NFL 2017 Championship: The Whiff Six

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

Not so fast there... Asante Samuel had a good career in Philly after leaving the Pats (and letting Super Bowl 42 slip through his hands). Chris Long and LeGarrette Blount are doing well in Philly now. And Chandler Jones is doing great in Arizona.

Why don't you go fuck a tree?

BECAUSE YOU'RE A NUT!

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

But seriously, I told you last year that I thought Sheard would be good. What do you think of him now?

Honestly? I couldn't tell ya man. I wasn't processing nothin'. I've heard tales of strong defensive performances along the line, but Jace doesn't remember a damn thing. I was gettin' fucked up from wakeup and could barely stomach the putrid schemes, let alone gauge the talent. The entire squad was just nonsensical floundering from my vantage point. I was really into Malik Hooker until he went out and the overall defensive performance didn't change in the least.

I'm just along for the ride at this point.

ESPN has a list of best teams not to win the Super Bowl.  But unlike previous versions of this list I've seen, each team can only be on the list once.  Which makes for some really odd choices towards the bottom of the list. 

I can't quibble with too much of the top of the list.  I'm surprised the 1968 Cowboys are ahead of the 1994 Cowboys, but since I don't know anything about football back in the 60s I can't really argue against it. 

The only really bad choice I see is putting the 2007 Packers ahead of the 2011 Packers.  Both teams lost to the Giants (just like New England did!) but that 2007 Packers team wasn't really all that special.  They went 13-3 in the regular season, and Favre was still throwing a lot of picks, and their defense was average.  The 2011 Packers were just steamrolling the league, they went 15-1, Rodgers was more efficient than any quarterback had ever been.  They were combining high scoring with virtually no turnovers which is a scary combination to beat.  But the Giants postseason magic once again proved impervious to regular season reality. 

48 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

ESPN has a list of best teams not to win the Super Bowl.  But unlike previous versions of this list I've seen, each team can only be on the list once.  Which makes for some really odd choices towards the bottom of the list. 

I can't quibble with too much of the top of the list.  I'm surprised the 1968 Cowboys are ahead of the 1994 Cowboys, but since I don't know anything about football back in the 60s I can't really argue against it. 

The only really bad choice I see is putting the 2007 Packers ahead of the 2011 Packers.  Both teams lost to the Giants (just like New England did!) but that 2007 Packers team wasn't really all that special.  They went 13-3 in the regular season, and Favre was still throwing a lot of picks, and their defense was average.  The 2011 Packers were just steamrolling the league, they went 15-1, Rodgers was more efficient than any quarterback had ever been.  They were combining high scoring with virtually no turnovers which is a scary combination to beat.  But the Giants postseason magic once again proved impervious to regular season reality. 

The 1982 Jets are a really weird choice. It was before my time, but everything I've seen is that was a totally normal, slightly above average team in a strike-shortened year. With the conceit of the list being that every team needs to be represented once and only once, I think some place in the middle, around #15, sounds reasonable for the Jets team. But it should be the 1998 Jets. That was the really good Bill Parcells team that went 12-4, won the division, beat a solid Jaguars team but fell to the buzzsaw that was the 1998 Denver Broncos.

Arguably the 2010 (though not 2009) Jets team should also be ahead of the 1982 team. Yes it was Mark Sanchez as QB, but that defense was rock solid. And that playoff season was magical, beating the Patriots in Foxoboro and Colts in Indy before losing in Pittsburg by 5.

Starting 2019, the Redskins will have both the most racist name and the most racist logo in US professional sports!

Bowing to pressure from Native American advocacy groups and MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred, the Cleveland Indians will stop using the Chief Wahoo logo on their uniforms starting in 2019.

This must be what winning the offseason looks like. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

If they rebranded to the Cleveland Natives that would be a PR coup. And I don't know why Snyder isn't excited at the chance to change the team name. You get all kinds of left wing praise and you get to SELL THE NEW NAME!!!! Pay Kirk Cousins and change the fucking name! The merch will literally sell itself!

37 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If they rebranded to the Cleveland Natives that would be a PR coup. And I don't know why Snyder isn't excited at the chance to change the team name. You get all kinds of left wing praise and you get to SELL THE NEW NAME!!!! Pay Kirk Cousins and change the fucking name! The merch will literally sell itself!

It would, but it would also provide a complete break with the earlier era, when the Redskins were a well run team.  In the first 26 Super Bowls, the Redskins won five NFC titles and three Super Bowls.  In the second 26 Super Bowls (of which Snyder has owned the team for ~20 years), zero Super Bowls, zero NFC titles, zero NFC conference game appearances. 

On 1/26/2018 at 5:06 PM, Kalbear said:

Alternately, there's nothing worthwhile in Minneapolis worth saving any more

:spank:

On 1/26/2018 at 5:13 PM, Red Tiger said:

..... @Tywin et al. move somewhere else, the bear has a point.

Lies! Fake News! SAD! 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

:tantrum:

:fencing:

Jace--->:bowdown::whip:<---Tywin

You wanna dance pretty boy?

Jace                     Ty

:bowdown::rofl::whip:

Ty        Jace

:box:

Ty

:bawl:

Jace

:leaving:

Rock

:commie:

Ty

:agree:

Jace

:ph34r:

Ty          DanteG

:smileysex:

Jace

:o

Jace  JaimeL

:cheers:

6 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I feel like they didn't include the 2011 team because they were dominated so easily by that Giants team in the playoffs, and that was basically because their defense was well below average despite their 15-1 record... and it's a ESPN list so tie goes to Favre.

Giants won the bowl despite having a -6 point differential during the year. I forgot just how incredibly mediocre they were during the regular season.

Alright boys, let's see if we can spark a discussion.

Who's one impending FA on your team that you'd like to see come back. And I don't mean the Le'Veon Bells of the world.

Someone maybe other fans don't really know that well.

I'll offer Dante Moncrief on offense.

Sure, anyone who plays the fantasy ball knows the name. But Moncrief has been an interesting talent since day one, coming out of Ole Miss as a talented route runner but a headcase. 4 years later he's had an inconclusive Colts career. He's big, and he's athletic and fast. He looks like REggie Wayne but runs like Terrell Owens. Big and powerful strides that chew up yardage like he's walking to the car.

But he runs routes like Reggie did, and that's something Owens had the talent to do but never the commitment to scheme required to execute.

So why isn't Moncrief a top-15 fantasy pick every year? Injuries.

That and scheme, of course. See, the Colts have a historically respectable tradition of blocking from the WR's. Reggie Wayne and Marvin Harrison perfected a talent for delivering effective blocks without getting beat up in the process. They basically just tried to keep their torsos in front of the DB's and only on screens or sweeps actually went out and initiated traditional handfighting.

It was effective for two reasons. It kind of weirdly reduced contact by just letting the DB's feel like they were controlling the engagement while in fact being blocked and allowed the blocker to keep his legs directly under him. And it kept holds by WR's really rare.

I assume whoever taught Reggie and Marvin that technique survived the purge of 2012 or else the teachings lived on in Reggie because Moncrief and T.Y. show this technique regularly.

Which gets us back to injuries. Moncrief is big like Reggie but moves like T.O. The problem is that T.O. is a lot bigger than Reggie Wayne and Dante Moncrief. Someone (Chudzinski and Pat Hamilton) got it in their stupid fucking heads to constantly tuck their exceptionally athletic possession receiver inside the numbers and send him over the middle INCESSANTLY. 

It's no wonder the dude kept getting fucked up. He weighs like a generous 220 on a tall 6'2" frame and yet these playcallers treated him in ways Jason Witten would have balked at. Seriously, the ACTUAL TE's went over the middle to get brainfucked by LB's less than Moncrief.

The running schemes were so bland and lazily composed that the fucktards in the offensive staff realized that their only hope was to add more bodies in to block! "That frenchy fuck is big" said somebody.

"Eh... Tall." Said another.

"Good enough" Said Pat Sumerall.

The amount of times I saw Dante Moncrief throw his brain into the facemask of a man who outweighed him by thirty pounds makes me uncomfortable to acknowledge. The fact that it was generally to the tune of a 1 yard gain somehow makes it worse.

So here's this guy. Who's big. But mostly tallish. Who has been sent into the thick of the hellscape to catch errant passes from men trying to protect their very souls from the unrelenting pass rush.

Is there a surprise that he kept getting fucked up?

Here's my hope. I hope he stays a year. On a reasonable prove-it contract. Let him look healthy and play in McDaniels' system. Let's see how he looks when his ungodly talents are put to use.

There's only one physical specimen that I've seen who could play WR like Terrell Owens. And that was Randy Moss. 

I'm just sayin', we saw once Randy Moss in Josh McDaniels' system.

I'm not saying that's what Moncrief is capable of. I'm just saying that I want to find out.

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You wanna dance pretty boy?

Jace                     Ty

:bowdown::rofl::whip:

Ty        Jace

:box:

Ty

:bawl:

Jace

:leaving:

Rock

:commie:

Ty

:agree:

Jace

:ph34r:

Ty          DanteG

:smileysex:

Jace

:o

Jace  JaimeL

:cheers:

Lol, well played.

Also, are you saying that @DanteGabriel will always be there to pick me up?

And is @Jaime L a lush?

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

Yeah, if I remember that Packers team was totally on fire on offense all year but had a D that might have forced turnovers but gave up yards too and was a bend-don't-break and play with fire unit to the point that it was surprising that they managed to go 15-1.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I feel like they didn't include the 2011 team because they were dominated so easily by that Giants team in the playoffs, and that was basically because their defense was well below average despite their 15-1 record... and it's a ESPN list so tie goes to Favre.

Giants won the bowl despite having a -6 point differential during the year. I forgot just how incredibly mediocre they were during the regular season.

The Packers went 15-1 and 10 of their 15 wins were by more than a touchdown.  They scored 38 points in a win @NYG in week 13.  But the offense looked off from the start against the Giants in the divisional game, they dropped nine passes in the game, had three fumbles (all lost) and gave up a hail mary touchdown to end the first half.  Doesn't change the fact that they were a really powerful team that year. 

Archived