys clashed. By killing Willem Darry, Varys took away Dany and Viserys from Quaithe's influence. Then he went to Jon Con and gave him fAegon.

One of hints from GRRM, that supports this theory is that Jon Con joined GC because of Myles Toyne. Leader of Kingswood Brotherhood, from whose attack Barristan saved Lady Jayne, was Simon Toyne. GRRM could have used any name of any House, but he used House Toyne in both cases. Also sigil of House Toyne is black heart with black wings <- looks like a hint to Blackfyres, Black Dragons.

2 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

I've given up trying to figure out the distances, personally. It's a headache. But what I know is that 50 leagues away from Harrenhal is not the God's Eye.

That's what always bugged me -- why was she there in the first place? If she was not 50 leagues from Harrenhal when Rhaegar fell upon her, where was she coming from? If she was coming from Winterfell, shouldn't she have been on the River Road or still on the Kingsroad on her way to Riverrun? (I'm guessing she was going to the wedding...) Instead, she ended up south-east. I'm guessing she had an entourage who she would have needed to come up with an excuse for why they were there to even if she'd agreed to meet Rhaegar ahead of time.

7 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

As far as the LCM goes, I think he really just stumbled upon the tourney. It's fortuitous, really, and I know Meera seems to imply that it was his choice to leave then, but the whole thing is so well timed with the tourney, that I have to wonder if it was entirely his decision to leave then.

I hope so. While the idea that Howland is some special agent of the Green Men sent to carry out a task is compelling, there is something really natural about the idea that he just... wandered in. He might have heard something was going on and just decided to have a look. There seems to be something wistful about young Howland, (almost like a Disney princess song, dreaming of adventure in the great, wide world!), that I could believe curiosity got the better of him.

30 minutes ago, Faera said:

Aha, that's OK! I know sometimes that I can type too quickly and not make myself clear enough. I am also a run-on sentence fiend when I'm typing on the fly, which really doesn't help. :blush:

RE: Ned Dayne. Given that Ned Stark was also supposedly the one who killed Arthur in the combat at ToJ (personally, I think our LCM was the one who actually did it to save Ned) but then went to Starfall to return Dawn and "face the music", that probably helped seal in the minds of the Daynes that Ned was a great man of honour. Together with the possibility that he might have helped our Ashara - or have been the "almost-guy" of her life - it really does seem that he left an impression on little Ned Dayne's dad.

...There was a lot of Neds in that paragraph!

Me neither. The only "twin theory" I ever remotely enjoyed was one from the heresy thread where they argued the evidence that our LCM had a romance with Lyanna and she conceived just before being taken by Rhaegar with the result being Jon and Meera. I don't believe it for a one second but it was very well-written and was more convincing than any other twin theory out there, which says a lot about the twin theories!

I've not overly invested in the notion that Allyria is some secret child of Ashara and "a Stark" but, in a way, it would be a nice easter egg if she is mentioned by some other Dornish noble with them calling her "Allyria Horseface" or something.

Oooooo snap! I have AHoW playing in the background! I have the search and wiki bookmarked though I do genuinely have a good memory for this sort of thing so I do just remember off the top of my head, which is actually kinda sad. If someone pulls a quote that I don't remember, I usually get my kindle to look at it in context.

(Personally, I hope the former -- it ties nicely into the ideas we were hashing out that Meera is every inch her father's daughter, as she can be incredibly wistful and starry-eyed too. I like to think Howland genuinely is like this too.)

I usually just misspell everything when I'm speed typing! 

I read once that HR may have thrown a net on AD or shot him with a poison dart.   I'm hearing an echo of a memory that Ned doesn't ever tell the tale of killing AD.  Then of course we do have that entirely alternate scenario from the other medium.  Could it be that Ned didn't actually smite the Sword of the Morning himself?   That would elevate Ned's honor in my eyes, not that it needed to be.  Nice. 

HR + LS?  That might be new, too.   I sure hope not.   We may get a bit more of Allyria when Areo Hotah comes for a visit with his snake and swan.   I'm not sold, but I am keeping it in my back pocket.   Be very aware of Dornish girls with grey eyes and long faces! 

That's very funny.  I have just about finished both of the Dayne programs and it's been good company during this discussion.   I did not learn anything new, but they do a wonderful job putting a lot of information together in a cohesive manner.  Alas, I have a terrible memory so I rely heavily on the tools.   I also just happen to have a bitchen timeline that calculates distance.   It isn't 100% accurate, but it tells you when it knows it's wrong.  It helped enormously in the Brienne topic.   Quite an eye opener.   Let me know if you want it for your arsenal.  I got the distinct impression that our LCM wanted to see the world or go home after Harrenhal.   Anything is possible without information.   

Archived