Why Does the Political Right And Left Feel the Need to Demonize Each Other ?

GAROVORKIN

40 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Just to clarify. You are, I assume, talking about representatives, or political figures, not voters.

Uh... I was thinking of neo-nazis on the one hand, and Ramsay Bolton on the other.

Ooops, I get the Godwin point for this one, right?

4 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

No Darth  , this thread has not passed the Godwin Threshold just yet :)

Wanna go Full Adolf? I'll be your Eva Braun if it means you take the coward's way out.           

2 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Ahh, I gotcha. I think I mixed up what you were saying, carry on.

The real problem is when we start thinking that Roose is a good alternative because of comparison by degrees.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Do we need to bring in the people from the Heresy thread upstairs to explain how the Others are seriously misunderstood creatures?

Did somebody call?Ah, the Others.I know how it ends-they all live happily ever after.

Organic thread OP.Hey, just go with it!

Tribalism. Which is worse when there are only 2 tribes (political parties) to which to belong. Is this really any different (except by degrees and collateral damage) to DC vs Marvel, Coke vs Pepsi, Xbox vs Playstation vs Nintendo (3 in this case), console vs PC, Betamax vs VHS, Mac vs PC, iPhone vs Android, Greeks vs Trojans, Star Wars vs itself, my football/basketball/hockey/baseball team vs every other team, my religion vs every other religion?

It's all the same bloody us vs them mentality that has beset human relationships since forever.

What makes the political situation noteworthy is that every 2 years (in the USA) you have people out there trying to convince people to vote for them, and some time back it was discovered that talking shit about your opponent is more effective at getting you elected than telling the voters how great and suitable you are. So once negative campaigning was confirmed as an effective approach this pretty much guaranteed an increasingly toxic political environment. I think it is worse int he USA only because you are having elections so often that at any given moment someone is spewing bile about their political opponent at a local, state or national level. So there's never any escaping from the poison.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Tribalism. Which is worse when there are only 2 tribes (political parties) to which to belong. Is this really any different (except by degrees and collateral damage) to DC vs Marvel, Coke vs Pepsi, Xbox vs Playstation vs Nintendo (3 in this case), console vs PC, Betamax vs VHS, Mac vs PC, iPhone vs Android, Greeks vs Trojans, Star Wars vs itself, my football/basketball/hockey/baseball team vs every other team, my religion vs every other religion?

It's all the same bloody us vs them mentality that has beset human relationships since forever.

What makes the political situation noteworthy is that every 2 years (in the USA) you have people out there trying to convince people to vote for them, and some time back it was discovered that talking shit about your opponent is more effective at getting you elected than telling the voters how great and suitable you are. So once negative campaigning was confirmed as an effective approach this pretty much guaranteed an increasingly toxic political environment. I think it is worse int he USA only because you are having elections so often that at any given moment someone is spewing bile about their political opponent at a local, state or national level. So there's never any escaping from the poison.

Negative campaigning is usually more about getting the other side's voters to stay home then getting your own base excited.

And blaming this shit on Tribalism is just completely bullshit people throw out to make themselves feel better then others and above the fray. When one side is literally endorsing known child molesters I think we can safely say that demonization is legitimate.

What's next, are we gonna both sides people who don't like Hitler?

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  But is everyone who sees themselves the slightest bit right of center the equivalent of a neo-nazi?

Depends if they are Republicans or not.

6 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Depends if they are Republicans or not.

There are plenty of people who are right of center who have long since abandoned the Republican party.  Perhaps that is what Garovorkin was driving at, “political right” and “Republican” are not coextensive terms.

36 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Negative campaigning is usually more about getting the other side's voters to stay home then getting your own base excited.

And blaming this shit on Tribalism is just completely bullshit people throw out to make themselves feel better then others and above the fray. When one side is literally endorsing known child molesters I think we can safely say that demonization is legitimate.

What's next, are we gonna both sides people who don't like Hitler?

I was just thinking we need a topic "Why do people hate Hitler?"

Archived