Tennis Volume 7: Roger That!

Mladen

I have awoken, and am following this tournament.

1st round conclusions? Easy wins for Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Del Potro, Zverev.

Stan the Man easily dismissed Dimitrov in 3 sets, very good. Murray is back but a long way from his best form.

1 hour ago, Leap said:

Hope Fed wins this one. I've been waiting for a Fed/Djoko match up for ages now since AO2017, and it's such a shame that it had to happen like the Cinci match. Still, he's had a lot of time off this year so rust is to be expected, hopefully hot hard court brings out his best. 

I know Djokovic made history and all of that, but Cinci match was so bad... I do hope Fedex will bring his A-game to US Open.

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

As far as I can see, the only particularly interesting thing is the French lady being given a code violation for changing her shirt whilst not sat in the chair

I know right? So scandalous! We saw a woman's sports bra in 2018. How will we ever recover!!! At least the had the decency to take away the skin tight suit though!!! 

:tantrum:

31 minutes ago, Risto said:

I know Djokovic made history and all of that, but Cinci match was so bad... I do hope Fedex will bring his A-game to US Open.

What happened? I only follow the slams. 

8 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

What happened? I only follow the slams. 

Djokovic became the first and so far the only man in history to have won all the Masters 1000 tournaments, 

On 8/29/2018 at 9:22 PM, Leap said:

Did you guys see that Shapovalov Jordan-backhand the other day?

Hope Fed wins this one. I've been waiting for a Fed/Djoko match up for ages now since AO2017, and it's such a shame that it had to happen like the Cinci match. Still, he's had a lot of time off this year so rust is to be expected, hopefully hot hard court brings out his best. 

I can tell you tjat Shapovalov is one of the most exciting 3 players on Tour for me, and that says a lot about him.

He's a sensational player. Obvioulsy I wasn't around at the time but he seems like a modern version of what it would be like to see a very young John Mc Enroe or Jimmy Connors make his entrance to the Tour. He's inconsistent so far but such a beautiful player.

23 hours ago, Risto said:

Federer had a complete off game in that final and just tossed the towel. Bad game indeed.

Women's draw looking like it could break open again, top two seeds (Halep, Wozniacki) out and they were two of the Slam winners this year. Seeds 3 and 4, Kerber and Stephens, don't exactly have easy matches coming up either with Azarenka and Cibulkova as dangerous floaters in the draw.

Back to the Djokovic like/dislike issue. I was originally quite the Federer fan, but became frustrated at his inability to beat Nadal in the big tournaments, particularly at Wimbledon which was Federer's preferred surface. Then Djokovic came along and started kicking Nadal's ass which made him a quick favorite in my book.

This coincided with Federer kind of fading into the background for a number of years, and then Djokovic hit his amazing run of victories, racing to like 11 Grand Slams in a couple of years. Now that Federer has returned out of the blue I must admit it initially caused some conflicted loyalities for me. But from a cost/benefit point of view it seems like Djokovic has a longer run of wins ahead of him than Federer, so I think my switch to the Joker is a permanent one.

Federer had his chance, but let that pesky Nadal beat him one too many times when it mattered. At least Djokovic put Rafa back in his place, and does it on a consistent basis. Now my hope is that Djokovic overtakes Nadal in the overall Grand Slam tally. Which is still in the realm of possibility.

1 hour ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Back to the Djokovic like/dislike issue. I was originally quite the Federer fan, but became frustrated at his inability to beat Nadal in the big tournaments, particularly at Wimbledon which was Federer's preferred surface. Then Djokovic came along and started kicking Nadal's ass which made him a quick favorite in my book.

This coincided with Federer kind of fading into the background for a number of years, and then Djokovic hit his amazing run of victories, racing to like 11 Grand Slams in a couple of years. Now that Federer has returned out of the blue I must admit it initially caused some conflicted loyalities for me. But from a cost/benefit point of view it seems like Djokovic has a longer run of wins ahead of him than Federer, so I think my switch to the Joker is a permanent one.

Federer had his chance, but let that pesky Nadal beat him one too many times when it mattered. At least Djokovic put Rafa back in his place, and does it on a consistent basis. Now my hope is that Djokovic overtakes Nadal in the overall Grand Slam tally. Which is still in the realm of possibility.

Yes, but in the last 5 matches, Federer was the one who came out victorious. I think it was more of mental thing for Federer. He convinced himself that Nadal is his kryptonite. 

I would even argue that it was Nadal taking the back seat. Up until 2015, Federer was constantly in the top 3.

IDK, I really can't warm up for Djokovic, regardless of his professional triumphs. 

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Yes, but in the last 5 matches, Federer was the one who came out victorious. I think it was more of mental thing for Federer. He convinced himself that Nadal is his kryptonite. 

I would even argue that it was Nadal taking the back seat. Up until 2015, Federer was constantly in the top 3.

IDK, I really can't warm up for Djokovic, regardless of his professional triumphs. 

Fair point. The current Federer-Nadal contest feels a bit weird to me. It's like two old guys are slugging it out, and the slightly older one is coming out on top, but back when they were both in their prime, the other one used to win.

EDIT

Almost like having McEnroe and Borg face each other now. Will that really make a difference as to which one was better in their prime?

7 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

If your fandom of a person is based entirely around them winning, then you're not a fan.

On the Federer/Nadal thing- I don't think it's that surprising that Federer's started to get more dominant between them as they age, Nadal was always the more physically reliant of the two. I'm actually quite surprised that he's come back the way he has, I thought his injuries were going to be the end of him.

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

On the Federer/Nadal thing- I don't think it's that surprising that Federer's started to get more dominant between them as they age, Nadal was always the more physically reliant of the two. I'm actually quite surprised that he's come back the way he has, I thought his injuries were going to be the end of him.

Yes, it makes sense Federer is better going into his old age. Federer's game is light on his body (compared to Nadal) and he relies on shorter points and winners, which he can still conjure up in his old age. Whereas Nadal is about strength and attrition, and it's actually quite amazing he has kept his levels up. The guy's barely going to be able to walk in his 50s.

Federer continues his string of very strange performances.

a) The very sudden Wimbledon loss to Anderson. First couple of rounds effortless, and then a sudden loss. Seemed like a one-off.

b) Cincininnati. Fairly easy wins until the final against Djokokvic when he just played awful tennis and generated a tremendous amount of unforced errors.

c) US Open. Couple of very easy convincing wins and a sudden defeat by of all people John Millman. Again characterizated by 76 unforced errors in 4 sets.

He is clearly not himself IMO, something is not right in his mindset.

When you think about it, Federer's game is actually not a very high-percentage game. He goes for short points, he relies on winners and quick play, and is always looking to push the envelope in a rally and progress it further (and not just settle into a high-percentage topspin battle of attrition).

For normal human beings, Federer's style of play is a very high-risk game that doesn't always come off, but the genius of the man is that he has somehow made that aggressive, high-risk play as reliable for him as any old baseline clay-courter.

I suppose towards the end of his career it shouldn't be too surprising that it sometimes goes on the blink. So he can look really good one day and then lose it the next.

Archived