u.s. politics: abortive cure for labor pains

all swedes are racist

43 minutes ago, Mexal said:

In other news, Trump is unraveling.

I'm not sure that counts as unraveling. It's widely known that the last person in the room with Trump can completely influence his opinions on just about any issue. 

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not sure that counts as unraveling. It's widely known that the last person in the room with Trump can completely influence his opinions on just about any issue. 

So the people in the school safety meeting convinced Trump to announce the tariffs? The point is the CEOs were against the tariffs and he was agreeing. Then he went away and came back and did the opposite. At least that's what I thought happened.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

So the people in the school safety meeting convinced Trump to announce the tariffs? The point is the CEOs were against the tariffs and he was agreeing. Then he went away and came back and did the opposite. At least that's what I thought happened.

Who stood beside him in the next urinal over? 

This is just getting ridiculous now. FBI counterintel investigating Ivanka Trump business deal. This is why you sell everything when entering the WH.

US counterintelligence officials are scrutinizing one of Ivanka Trump's international business deals, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The FBI has been looking into the negotiations and financing surrounding Trump International Hotel and Tower in Vancouver, according to a US official and a former US official. The scrutiny could be a hurdle for the first daughter as she tries to obtain a full security clearance in her role as adviser to President Donald Trump.

It's standard procedure to probe foreign contacts and international business deals as part of a background check investigation. But the complexity of the Trump Organization's business deals, which often rely on international financing and buyers, presents a challenge.
The FBI has been looking closely at the international business entanglements of both Ivanka Trump and her husband, Jared Kushner, to determine whether any of those deals could leave them vulnerable to pressure from foreign agents, including China, according to a US official.

The development -- a 616-foot beacon dotting the Vancouver skyline and featuring a trademarked Ivanka Trump spa -- opened in February 2017, just after Trump took office.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

On a more serious note, CNBC is interviewing former Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan.

He is warning stagflation is on the way.

I'm not sure what to make of that. He was one of the blind laissez-fairies who were totally shocked! when the GFC hit and was all like "No one saw that coming! I thought by not having control we had everything under control."

Is he actually paying attention now and clearly seeing bad times ahead, or is he just making shit up?

2 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

So, basically what you're saying is that by the end of Trump's first term, the only people that will be left in the White House are Trump, Javanka, the Bobs, and a bunch of Miltons down in the WH basement complaining about their Swinglines and threatening to burn the place down? Right on!

Some local news, with national implications (maybe), but I found it amusing

Maryland may require future presidential candidates to make their tax returns public to appear on state ballot

:lol:

But I'm not going to hold my breath. I figure the odds of it passing are slim and the odds of our Republican gov signing it none.

Maryland could be the first state to enact such a requirement.

California and New Jersey passed similar bills, but they were vetoed.

Hawaii's House and Senate passed proposals last year, but both bills died after Hawaii's attorney general raised concerns about potential lawsuits.

So much for congress doing something, anything, no matter how small, about guns THIS time.  Nope.  Nada. Zip. Nothing can be done.  So off for the weekend to charge the batteries for repealing all regulations on financial corps which can be done, yes, thank you, very much.

21 minutes ago, unpaid comintern said:

someone tell me it’s because the other 3bn is being given as a grant 

Yeah, Walmart has already promised to use it to hire 3 new employees.

13 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So much for congress doing something, anything, no matter how small, about guns THIS time.  Nope.  Nada. Zip. Nothing can be done.  So off for the weekend to charge the batteries for repealing all regulations on financial corps which can be done, yes, thank you, very much.

Beautiful, isn't it? I feel like Batman watching Morgan Freeman freak out at the sonar phone setup in The Dark Knight.

22 minutes ago, unpaid comintern said:

Please pay attention. Jared Kushner needs a few billion in loans.

30 minutes ago, unpaid comintern said:

This is because the Republicans haven't realized yet if they don't fix Puerto Rico all the Puerto Ricans will be forced to move to the mainland and then finally be able to vote in elections.

49 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Some local news, with national implications (maybe), but I found it amusing

Similar laws have been passed in New Jersey and California, then vetoed.  Jerry Brown's reasoning is why if any state does sign such a bill into law, it will immediately be challenged in court, and almost assuredly shot down by the current SCOTUS given Kennedy''s libertarian bent:

“While I recognize the political attractiveness – even the merits – of getting President Trump’s tax returns, I worry about the political perils of individual states seeking to regulate presidential elections in this manner,” Brown wrote in a veto message. “First, it may not be constitutional. Second, it sets a ‘slippery slope’ precedent. Today we require tax returns, but what would be next? Five years of health records? A certified birth certificate? High school report cards? And will these requirements vary depending on which political party is in power?”

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Actually I think tariffs are a rather unique case, or the exception that proves that rule.  As has been pointed out, Trump has been fighting almost his entire staff on this for the entire presidency, and will get his damn tariffs, come what may:

Remember we wrote that story last August giving the fly on the wall account of the Oval Office meeting where Trump told Kelly and staff:

“I want tariffs! Bring me tariffs!”

Well, it’s March 2018, and Trump hasn’t changed his views one iota. He wants his tariffs and darn it, he’ll have them. The only two senior officials telling Trump this is a good idea are Wilbur Ross and Peter Navarro. 

40 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I feel like Batman watching Morgan Freeman freak out at the sonar phone setup in The Dark Knight.

So, if I'm following, you think Congress refusing to act on gun control is as cool as using sonar to image all of Gotham?  Even for you, that's sick.

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Actually I think tariffs are a rather unique case, or the exception that proves that rule.  As has been pointed out, Trump has been fighting almost his entire staff on this for the entire presidency, and will get his damn tariffs, come what may:

1 hour ago, dmc515 said:

Remember we wrote that story last August giving the fly on the wall account of the Oval Office meeting where Trump told Kelly and staff:

“I want tariffs! Bring me tariffs!”

Well, it’s March 2018, and Trump hasn’t changed his views one iota. He wants his tariffs and darn it, he’ll have them. The only two senior officials telling Trump this is a good idea are Wilbur Ross and Peter Navarro. 

And you know what, it's the one thing a lot of people on the left reluctantly praise Trump for, because protectionism = great idea that totally works to many on the left. Except they're wrong.

Trump is calling McMaster's ouster to be fake news though.

Last month, the New York Times reported that Mattis was alarmed by McMaster’s aggressiveness on the North Korean front:

After General McMaster left the room, Mr. Mattis and Mr. Tillerson continued to speak, not realizing that other participants were still on the line. The officials familiar with the matter overheard them complaining about a series of meetings that the National Security Council had set up to consider options for North Korea — signs, Mr. Tillerson said, that it was becoming overly aggressive.

…While General McMaster also favors a diplomatic solution to the impasse, officials said, he emphasizes to colleagues that past efforts to negotiate with North Korea have forced the United States to make unacceptable concessions.

The Pentagon has a different view. Mr. Mattis and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., argue forcefully for using diplomacy.

Report: H.R. McMaster to Be Fired – at Kelly and Mattis’s Behest

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/report-mcmaster-to-be-fired-at-kelly-and-mattiss-behest.html

48 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

So, if I'm following, you think Congress refusing to act on gun control is as cool as using sonar to image all of Gotham?  Even for you, that's sick.

Ooh, shots fired!

It looks like you aren't even following the moral lessons of that story.

Even for you, that's possessed of ill humor.

Archived